Large Scale Central

18 "railscale

basic tools,a blessing to have, a frustation to not.I just recieved ,my railscale, what a pleasure to have a decent ruler!The background is black, tired eyes appreciate that.The gradutions are laser etched so thier satin silver.The rule is covered in a shiny smooth plastic,no scratches on delicate surfaces.The rulere is thinner than expected, but that may be an asset.Just dont bend it!It`s as acurate as i can measure…all in all a decent tool

More info, please.
I’m looking for a 1:20.3 scale (so I can quit calculating) :).

hello John; i dont know what else to post heres an adress to order from youll get many options, also they have a web page…sales @railscale,com thanks dave

And that web page would be… ?

Later,

K

Another web site is: www.thescalecard.com

Paul

try this:
http://therailscale.com/

I have both:

(http://jbrr.com/Pics/Tools/IMG_8586.JPG)

I also have the 18" Railscale and the 24" Scale card. All have their uses. The clear ones bend around objects, such as boilers - really helped when I was building my Mikado. I also like the 6" aluminum for measuring distances without any sagging. The longer rulers come in handy when I’m building freight cars.

A long time ago Kevin posted that he used metric measure based on the fact that if 45mm = 3Foot (1:20.3) then 15mm = 1 Foot. I find it pretty easy to just use that idea with a standard metric ruler. I bought a nice heavy yellow meter stick to use around the shop.

That’s all I use–regular rulers. For some reason, small plastic rulers seem to be popular give-away items at conventions and trade shows. I’ve got my extended family trained to grab some for me whenever they see them. Most have english one side, metric on the other, which is perfect. I use the english side to measure the plans I’m working from–usually 3/16" or 1/4" to the foot, then I’ve got the metric side divided into 15mm increments to know how long it is in 1:20.3. Every 5mm is 4", so you can be very accurate. I’ve got a bunch of 6" rulers lying about here and there (the aforementioned freebies) and a good 18" steel rule and an old wooden meter stick for measuring the long stuff. The only one I actually paid for was the 18" steel rule. Everything else was a freebie.

Later,

K

OK, as a once machinist, I’m used to working with decimals.
Whats 1 foot in 1:20.3 converted to decimals? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Youz guyz are making my head swim.

0.049261 ft

actually .049212598 is the full conversion to an inch. .590551181 is a foot or 15mm/25.4

John Bouck said:
OK, as a once machinist, I'm used to working with decimals. Whats 1 foot in 1:20.3 converted to decimals? :) :)

Get a metric lathe. 15.0000000000mm. See? Easy math! :wink:

Later,

K

Kevin Strong said:
John Bouck said:
OK, as a once machinist, I'm used to working with decimals. Whats 1 foot in 1:20.3 converted to decimals? :) :)

Get a metric lathe. 15.0000000000mm. See? Easy math! :wink:

Later,

K

As long as you just want a foot…

1/20.3=0.049261 Do the math. If you want the decimal for an inch, then you need 1/(12)(20.3)=0.0041050903119 ft

The way I equate it I keep coming up with 3 apples high?

1 foot in 1.20.3 = 15.014778 mm

guess that is close enough for short distances, and of course for buildings.

Regards, Greg