Large Scale Central

Cheapy solar lighting for buildings

Our local Mal-Wart had these little solar garden lights for $3 each

The light part comes off the stake with a simple 1/3 turn… which led me to the idea of using them to light some of my Piko buildings. 3 of them face the morning sun, so the backside is washed with bright light all afternoon. The first step was to cut the back window 2 ‘boards’ wider to clear the solar panel.

Then I framed the hole with Plastruct… It looks sorta like a picture window now, I hope.

I had 2 here that I could do tonight so this is what the installation looks like from the inside AND the outside. Not to awful or noticeable.

I tried to take a pic of the lit buildings, but the flash overwhelmed it. IMO the color is a bit too bluish, I’m hoping a wash of pale yellow will make it look more like incandescent lighting… I’ll try it and report back. The buildings on the other side of the square will be a bit harder to hide the light. Once I figger out how to do it I’ll post it here.

Hey kewl idea Mik. That sure beats digging to run wires.

I got my solar lights at Harbor Freight. Just make sure the nicads can be replaced They last about two years.
Another tip. If you need the light a little brighter, use some foil in the building so it’ll reflect.