Large Scale Central

Carrotwood Trees

Hey you guys down there in Florida, what do you do to prevent carrotwood trees from putting out berries in the spring? My layout is beneath a 40 yr-old tree that’s dropping hundreds of seeds and seed pods everyday. What a mess! I’ve heard there’s an oil that can be spread on the ground to prevent fruiting and seed formation.

You could try Preen, I use it and it seems to help but I still get lots of Mulberry seedlings growing, so may not do much about preventing tree seeds from germinating.

I’m surprised the tree cops even allow that tree in your neighborhood. In some places it is listed as a “invasive pest” tree.

We don’t seem to have tree cops, but if we ever do, I would be the first to sign up just so I could outlaw this tree and proclaim an ex post facto law to get rid of mine. I understand it is outlawed in Florida as an invasive pest. It puts out literally jillions of seeds each spring. The seed pod rivals titanium for strength, especially as they age, and god help you if you step on one barefooted. Otherwise, the tree is reasonably clean, nicely shaped, and evergreen. If it weren’t for the d–n seeds and seed pods, it would be the perfect tree. I’ve heard about an oil that can be sprayed on the ground around the tree to prevent the tree itself, not its seedlings, from flowering and, thereby, forming seeds. Am I correct, and if so, is Preen the product??

Our Cottonwoods have cost us a septic tank so far!

I’d try a saw. :slight_smile:

Preen is to keep the seeds from growing.