Large Scale Central

Wife "there is alot of money on those shelves.."

My wife is genuine Irish so that means she is smart and really knows how to pick her battles. so far in this marriage I think I have been getting away with murder. LOL

That is a funny poster Vic.

It is such a shame that the high jumping General Lee suddenly became a symbol of racism for the small minded PC Social Justice Warriors.

The Dukes of Hazard was a good fun show.

Has anyone who lives South of the Mason Dixon Line ever thought of painting a train engine or boxcar like the General Lee ?

Todd Haskins said:

Has anyone who lives South of the Mason Dixon Line ever thought of painting a train engine or boxcar like the General Lee ?

Now that is raciest or discriminatory or something. . .whatever it is I am offended. Why is the right to paint a General Lee boxcar have to be reserved for a Southerner. I want one.

Vic,

I have a '27 Chevy two door sedan with about 85% of the original sheet metal. It is sitting in my dad’s shop. I so badly want to build it. . . It is a cool hot rod just waiting to happen. It very likely will be put up for sale very soon. That money will go to pay for a paint job and keel repair on my Chrysler 21 sailboat also sitting at dad’s. I should sell all of them and then I would have money for my layouts.

Anyone want a '27 Chevy project car.

Not mine but thats the original.

My wife knows exactly how much money I spend or have spent on trains. She has to manage our money as I would spend it all on trains and leave the rest of the bills unpaid and the truck out of gas. Should something happen to her, I have a trustee that will control the money for me. But she knows the trains are important to my mental stablity being Autistic. She is trying to set back a little each paycheck so that I can get a small live steam engine at some point instead of borrowing my friends all the time. Mike and Michele T

Mike Toney said:

My wife knows exactly how much money I spend or have spent on trains. She has to manage our money as I would spend it all on trains and leave the rest of the bills unpaid and the truck out of gas. Should something happen to her, I have a trustee that will control the money for me. But she knows the trains are important to my mental stablity being Autistic. She is trying to set back a little each paycheck so that I can get a small live steam engine at some point instead of borrowing my friends all the time. Mike and Michele T

I think trains do wonders for everyone of us and they help us with our mental stability.

I know when I can’t fall asleep I don’t count sheep but I do think about the workings of a steam engine chugging slowly down the track.

Huh. . .I have lost more sleep laying awake at night thinking about trains than I care to admit. Nothin worse than needing to get up at 3:00am from a sound sleep because you suddenly had an idea for a model that couldn’t wait.

Devon, I keep notebook by the bed, so I can write down my ideas, and then go back to sleep. I enjoy my sleep. And if I had the space for that car, I would be interested. Oh yea, if I had the space, the time, and the money, I would be interested.

Todd, some would argue, that my mental stability is in question, especially since I play with toy trains. My mom questions my stability, since I replace the wheels and couplers on every piece of rolling stock I get.

If you can write, you can turn the hobby to your advantage ($$$). Todd(s) know this and regularly get paid for writing articles for Garden Railways Magazine.

As I said, my investment is low and many projects have supported the costs of building the railroad. When I did the Garden Railways Magazine competition, I received $760 for my efforts. Several other articles have also been published, the least of which paid $50.

When I came up with a new signal system for Lewis Polk (never went to market), that paid a $1K in Aristo products. Lewis also paid me in product to re-write the TE manual and test the TE for HO.

We also used to get paid to do The Big Train Show home tours, but now do it gratis.

David Maynard said:

.Oh yea, if I had the space, the time, and the money, I would be interested.

Thats the problem. That and my car looks nothing like that car. Until well into the 30’s Chevy used wood for the interior framing. I have a pile of sheet metal and a frame. Lots of time and money to make it a reality.

I get to brag on my wife, I own a Peterbilt, and always want more chrome, stainless steel accessories, but instead of wanting a new rear bumper with all LED lights, custom made, $2200.00 I am way into G scale and planning my layout. She has said several times that if she would have known I would get into this hobby she would have jumped at the chance to show me an article in a paper about a layout tour. She sees this as an inexpensive hobby compared to the others, 32 Ford, sold it in construction phase, 1969 Dodge Charger, still want, 2014 Dodge Challenger SRT and so on. Now she was outside with me last weekend looking at possible track plans to get a loop or something going, " i want to see something running around our yard". She says if it something I can do and have fun with, go for it. Plus we do all our bills every week together, so I cannot hide much.

Pete Lassen said:

Plus we do all our bills every week together, so I cannot hide much.

Ah ha! That’s when a wife knows too much! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

My wife does the bills, I ask for an allowance.

I pay my half of the household bills, and most of the repair costs, and the rest is mine, all mine, mine mine mine… (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

I get my weakly weekly spending money so I can squirrel leftover money away if I am careful about spendingwhile on the road. And she has her … well its kind of unknown to me, cash she gets every week that she uses and she wants to see some progress so after we do bill , we look at things we want and decide if the want is in the budget. But all in all she is understanding… very understanding of my want list

I take mine to swap meets with me . As I’m looking she gets board and goes hunting for “cute”. If she finds something I get out the guilt card.

Dave M.

My wife is an accountant, so I don’t get to hide much. She gives me a present on my birthday for the “Train Fund”, which is in a separate bank account.