Large Scale Central

Worker Shacks for the Durango & Jasper

Beautifully done!!

Richard

Jim Rowson said:

Nice set of suggestions Korm and John. Thanks!

Meanwhile, I just went ahead and did some more stuff because I have a club open house tomorrow and time is ticking.

Here is the deck being placed:

And after adding some braces, here’s the shack in place with door, windows, and roof:

A closer look:

And from further away:

I’m satisfied for now. Lots more details to be added, but this is good enough for tomorrow (I guess it has to be :-)).

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, it helped a lot!

Cheers!

that really turned out well Jim. How many more you putting in the community ?(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

They look great. I think I could call one of those home, except I might need a wood stove.

Or a stone fireplace with hooks hanging down from the mantle for the stew pot …(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Thanks all for the encouraging words! My wife and I are on an epic road trip so no progress recently (5,500 miles into it and not done yet!).

I didn’t get a chance to add a wood stove to this one but that’s what the wood is for. More details to come for sure.

I don’t remember the exact number of these I’m building but it is on the order of 6 (?) more? Each will be at a different height, different colors, different kinds of roofs.

At least one should have a stone fireplace. If I can figure out how to break up the granite rocks I have to make smaller pieces to mortar together so it matches :-).

Cheers!

Shawn Viggiano said:

They look great. I think I could call one of those home, except I might need a wood stove.

Me too but I would rarely use the outhouse with a deck like that to take a wiz off of.

BTW? is that some sort of cacti by the outhouse Jim?

Rooster: Yeah, the current loose plan is to do desert plants (succulents) in Durango (the city) and have forest (deciduous) plants in the Jasper forest/mine area. Just to have some variety. I have a grand total of 3 or 4 cacti-ish plants, none of which are planted, so this is a very early concept, we’ll see what happens.

Jim … I love cacti (especially the red ones like that) but never had any luck with them indoors here in PA. Which I’m sure it’s the caretaker that is the problem.

That’s why I asked.

Edited to say: with the exception of a Christmas Cactus that I have had for many years.

" Rooster " said:

… but never had any luck with them indoors here in PA. Which I’m sure it’s the caretaker that is the problem.

most common problem with indoors cacti is drowning them in too much water.

This is a kind of repeat of the voting post of my recent Mik Challenge build (build link): more worker shacks. This is for those who stumble across this post and so I can summarize all my worker shacks in one place. Those of you who followed along on the Mik Challenge will not see anything new here.

The build started with a couple of platforms aimed at putting a house on each of the rocks next to the existing shack:

The bottom shack is board/batten:

And the upper shack is clapboard:

The lower was painted gray, the upper red:

And here are the final pictures after decks, stairs, and roof treatments were done:

For these shacks, special attention was paid to the roof details and weathering:

At least 3 more shacks to go…

Hey, I like those! Nice use of space and great construction/weathering.

Love the corrigated metal ridge cap(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Rick

I wanna know whats in the barrel on the roof going inside !

Rick: Thanks! I actually wondered about the corrugated ridge cap. Seemed a bit silly to have the corrugations running across the roof, but hey, what the heck!

Rooster: Let’s go with whiskey, wdyt? :slight_smile: