Large Scale Central

Turkeys!

So I have a group of wild turkeys whom think that my garden railroad is a perfect spot to root around and do whatever else they want. I wonder if anyone has any ideas to repel these dang things. I’m close to getting out the Shotgun and having wild turkey for sunday dinner…

Well, you could always leave cups of their favorite beverage laying about.

(http://www.birderslounge.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/wild-turkey-bourbon.jpg)

Perhaps they would accept the gesture of hospitality and stop making a mess.

Ha ha, I thought they made that out of wild turkey??

Use a .22, buckshot makes for lousy stuffing.

Destructive, ain’t they.
I ran a trio out of my yard after they destroyed some large flower pots in about ten seconds of scratching.
Thank gosh they haven’t discovered the back yard yet.
Skunks and Coons are bad enough. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Slightly OT, but the city of Santa Rosa, CA (~60 miles from my abode) had a turkey event last Sunday evening. Seems a guy was chasing a wild turkey off his back patio. The turkey flew up, hitting the electric wires on a nearby pole. The turkey was instantly electrocuted and fell, breaking the windshield of a new Lexus.

The resulting power outage took out the city’s computer complex, including the 911 dispatch center, and the backup power system failed to operate. Although the outage only lasted for a couple of hours, the computer center was still trying to recover on Monday morning. The 911 service had returned to normal operations, but many court cases, jail operations and other city units were still down on Monday.

No report on how that turkey tasted, but we have found (through direct experience) that harvesting wild turkeys is not worth the effort. Too much work, with too little tough meat being the result.

Now the big breasted domestic turkeys we occasionally raise are a different story. Yumee!!

Happy RRing,

Jerry

Jerry Bowers said:
Slightly OT, but the city of Santa Rosa, CA (~60 miles from my abode) had a turkey event last Sunday evening. Seems a guy was chasing a wild turkey off his back patio. The turkey flew up, hitting the electric wires on a nearby pole. The turkey was instantly electrocuted and fell, breaking the windshield of a new Lexus.

The resulting power outage took out the city’s computer complex, including the 911 dispatch center, and the backup power system failed to operate. Although the outage only lasted for a couple of hours, the computer center was still trying to recover on Monday morning. The 911 service had returned to normal operations, but many court cases, jail operations and other city units were still down on Monday.

No report on how that turkey tasted, but we have found (through direct experience) that harvesting wild turkeys is not worth the effort. Too much work, with too little tough meat being the result.

Now the big breasted domestic turkeys we occasionally raise are a different story. Yumee!!

Happy RRing,

Jerry

Don’t ja love gummerment? It give new meaning to efficiency and test scenarios. Don’t forget somebody has to write this up and analyze it. :wink:

With that said I think perhaps a Wild Turkey and Coke are in order!

(http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/Shortybear/WildTurkeyandCoke.jpg)

I want the job of shooting turkeys at truck windshields to test them for safety! Turkey Shooter 3, that’s me!

Hasn’t happened to me yet, but I have seen that happen to other drivers…sometimes through the windshield, and sometimes careening off like a crashing airplane. Not only does the windshield need fixing but the seat needs cleaning as well…:wink:

Steve Featherkile said:
I want the job of shooting turkeys at truck windshields to test them for safety! Turkey Shooter 3, that's me!
Weren't those "frozen turkeys at jet plane canopies"?

OMG! what turkeys (they are all two-legged so one better not get specific). Luckily we only have pheasants and (occasionally) ducks visiting.

I ordered one of those Ultra-sonic devices. We shall see if it works. One top of that I think I will thin the heard too. I got a minimum of 20 hanging around year round. I dont want them completely gone, because it is nice to sit on the deck, like I did this morning, and watch the gobblers strut around all puffed up.

Ric Golding said:
Steve Featherkile said:
I want the job of shooting turkeys at truck windshields to test them for safety! Turkey Shooter 3, that's me!
Weren't those "frozen turkeys at jet plane canopies"?
I'm trying to reinvent myself, so I'm looking for a new gig. If I invent a new job, so much the better..... :P

Never got hit by a turkey but did get hit by a jack rabbit!

We were in the Suburban on a desest dirt road when a jack rabbit crossing the road actually skidded across the hood and kept right on going. Guess it was a safer way to cross the road!

Was told the story of Dr. Igor Bensen and Charlie Elron testing to see if birdstrike would be a problem with Bensen rotor blades. They had a thawed turkey, and Dr. B got the rotor up to speed. It took MANY tries for Charlie to get the bird to actually hit the rotor blade, which sliced cleanly through the bird with barely a shudder in the machine. Their conclusion: It’s probably not going to happen by accident, and if it does, it’s not a big issue. Of course, Charlie didn’t throw the turkey AT Dr. B.

(http://www.outsidetrains.com/smile/71.gif)