Large Scale Central

USAT Hudson - Battery/RC

Hello Tony, how did your testing go?

Can you please give me a guide as to when the RCS # RELAY-5v (hopefully complete with wiring diagram) will be available?

All the best

Mike in UK

Hello Mike.

The testing went well this weekend.

The 5 volt relay is in a USAT GP-38 and worked as expected. I will process the photographs and write up the installation today. It will be posted as soon as I can.

Hello Mike.

I tested the # RELAY-5v in the GP-38-2 I have been working on over the weekend.
Passed with flying colours.

They will be available in a day or so and will be a fair bit less than the other version I have been using for years.
A$ 19 and as they will fit in the low cost Large Letter rate, they will be post free.

Instructions and wiring diagram HERE.
I will try and get the USAT GP-38-2 battery R/C installation article ready in a day or so.

Thank you very much indeed Tony.

I’ll be ordering one!

Mike in UK

Finally got round to USAT Hudson Disassembly!

I had researched this carefully before attempting to remove the boiler top. As per advice and pix by others I removed one screw (forward, centre one of three between cylinders) and two screws at rear, below cab.

The boiler now lifts off at the front but not the at the back, cab end.

I can see that the grab-rails(?) at the back of the rear wall of the cab are holding the two halves of the loco together. Like everything else about this fine loco the grab rails are made of metal.

Whats the best way to proceeed? By bending the vertical grab rails so that they can be moved to release the cab? At the top or bottom? Both ends appear to be well seated/fixed. I’d be very reluctant to cut them!

Very Many Thanks in advance

Mike

Hello Mike.

That is how I got the loco apart.

I don’t remember being stalled by hand rails.

Many Thanks Tony

I had no difficulty freeing the handrails at the front of the loco!

At the top or bottom? Both ends appear to be well seated/fixed.

(Disclaimer: I’ve never done this to a USAT Hudson.) I usually free up handrails like those by sliding a screwdriver under the rail at the end, as close to the bend where it enters the body as possible. Then slightly twist the screwdriver blade so it pulls on the bend and eases the handrail out of the hole.

Thanks Pete.

Thats just what I started trying but there’s a formidable amount of resistance at the upper end.