Large Scale Central

Usatrains nw2 motorblocks

What size brass tubing is used for the collar? I’ve forgotten.

Steve Featherkile said:

What size brass tubing is used for the collar? I’ve forgotten.

Steve,
Scroll back and you can see illustration that shows:
K & S #9828 (10mm dia. x 0.45mm wall thickness) Brass Tube
-Ted

IIRC, I just bought a 3 foot length of 3/8" OD from the big box hardware store and it is like the bunny, it just keeps going and going and going…

Thanks, Ted.

Thanks, Ted.

Todd Brody said:

IIRC, I just bought a 3 foot length of 3/8" OD from the big box hardware store and it is like the bunny, it just keeps going and going and going…

Caution!
When deciding to use what size tubing to make repair collars for the USA Trains split plastic gear axles, keep in mind that tubing is measured by outside diameter, whereas pipe is measured by inside diameter, therefore, it’s critical to know the inside diameter of the tubing when using it to make the collars to slip over the USA Trains split plastic gear axles.
Expecting 3/8 diameter tubing to work in this regard, as with any tubing, is consequently dependant on its wall thickness.
For the K & S #9828, its inside diameter (expressed in English units of inches) is 0.018 inches for wall thickness, thus, x2 = 0.036 inch (doubled to account for the circular surround) and then subtracted from the K&S tube outside diameter of 0.394 inch yields 0.357 inch. That is the target value applicable for the repair collars to fit over the plastic gear axles for the USA Trains F3, GPs and NW2 - there may be others.
-Ted

The walls on my tubing appear thinner than in the photos. As I said, I flare the end a bit and these push right on in the vice.

Ted Doskaris said:

Todd Brody said:

Caution!
When deciding to use what size tubing to make repair collars for the USA Trains split plastic gear axles, keep in mind that tubing is measured by outside diameter, whereas pipe is measured by inside diameter, therefore, it’s critical to know the inside diameter of the tubing when using it to make the collars to slip over the USA Trains split plastic gear axles.
Expecting 3/8 diameter tubing to work in this regard, as with any tubing, is consequently dependant on its wall thickness.
For the K & S #9828, its inside diameter (expressed in English units of inches) is 0.018 inches for wall thickness, thus, x2 = 0.036 inch (doubled to account for the circular surround) and then subtracted from the K&S tube outside diameter of 0.394 inch yields 0.357 inch. That is the target value applicable for the repair collars to fit over the plastic gear axles for the USA Trains F3, GPs and NW2 - there may be others.
-Ted

So, Ted and all involved here, I am looking to invest in a press, Eric’s die , and tubing to fix my many axles on the many old USA ENGINES I own and run . You mentioned in detail K & S #9828 tubing , I had captured another size somewhere in these threads so is #9828 exactly what I need to press on my axles ?

thanks

Nick Hernick said:

So, Ted and all involved here, I am looking to invest in a press, Eric’s die , and tubing to fix my many axles on the many old USA ENGINES I own and run . You mentioned in detail K & S #9828 tubing , I had captured another size somewhere in these threads so is #9828 exactly what I need to press on my axles ?

thanks

Yes, K&S #9828 tubing is what I used on the USA Trains F3 / GPs and NW2 2 axle locos. I have yet to do an SD40-2 or SD70 3 axle loco, so I can’t say if the K&S #9828 tubing is good for those at this time.

I have Eric’s die, and it makes it so easy to get the wheels in gauge whilst assuring the gear is center as needed for the 2 axle locos. It’s used with a device to press the wheels on, which could be a dedicated press, drill press or vise. Prior to getting Eric’s die, I had improvised a method to press the wheels on so the gear would be centered.

My thanks to Eric for such a great product.

-Ted

It’s good for all USAT diesels, although there are slight variations.

again, here is a link: https://elmassian.com/index.php/large-scale-train-main-page/motive-power-mods-aamp-tips/usat-motive-power/split-axles

I recommend getting Eric’s spacer blocks.

Greg