Large Scale Central

Weathered a Chessie Hopper

mike dorsch said:

Nice job on the weathering Ken , that car came out real nice . The more you do the better it gets Matt .

That’s John’s car, I just posted the picture for him.

Andy, maybe I should be a line to the bluestone southern and have your guys clean them up. hahaha! Thanks!!

John, that is a work of art! Love it! Is that a custom painted LGB hopper? I’m wanting to fade the logo’s on my next one, just like you did. Have any tips?

Thanks Mike!

Cuz,

Don’t know how John did his but if you want to fade and weather the logo just start with 1000 grit sandpaper and drag it downwards over the logo towards the rail (like mother nature does). I use 600grit myself but giving you the learning curve and 1000 grit is something several cans of liquid balls can’t really screw up.

Understand?

lmao!!! Read ya loud and clear cuz. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)Oh, and thanks! I was going to try some acetone on them after I had cleared the whole car. I wasn’t sure how to make sure it only faded the logo. I was going to use a q-tip…but really wasn’t sure. lol.

photos OF the weathering taking place would be cool for us without the fortitude to attack a new car. Great jobs Matt, and John

i think mine was an accident , like most things in my life. I taped it to paint the roof and some of the decal came up wit the tape. I have also used sandpaper with very good success.

Thanks Pete! I might have made a post one time of me doing my CSX Sd40-2, or was it a csx hopper and posted them here… really not sure. Next time I tackle a project, I’ll take some progress pictures. That being said, not sure if I’m doing it right so enter out your own risk. lol.

John, that’s pretty accurate. I’ve done the same. I think I’ll try some sand paper on a logo for the next car. Thanks!