Large Scale Central

Small brass bar stock?

It’s time to work on some valve gear…which means I’d like to get some brass bar stock.

But, everywhere I look it seems the smallest they stock is 1/8" square. Or 1/8" x 1/4".
MicroMark has 3/32" square TUBE, but I prefer something solid.
McMaster-Carr has 1/8 square, as does OnlineMetals, but I’m really looking for smaller pieces, such as 3/32" square, or some 1/16 x 1/8. Hobbylinc has some ultra thin stuff, but nothing like 3/32" square. The closest they come is 1/32" x 1/8" which really isn’t stiff enough.

I’m not really interested in hexagon, or rod, or rectangular tube - just solid brass.

I’d like to get a bunch of decent sizes at once.

Any other suppliers I missed?

Look thru this K&S Engineering at Caboose Hobbies.

http://www.caboosehobbies.com/catalog/index_home.php?manufacturers_id=480

Oops. Forgot to mention them; I do have some larger pieces on order through them. Thanks, though - that’s a great link.

I looked through the K&S assortment at the hardware store and they just don’t seem to make what I want. I’m going to try working with the square tube. I bought some 3/32 stuff that might work.

Unless you are looking to actually transmit power through the rods rectangular brass rod should be more than strong enough. Heck I’'ve built full working walschaerts valve gear completely out of styrene successfully…

Bruce -

If you plan on painting the rods, you might be able to fill the tube with solder to end up with bar stock.

Hello Bruce,

Brass rods under 1/8" are available at

American Model Engineering Supply, Inc www.americanmodeleng.com

Small Parts www.smallparts.com

Coles Power Models

Sulphur Springs Steam Models

Ger

Gerald Pierce said:
Hello Bruce,

Brass rods under 1/8" are available at

American Model Engineering Supply, Inc www.americanmodeleng.com

Small Parts www.smallparts.com

Coles Power Models

Sulphur Springs Steam Models

Ger

Hi Gerald,
Welcome to LSC.
We met over at Doc’s early this Spring.
I see you made some nice progress on your pike.
Ralph

Thanks. I think I’ve got what I need. Of course, I have to get to that stage to make sure. :wink:

Bruce,

I have ordered a lot of K&S, but I do so through Special Shapes. Any order recvd by K&S is forwarded to Special Shapes. Some years ago I compared the item lists and special shapes carried more items. How or why, I don’t know, nor do I care, but I order from Special Shapes.

Barry - BBT

Barry,
I checked them out and they do carry a LOT.

Do you know if there’s a minimum order size? I have a feeling that I might not use as much as you do. :wink:

Bruce,
Try PM Research. Problem is min order. Also go on e-bay live steam and look for a item by PM research. They have a e-bay store called The Steam Chest. They have square brass bar stock starting at 3/64ths and up on page 7. Check them out.
Noel

Guys,this won’t help you much on your side of the big pond but here in UK check out www.modellersmate.co.uk.Good prices and selection of metals and fixings for model making.
Regards
David

Bruce,

I was not aware of the minimum order, maybe they mentioned it a long time ago. The point I was also trying to make was their list contains most everything available (maybe not) to us. If you find it listed, you know some one may have it (maybe me).

Barry - BBT

Sorry but I am a 60+ Jewellery student. I’d get brass sheet of the correct thickness and chop it on a guillotine. Your local University would probably do it for you. I buy my sheet and stock from Edwards Metals, Birmingham, UK.
Bob the Bodger