Large Scale Central

'Volunteer' Dwarf Alberta Spruces?

This spring I found I had 4 tiny dwarf Alberta spruces growing in my railroad. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this in theirs?

I have numerous pine saplings that I’m nursing. I don’t think they are from the dwarf trees, but rather from the 50 foot blue Spruce, or the 20 footers that the railroad is built under.

I’ve got about 200 Maple seedlings growing in and around my road. Any chance I can save them as Bonsai?

I’ve had Dwarf Alberta Spruces on my railroads for years… Never have gotten any ““Volunteers””

Last night my son and I dug up a number of oak and one pecan seedling that have come up in the gardens. He will put these in his father-in-law’s greenhouse for the next couple of years to get them to a height to plant on the “back 40”. As my boy says, he is slowly turning the farm back into a woods. I think it will look quite nice in about 150 years. :wink:

I have a bunch of red and sugar maples growing in the layout. Every so often I get a cedar growing. (maybe thats whats growing). They do look like spruces when the first start growing and they are often found growing in abanden fields.

Dave Marconi said:
I've got about 200 Maple seedlings growing in and around my road. Any chance I can save them as Bonsai?
I don't know about Maples, but so far the Cedars I've kept trimmed small are doing well. But if you have 200 freebies, give it a try and let us know. Lots of Maples in the woods here too. Ralph

When I prune the Alberta Spruce, I dip the clipped ends in rooting hormone, then stick it in some potting soil. Some survive. Free Alberta Spruce.

Andy Clarke said:
I've had Dwarf Alberta Spruces on my railroads for years... Never have gotten any ""Volunteers""
Me neither. In order to reproduce, some kind of flower or cone must be produced. I've never seen that on the Albertas. However, I do get seedlings from the two giant Spruces in my front yard. But they are covered in cones every year.

Try mulberry’s they seed very well…:slight_smile: