Large Scale Central

Table Saw Suggestion - Under $300

I have read the table saw threads but I still would like some advice on a lower cost saw.
My budget is under $300. I want a portable bench saw as I will be storing it in a shed and pulling it out when I need it. I am not a carpenter and will not be building cabinetry for the house. I just need to rip and cut the occasional boards for shelves and hobby. I’ve been borrowing a $100 saw but I would like something a little bit better.

Craftsman, Ryobi and Hitachi seem to be the choices for Sears, Home Depot and Lowes. The Craftsman and Ryobi have sliding miter tables. All are aluminim, 15 amp and cost $249 to $269.

Here are the links:

Home Depot Ryobi Bench Saw - http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100593232&N=10000003+90401+500744

Lowes Hitachi Bench Saw - http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=159362-46578-C10FR&lpage=none

Sears Craftsman - http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921806000P?vName=Tools&cName=Bench+Power+Tools&sName=Table+Saws

I appreciate your comments and suggestions on these saws.

I have the cheaper Craftsman table saw and have been very happy with it.
Also have an inexpensive Craftsman miter saw that has served me well.
Can’t think of any Craftsman tool I’ve ever been disappointed with.
Ralph

I do not think any have belt drive, but if one does that would be my primary choice.

So many new models to pick from every year.

I had a Hitachi at work ($299.00) and had some woodworkers use it, they where impressed with the accuracy and smoothness of the cuts. Had a better quality blade installed.

Just my 2 cents worth

I also have the entry level Craftsman 10" saw. It’s far from a precision saw, but it has served me well for a $200 investment over 5 years ago. The fence and table extensions are it’s weakest points. The motor is direct drive.

I bought a 10" Roybi on sale at Lowe’s two years ago for $149. After having a Sears and Black and Decker I can tell you this saw runs rings around them. I only use it for stripping down lumber to model sizes. I suggest puting your money in good quality blades as they are what really make it happen.

Big John

Well,
I visited HD three times yesterday. After looking at the Ridgid TS2410Ls I couldn’t put my money down on the Ryobi and left. Went back again to get the Ryobi, again started comparing it to the Ridgid and left empty handed.
My darling wife said quite screwing around and get the saw I wanted so after a third trip to HD I now have the Ridgid TD241-LS in my shed. Went over all the adjustments and spent most of the day cutting wood for car shelves.
It may be overkill for what I need it for but I hope to have it for a long long time. I did get a Freud Diablo 10" 80T finish blade for fine cutting.

Thanks for you help.

Great decision Ward. You can never buy too much saw. Perhaps the Ryobi would have done the job today, but the better saw will serve needs you don’t know you have yet. What feature of the Rigid saw swayed your decision?

Hi Jon
Mainly the fence and miter gauge.
On the Ridgid the fence alignment was repeatable and it had a micro adjustment feature. The miter gauge was mostly metal and used a standard size slot. The Ryobi used a sliding table type miter gauge which some people like but I was unsure of.
The Ridgid website has a forum and the TS2400 and 2410 got good reports and people said they were set up to go right out of the box. I did spend about an hour checking and correcting very minor alignments.
And the Ridgid weighed almost 35 lbs more than the Ryobi. I figured that the extra weight would make a more stable saw. I couldn’t compare the ease of setting the two saws up but the Ridgid set up and broke down very easy.

Even thought I only used it to cut wheel slots in shelf boards for my car storage, on Sunday, I know I will get a lot of use out of it in the future.

Ward,
how about a link to that Ridgid forum?

Chas

Sure Chas,
Here it is: http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/index.php

Thanks Ward. The fence and miter gauge slots are the weak points on my entry level Craftsman too.