Large Scale Central

Rock Mold on the cheap

I am a bit to anal to go out and drop loot on a mold for rocks, nor do I want the same ones as every one else out there. I unfortunately need about 130 square feet of rock face, so had to have a plan, since my talent level does not support carving them, let alone waiting for just the right moment to do so. Instead I took an 18" peice of 2X12 and a couple of 2X2s, and went to work on the table saw. Not quite to my liking just yet, these rocks will get a bit more finishing before paint. the problem area

The cheapy mold of ‘stuff’ laying around the shop.

The rough finish:

and a view from the track

The track view looks pretty good.
I like the innovative use of materials on hand.
Ralph

Don, neat idea… Am interested in the finished look…

I pondered this one for a good while, and tried a couple of other methods, but this seemed to work the best for the look I am after. I’ll have to wait a few days to do any finishing. Once it cures to a light gray I’ll know more about what I am up against.
Thanks guys.

Wow, good idea!

a foot and a half done, 60 (or so) to go
Thanks Jerry

I’ve heard of guys using crumbled up heavy-duty aluminum foil to make rock molds. I saw one guys layout in San Diego that used this method and was impressed by the look. I’ve been meaning to give it a try, but with the abundance of rocks around here, haven’t yet had the opportunity.

Great idea. Now I understand your comment on my thread :smiley:

Jon, defintiely not intended to be any manner of cheap shot! Nothin but respect for those of you who actually have a talent for this stuff! On to the project… I used a high-tech carving tool to add some texture (a 3" wood screw)then I got some grey latex paint on it, and once dry, wet it down with the hose and hit it with dye mixed with alcohol. Not quite what I am after just yet, but the dye did do some highlighting of the recesses. The latex should have been thinner than I had it, and it filled in more than I would have liked, but the idea is there, and some of the recesses remained as I liked. I’ll probably end up carving and painting again, but you can get the idea from this picture, as brutally close as it is. I’ll try to get one from a bit farther away so the highs and lows are more visible.

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/don_pearson/_forumfiles/with_paint_and_dye.jpg)

Don Pearson said:
Jon, defintiely not intended to be any manner of cheap shot! Nothin but respect for those of you who actually have a talent for this stuff! On to the project... [i][/i]
Didn't take it as a 'shot' - I was thinking portal, and you were talking about the cut walls. When I saw these pictures I figured that out.

An I have lots of respect for those who can think in 3 dimensions. I would have never come up with a form like that - would have tried to sculpt the mortar.

Great idea! I know concrete dye is some peoples friend, but I find it to be very messy. You might try some spray bombs of flat camoflage colors and over spray to blend. Yes, over years it will fade but so does nature and our eyesight, so it might work. The earth is basically dull and faded, that is why a flower looks so brilliant. Concentrate on the dull and blending, just over spray, no direct shots. Remember concrete gray is a color in nature.

I went out and picked up a gallon of exterior flat paint and had it mixed to a color (Old Stone I think it was. Thinned out a bit it should cover ALOT of area. A light gray which should take darker highlights pretty well.

That is a good idea and it looks real good too me!

Thanks David. The close ups are always brutal. I does look just a bit better from a distance, and the next bit going down will have more detail carved, and a much thinner paint applied so it should look quite different than this. I have a straight run of 18 feet to cover, and will likely try to do it all at once and get the fun (PAIN) over with all in a single shot rather than dink around with it for several days (or weeks).

But somebody ate the photos! (cry)

We need the pictures back!