Large Scale Central

Cutting copper pipe lengthwise?

I’m making progress on my big station roof and have been thinking about using real 1/2 inch copper pipe for making rain gutters and using smaller copper tubing for the downspouts.
I need to cut the 27 inch length of pipe down the middle and don’t have a bandsaw. Any ideas? I was thinking about a putting a metal cutting abrasion type blade in the table saw.

-Brian

Yikes! Even with a bandsaw that could get dicey.
Might be easier to roll a strip around a form lengthwise such as another pipe.

I’m not sure that I would want to tackle that task. I agree with JB, get some flat stock and roll it around some PVC or galvanized pipe.

Let us know what you decide and how it works out…

I think I may try to use my 4 inch metal cutting blade on the angle grinder that I use for cutting track.
I’ll have to experiment a bit.
I do have some copper flashing left over from my train watching gazebo. If I double it up it may work too.

-Brian

Do you have a drill press? If so, there is a way to create a jig to hold the pipe and you can cut it with a hack saw. Very tedioous to do, but possible.

A bandsaw would be the best tool I can think of to do this task. A Dremmel table saw with a metal-cutting wheel?

Drill a hole in a block of wood a bit larger than the tubing, insert the tubing and run it through your table-saw?

Get a piece of good hardwood that is square (or cut it square on a table saw). It should be about 6 inches long. Using a drill press and a long drill just a bit bigger than the pipe, drill a hole through the middle of the wood from one end to the other. Mark the center on one of the sides and using either a hand saw, band saw, table saw cut about 3 inches into the wood from one end. This gives you a slot for the blade that puts it in the middle of the lengthwise hole. This creates the jig for cutting the tube. Clamp the jig you have made with the slot over or across the blade of the saw (power) Make sure the blade comes up through into the top of the jig enough to cut the top of the metal tube. Now push the metal tube through the jig with the saw running - gives you two half pieces of tube. If you use a hand saw, clamp the jig in a vise. Mark the tube down the top center to give you a guide mark. Use you hacksaw in the slot, slowly push the tube through using the index mark to keep it straight. The hand saw is the hardest way, but it can be done.

Good luck

The prollem I see is keeping the tube from rotating while it is being ripped.
But anything can be done in this hobby…