Large Scale Central

NWSL Chopper Problems?

Anyone else experience problems with the NWSL chopper II (the small square one) not exactly cutting stock at 90 degrees? I can’t tell if the knife blade handle is off, or the knife blade is moving when I make a cut. Here’s the problem… I set up my fence and lock it into place, place a piece of strip stock up against the back edge of the tool and make a cut. The first 3/4 of the cut is nice and straight, and then the blade angles off towards the left for the last 1/4 of the cut in a nice curve.

So I’m wondering if I’m tightening the razor blade to much, the blade is dull, or if the whole handle is the problem?

Any ideas?

Craig

I’ve had blades wiggle on me in the past, especially on longer (1/2" or wider) cuts. It may have something to do with the blade coming in contact with the near end of the cut (closer to the hinge) at a steeper angle than the far end, but I’m not sure. I generally don’t use it to cut pieces wider than 1/4" anyway, so I don’t give it too much mind.

Later,

K

Kevin,
I tend not to use the chopper for anything bigger than a 1/4" as well, that’s when my mini table saw comes in handy. I tend to notice it more on round or hex stock then flat bar stock. Right now I’m trying to cut off .030" slices off a .060" Hex rod. I change out the blade and see what happens, but remember from the past that the same thing happened (ie it’s not a new problem). I’m not too worried about the deflection of the cut at this point as I can glue all the pieces up and run a light file over it to ‘square’ it up. It’s more frustrating when you take the time to make repetitive small parts and they all need to be cleaned up. I tried cutting half way through and then rotating the stock, and then finishing the cut. That seems to help.
I looked around online last night after I posted this, and this seems to be a ‘common’ problem with the chopper with no apparent fix other then to buy a fancier more expensive chopper like tool (that is no longer in production)…

Craig

Craig, are you using new blades? They go dull at an alarming rate.

Steve,
I’ve had the problem with both new and old blades. I kind of forgot about it, until I pulled it out to use yesterday. I’m going to try a fresh blade and see if that helps at all.

Craig

Choppers are only good for chopping 1/4" or less material, if you need to chop thicker material then you need to use either:

1. Table Saw
  2. Band Saw
  3. Mini Miter Saw

All will probably need the cut ends sanded.