Large Scale Central

Weeds - one remedy Preen

For those who dislike pulling weeds, a product that has worked for us in sunny (read hot) So. California, is Preen brand granuals. They are spread among flowers, not lawns, and the product appears to cause weed propagation failure. It certainly works on our layout and in the succulent garden.

Any experiences using Pree from other readers?
Wendell

Susan always used lasso granules in strawberries and flowers to keep the grass out.

I have not used it on the layout but have used it in some beds that have perennial weed problems and have not been impressed. I even bought some mulch last year that had Preen impregnated in it and it also failed to produce the desired results. This is in the central Ohio area, our weeds must be more hardy here.

Wife’s used it on the layout for the last two years…

Roundup ultra, used it for the last two years, problem weeds in driveway, kills for up to 4 months, and also use it to edge lawn and also layout in the back yard. Works great works for over 4 months. I also have another tip after you spend $23-24 at Wally Weird for the one in the big bucket with the nice sprayer, just spend $14 after that (unless you have an old regular or ultra Roundup pump/sprayer) for the refill one and pour carefully into the empty or old sprayer. Also watch out for the sprayer on any of em make sure it is totally shut down or off before you move from a spot where you sprayed. Learned the hard way, I have a couple of spots just now starting to grow back because I did not notice spay did not shut off of a couple three seconds and walla killed stuff or areas I did NOT want to kill. Lesson’s learned the hard way. Regal

We’ve had mixed results with it, but the wife seems to like it. While it doesn’t kill existing weeds it does prevent new weeds from growing for a limited time. I prefer the Round-Up myself.

Susan always kept 2 sprayers, one for insecticide and one for herbicide 'cause she didn’t want to accidentally spray herbicide on her fruit trees.

We had a section that was kindof weedy, so she got out her herbicide sprayer to spray some 24D and get rid of the weeds in that section. She thought she had 24D in her sprayer from last fall. It was roundup. Took quite a while to get that part looking nice. “Suzie, you can tell by smell. Roundup smells spicy and 24D smells like a rain.”