Large Scale Central

The Budget Builder, part IV - Flea Markets, Yard Sales, Thrift S

One of the best things about adaptive re-use is you’re not only saving money, you’re saving landfill space as well. Even if outright dumpster diving is beneath your dignity (or illegal in your area), there are always plenty of yard sales and thrift shops with all kinds of treasures just waiting to be discovered. A toy with pieces missing can become something unique. Used diecast cars and toy animals can be found at a fraction of the cost of new. The WWI Flying Ace cost me a whole 25c at a yard sale. He was one lonely piece left from what originally was a set. But I’ve lost count of how many kids (and adults) pointed and joyfully said “SNOOPY!” when they first see him. And all I did was bring him home and put him on the layout.

This Cletrac dozer started out a damaged resin one from a flea market for $5.

As purchased:

A cheap Chinese reproduction cast iron toy

Became a rather credible model for only $15 altogether

Just keep your eyes (and mind) open, and you never know what you’ll find!

I am not above dumpster diving if there is something I find I need. we use to have an open dump here I use to shop there all the time till my wife made me stop. Also along the freeway.

Sometimes Allen it is knowing tht something is appropriate for our use. Thus sharing some of our “garage sale finds” etc. with each other on forums such as this ALWAYS helps. I shared this story on MLS but years ago when my now wife & i were engaged I started to collect Elmo Express train sets and the older harder to find Big Bird Express train sets made by Illco. They were a knockoff of the LGb 2095/6 tank engine with two fo teh little 4 wheel gondolas in them. Elmo was by himself in the loco but Big bird had Oscar & cookie riding along in the cars. I took the cars and repainted them. Then I ordered custom waterslide decals from Modern Rails to become the table center pieces at the reception. I am certain the decals cost more than the cars did.

Chas

Chas…Pictures ?

Joe I’ll have to take some and try to post them.

Chas… part V will cover cheap tips to check what may work when the scale is in question. I’ve just been too busy with red tape to polish it up. :frowning:

Mik
Post these as an article so they don’t get lost.

Awesome finds, Mik! From a thrift shop I’ve managed a tractor, a pickup, and a couple of vintage flivvers all cast in resin, but these vehicles of yours take the prize!