Large Scale Central

Stanley Electric Stapler / Pin Nailer

Saw a Stanley pin nailer at home depot today for $32 bucks or so. Seems like a good deal, anyone had any luck with this?

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=HT_CONS_FAST&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=TRE550&SDesc=Electric+Staple%2FBrad+Nail+Gun

They work OK for really light duty stuff.Stapling fabric,that sort of use.
you’ll be better off spending the extra dough on a pneumatic set up.

if you have an air system, Harbor Freight had pin nailers for $25.00. Prices may be higher now but it will work for our uses

Air is the issue, all i own is a tiny airbrush compressor

check out the pin nailer and buy a small comp. and tank. Should only need 45-60 psi to work

I use the one from harbor freights. Works great for my use. I also have a small husky compresor with a braid mnailer from lowes. Works good and was inexpensive.

I agree with all of the above…electric versions are for extremely light stuff. Go with anything powered by air.

I have that same Nailer, and haven’t had a issue with it. It’s not a pin nailer, it uses 18 ga. brads or staples, which are quite a bit thicker than pins. I use a pin nailer to hold glued parts together till the glue dries. This thing holds it together without the glue. It’ll handle brads from 3/8" to 1" long. And it’s pretty powerful. It’ll countersink the brads in a piece of oak.

I did see a Bosch (sp?) at Lowe’s for 89 bucks (air powered) that seemed to handle multiple sizes. But once again, I will need a compressor.

This is drifting a little off-topic…but maybe it’ll be useful to somebody:

Over the years, I’ve progressed from a 23-ga pinner, to an 18-ga brad nailer, and to a narrow-crown stapler, all pneumatic. By far the most useful for general layout construction is the stapler. So much so, that I almost never use the other two any more (I do use them a lot on non-railroad projects). The stapler makes a stronger joint; the brad nailer is good when appearance really matters; and the headless pinner will tack things together while glue dries, but not much more.

Depending on what you want to do, a stapler might be a better first choice. I wish I’d known that.

Regards,

Steve

Interesting Steve. I have them all, and find I use the Brad and Finish nailers the most, followed by the pin nailer and a big honkin’ framing nailer. I rarely use my stapler. I guess it really depends on the project.