Large Scale Central

Why Train Travel Sucks in America

Devon, the last logging railroad in the United States was the Simpson Railroad owned by the Simpson Lumber Company, LLC, out of Shelton, WA. It closed down operations in 2015. As I understand it, there are still logging railroads operating in former Soviet bloc countries in Eastern Europe.

As a young Western Canadian, I used to travel on the Canadian on a regular basis as a tourist as it was affordable and even in Via Rail early days was reasonable. Now it is a very expensive high end tourist train. So while I check its website regularly, it is too expensive even when “deals” are offered. So Amtrak has become my relaxing way of travelling, often the trip being the goal rather than the destination. I love the Empire Builder, Essex and the Isaac Walton can usually be seen in the early morning and some mountain scenery from there. The plains are interesting from the train and the Mississippi is a treat to travel alongside. The return California Zephyr is fabulous for mountainous scenery after Denver. The trains are affordable and comfortable. But for my wife recovering from a dual hip operation recently, the Empire Builder was a considered holiday in September…

Steve, there still is an operating logging railway in British Columbia, the Canfor Nimpkish-Beaver Cove on northern Vancouver Island.

Myron

Back in 2006 11 of us flew to Pittsburgh for a wedding, then rode train the next day to NYC. Found out later there is an express train that didnt stop everywhere. left Pburgh at I think 1pm, arrived in NYC at 11pm. with change of locos from diesel to battery electric, I mean electric in Philly. Ok ride, big problem was only a snack car, no dining. After 2 days we rode Amtrak to D.C., all 11 of us. outside of town I noticed the mile markers and then noticed how quick they were coming, got my watch and timed them 28 seconds a mile, asked everyone to guess, closest was 85 actual 128mph. nice and smooth.

2nd train trip was SW Chief from chicago to Phoenix… Flagstaff 142 miles north of Phoenix. Leave 3pm arrive in Flagstaff @ 9pm next night. Price was just about the same as airplane ticket, $ 128/00per person. $476.00 more for sleeper berth, meals included. We got to eat after sleeper people and like Vic said meals were really good, a little $$ but good.

All in All I would ride again, and look forward to it, but the video is missing some points,

1 A lot of people want the “trip there” to take as little time as possible as to lengthen their vacation. If you only have 5 days to make a trip and 2.5 or more is getting there that stinks.

2 Sleeper berths are EXPENSIVE compared to coach, we both slept ok in the seats, but that was 7 years ago too. Not sure how we would fare now.

3 we had a “lady” who pretty much left her 2 3 and about5 kids alone for most of the ride to play with an on board romance. the one kid had an ear piercing scream when he got mad which was often

PLUS FOR RIDING TRAIN

1 Its a train, we all love them.

2 being able to walk around is a nice thing, of all the airplane flights I have take I have NEVER unbuckled my seatbelt in flight.

3 Scenery, It is cool to sit in the Observation car looking out as the great US scrolls by, I dont carree if it is prarie or mountains you are see something other than the seat in front of you.

4 having conversations with people around you, in the obs, car, the diner or in your seating area, you can meet new people of so inclined

5 Its a train. its what we like.

Ray Dunakin said:

As much as I love trains, they are an antiquated form of transportation. As mentioned in the video, even in their heyday, passenger service rarely broke even, much less made a profit. Trains only make sense for shipping very large quantities of material.

That part of the video is wrong…passenger trains were absolutely very profitable for 100 years…

1840’s to 1940’s.

they were the only practical way to get anywhere for the majority of that Century, (no cars, no airplanes) so they were used by everyone, all the time…

it was only after WWII that the rise of air travel, widespread automobile ownership by regular people, and the construction of highways, that long distance passenger trains became unprofitable.

Scot

Scot Lawrence said:

That part of the video is wrong…passenger trains were absolutely very profitable for 100 years…

1840’s to 1940’s.

they were the only practical way to get anywhere for the majority of that Century, (no cars, no airplanes) so they were used by everyone, all the time…

it was only after WWII that the rise of air travel, widespread automobile ownership by regular people, and the construction of highways, that long distance passenger trains became unprofitable.

Scot

I’m sure some were profitable, but just because “everyone used them” doesn’t mean they always made a profit. Passenger operations are much more expensive than freight.

The Pittsburgh and Castle Shannon had an odd arrangement. When a person bought a plot of land in Castle Shannon, they got a one year ride pass on the railroad, for free. So, the P&CS did not make money on passenger service.

Passenger trains almost broke even because of the US Mail contracts. Other costs were written off to advertising for the freight operations. At least that’s the mantra of the “no more passenger rail folks,” now.

Whether its true or not, I dunno.

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip on the Coast Starlight from Portland, OR to Ontario, CA, two years ago. I wasn’t impressed with the dining car, remembering the Empire Builder when it was operated by the Great Northern (yeah, I’m that old ). but the rest of the trip was great. I didn’t opt for a sleeper, the coach was just fine for this old sailor. I met some wonderful people, as I expected that I would. My daughter in law packed a fine lunch basked that kept me going all the way back to Portland.