Large Scale Central

How I Win Against Weeds

How I Win Against Weeds: This is one heckuva good trick. I have others that I can write about later, but this is my best trick.

Plant forgetmenots and let them go crazy. Right now (May, Toronto) my garden is a sea of forgetmenot blue. There is no bare soil for weeds to set up shop, just forgetmenots in all the spaces that COULD have been bare patches going to weeds.

Wherever there is a forgetmenot, there is a) no bare soil - that’s BIG when it comes to controlling unwanted plants. b) no dandelion, thistle, or other unwanted plant, because a forgetmenot is there instead.

Forgetmenots have some big advantagess: First, they’re pretty in the spring. Right now in my garden that’s all you can see from one end to the other. (I have NO grass - not one single blade, by the way - now THERE’S a weed for you… ) Anyway, the backyard is absolutely breathtakingly lovely right now.

Second, they go great with trains. I’d better say that fast. Third, they seed themselves from year to year. Each year you’ll have more forgetmenots than the year before. I hear somebody ask. “Don’t they become a pest and overrun the place?” Well, I guess they could, yes, but one of their best features is that they are EASY to control. Pull up a Dandelion and you’ll break off the root. You can almost hear the dandelion say, “I’ll be back.” But if you need to remove a forgetmenot, it’s EASY to pull up. Meanwhile, as long as you haven’t got anything else to put where the forgetmenot is growing, just leave it filling the space. It will keeping anything else from growing in its spot.

Forgetmenots tend to get leggy - say, knee-high - and dry out when their flowering season is over and the seeds dry out, mid-late June. My wife cuts them down and I shake and scatter the seeds. Meanwhile, next year’s forgetmenots are already growing in all the spaces. They will leaf up this year and cover the ground. Forgetmenots are a biennial.

This isn’t my entire weed eradication program. But the forgetmenots are definitely my major defensive weapon. Try it yourself!

JLF

Keep them coming! PLEASE!!! Weeds are driving me nuts!

BTW have we got a national flower? If not we should nominate that ^#$*^ dandelion.
And then we all could send dandelions to 24 Sussex! Hehehe :lol: :lol:

A weed is a plant that you don’t want in your garden.

Flowers are plants that you want in your garden.

So, just decide that you want the darn thing, and it will decide to pull up stakes and go elsewhere.

Yup, Myosotis sylvatica can definitely take over…

(http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/rgseng/Plants%20on%20the%20RGS/plant001.jpg)

(http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/rgseng/Plants%20on%20the%20RGS/2012_05090006a.jpg)

Ken seems to have the idea down pat. The situation behind that building is very much akin to what I do, or, more accurately, what I let happen. Thanks Ken!

Good morning everyone! I’ve added some of my own pictures to my first post for the benefit of those who like to SEE what’s going on. Four taken early this morning, and one from wayback… Enjoy!

Steve Featherkile said:
A weed is a plant that you don't want in your garden.

So, just decide that you want the darn thing, and it will decide to pull up stakes and go elsewhere.

You got that right. There is a weed that grows in the cracks on our street that I like the look of. It’s low and has small rounded leaves. I’ve tried transplanting some to the RR several times. It flourishes fro a few weeks, then dies off.

I don’t recall ever seeing the Forgetmenots at the garden store. I’ll have to look. From the looks of the pictures I assume full sun ???

Jon Radder said:
I don't recall ever seeing the Forgetmenots at the garden store. I'll have to look. From the looks of the pictures I assume full sun ???
I've looked before without any luck. My wife says you have to get seeds. Ralph
Jon Radder said:
Steve Featherkile said:
A weed is a plant that you don't want in your garden.

You got that right. There is a weed that grows in the cracks on our street that I like the look of. It’s low and has small rounded leaves. I’ve tried transplanting some to the RR several times. It flourishes fro a few weeks, then dies off.

I don’t recall ever seeing the Forgetmenots at the garden store. I’ll have to look. From the looks of the pictures I assume full sun ???

I did that with the same results, last year. This year, I think I will take it one step further, and just start calling them flowers. I will put those plant naming stakes next to them, describing their philum, genus, species and cultivar. They don’t stand a chance. Mmwwaahaha!

I planted them last year. They look great. They become my second faverite plant next to the bluets

Ralph/Jon you have to get them in the seed packets. Remind me Sunday Jon Ill give you a pack. Ralph if you have trouble send me your adrress Ill send a pack down to you as well.

How deep are the roots on the Forgetmenots?

Interesting, Wisconsin considers the Forgetmenot to be an invasive weed. See, I was right, a weed is a flower that grows where you don’t want it to grow. My lovely bride and I were cultivating this lovely plant…

(http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/weedguid/images/bugloss1.jpg)

until we got that dreaded letter from the county noxious weed board. Now we can’t seem to get rid of the damn thing!

You buy little packets of the seeds; they’re available everywhere around here, even in grocery store seed displays. I’m actually very surprised that some of you folk seem to have had so little experience of forgetmenots as a decorative garden flower; they’re quite commonplace both here and in England as well. And Ken, in West Grove (There’s a West Grove in PA, in Alberta, and in Cardiff, so (?) ) clearly has 'em.

I never bought my original seeds, though. All my forgetmenots started about ten years ago, before I got into Backyard Railroading, with five seeds from one very sickly, neglected little flower growing in hard, dry clay in a dark corner. The next year I nurtured and protected my first five seedlings - they were my special little treasures that year. Everything else started there. At that time I had no idea that my love of forgetmenots would develop into this weed-defense strategy.

Answers to questions: Depth of root, I dunno, never a problem - Root is fibrous, 2-3 inches, maybe 4. But they pull out easy and complete and do not sprout again like taproots such as dandelions. That’s the whole point. You now have a forgetmenot instead of a dandelion. It’s a choice I’d make anytime.

As for Wisconsin’s attitude, that’s their business. I know I can eliminate forgetmenots from any area in my yard that I want clear of them, for example, a part of the Railroad now fully scenicked or planted with groundcovers and bonsai.

I can just pull them up and that’s it.

Their seeds don’t blow around in the breeze like thistledown or dandelion fluff; they just drop.

When the seeds are dry in late June, my wife pulls up the plant skeletons in great bunches, and I treck around shaking the seeds off wherever I want to encourage forgetmenots. Meanwhile, baby forgetmenots do their thing, growing their greenery low to the ground through the rest of the summer, and occupying any vacant ground that ordinarily would be a magnet for weeds. To Wisconsin, “Better forgetmenots than dandelions” is all I have to say.

Last year I almost entirely neglected both my garden and RR because I had to deal with two very aged and sick parents, driving them to endless appointments, chasing ambulances, finally moving them into a home, and then renovating and selling the old homestead, so I had no time for anything else. Despite this almost total neglect of my garden, this Spring I only had ten young dandelions and two little clusters of goldenrod to deal with. That’s a pretty darn good record. This year I assume I’ll be able to keep up with things in the garden a little better, and get back to a pretty well weedless situation.

Somebody asked about light conditions. They like full sun for sure, but they do well almost anywhere. Remember they put on their big act before the trees have leafed out fully in any case. That patio picture of mine, above - the patio is in deep shade all summer from a huge overhanging maple tree growing in the southwest corner. That didn’t prevent last year’s babies from growing up just fine, or coming into full flower over the last week or two.

If you can’t get seeds, send me a buck for postage and a SAE & I’ll fire down an envelope full. If yr in Canada shoot me a SSAE, not a looney. :stuck_out_tongue: When I do the seed thing I’ll just shake a bunch onto a tarp & save them for anyone who requests 'em, no sweat.

The last couple of years we have thrown thousands and thousands of seeds into the composter or garden trash.

I might just add here that two of my neighbours have copied my forgetmenot strategy; their yards look great! You can guess where they got their first handfuls of seed…

Steve: that’s viper’s bugloss, a very invasive alien from Europe, capable of growing in either dry soil; or marshy conditions and a serious threat to wetlands and to native plants such as bullrushes. It has a horrendous root network allowing a single plant to take over acres of ground, and is very difficult to eradicate. Be careful what you wish for, and even more careful about what you plant. Good luck with that. I wouldn’t be surprised if in the end you’re forced to use Roundup on it. Whatever you do, be sure to get it ALL.

I still intend to tell you about my other anti-weed techniques. There are several, and used all together they constitute a fail safe method of winning the war. Stay tuned! :cool:

Ralph Berg said:
Jon Radder said:
I don't recall ever seeing the Forgetmenots at the garden store. I'll have to look. From the looks of the pictures I assume full sun ???
I've looked before without any luck. My wife says you have to get seeds. Ralph
I bought the ones I have as plants, but don't ask me which garden center I got them from, but I think it was in the ground covers section. When they go to seed, I found that the seeds will stick to your pants, so from those 2 plants I bought, their all over the RR now. Full sun, full shade, part sun, part shade they seem to grow anywhere. In some places there growing up between the tracks, but they are easily controlled with a bit of Round-Up, same as the Creeping Jenny, Gold Moneywort, Blue Star Creeper, Lamium, and some others. During the winter, they die back and turn ugly looking, but pop right back up when it gets warm. I would imagine since they grow so easily, that some places would consider them invasive, but they certainly look a whole lot better then thistles or dandelions......or Morning Glory, for that matter......;) The roots aren't that deep so if the grounds wet they can easily be pulled up, but I would do that before they go to seed. They only bloom for about a month, so they're about done now.

I’ve been in Garden Centers that sell a form of Clover as a plant. I got a lawn full of clover I’m trying to get rid of…:wink:

You could always take the military solution like Dad did: Throw up your hands, declare victory and retreat.

Well, after trying several of the “environmentally friendly/benign etc. etc.” solutions - the weeds just snickered at the stuff - I finally decided that was enough. I’m now using RoundUp and shortly after the ^%$#& weeds are done it’s transplanting time for whatever is really super well established on the layout.
BTW one of the “green thumb” fraternity told me to apply the RoundUp with an eyedroper as soon as a weed rears its ugly head. Now all I need to learn is the difference between a weed and the good stuff :lol:.

Last time I went shopping for RoundUp I decided to try Spectracide because it’s about half the price. It works even better. Weeds are brown in a day or two.

Ya know olferd uses bleach, have you tried it?

Bleach, vinegar etc. etc; the weeds just snickered. Bleach was also to be THE solution to kill the stump of that curly willow. Nada, started sprouting in a very happy fashion right after.

Well, I’m still winning against weeds, even though, due to family matters, I’ve had to neglect the backyard a bit over the past couple of years. Anyway, on the subject of Round Up, and maybe the other chemicals as well, scientists have recently determined that some weeds have developed IMMUNITY !!! No, I’m not kidding; I only read this myself somewhere a few weeks ago. So that’s one more challenge facing us. Also, on a very recent trip to Lowes I read the Round Up label and noticed that it said, “Larger weeds may require repeat applications.” I believe this statement is new as well - I don’t recall reading it on older labels. It seems to me that in the past - let’s say ten years ago or more, a single application - even as little as a drop or two on the leaves, was enough to euthanise almost any plant.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/choochoo_chaboogie/_forumfiles/AugustFMN02.jpg)

Strategy TWO in my personal victory war against weeds was to use Round Up, but only on persistant perennial weeds, and only at the beginning of the war, back a few years ago now. These are the weeds with nutrient-rich taproots, weeds that will winter underground and return year after year. I would spray only the ones that I could not pull entirely out of the ground and that would re-grow from any fragment of root I left behind. There are only a few types and species that qualify for this radical treatment; I encourage you to be very specific. These villains are: mature dandelions and thistles, Queen Anne’s Lace or Wild Carrot, and a few with an agressive network of roots that sprout all along the root, such as Creeping Charley, Buglevine, and a wood-sorrel look-alike that has one of these aggressive underground root systems. One of these days I’ll have to look it up - it’s difficult to distinguish from wood sorrel. But wood sorrel has a lemony taste, FWIW. Nowadays, all these weeds are virtually eradicated from my yard, and so I really don’t need the chemicals any more. The nasty species do pop up occasionally, perhaps brought by birds or sprouting from long-dormant seeds in the soil. But they arrive now only as seedlings, and as juveniles they are easily and completely pulled, especially when the soil is loose and moist after rain. I don’t bother fussing with the weedlings. I just drop them on a pathway. Within a day they are dessicated, almost invisible, and a breeze will sweep them off the pathway…

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/choochoo_chaboogie/_forumfiles/Weedlings.jpg)

After all, I’ve got a railroad to run. :cool:

The County Noxious Weed Board wants me to use a product called “Weed Master,” for broad leaf weeds, but the County Water Board says not to use the stuff if you have a well.

I have a well.

Do these guys even talk to each other?