Large Scale Central

Unusual Consists

Lou;

I wasn’t suggesting using any B’mann passenger cars with any Aristo cars…no sir…

It is the mixing of the Aristo, heavy weights with the Aristo stream liners. The only thing I suggested using together was B’mann passenger trucks on the Steam Gennie, and the express reefers, and using a B’mann reefer for the base of an express reefer. The B’mann passenger trucks give the impression of high speed passenger trucks.

Why does “modeling” the “operations” have to be “exactly” like the railroads supposedly do? Just about and “modeling “ can somewhere be found in the 1:1 world so however someone wants to “model” their “operations” is probably how they see their railroad “operating” . I have limited space to use for my railroad and no ability to turn a train around , so to put some trains into the yard I have I have to drop a consist on the main line, run light around the entire layout then shove the cars into the yard. Not quite “modeling operations“ but on my RR it gets the job done without using the 5finger switcher. Now to eliminate the 5 finger turntable for the locomotives.

This is not an unusual train, but since Fr. Fred noted the dearth of more complex passenger operations, I thought it might be appropriate to mention the chapel cars. One of my daughters gifted me with the book, This Train is Bound for Glory, The Story of America’s Chapel Cars by Wilma Rugh Taylor and Norman Thomas Taylor. The idea of chapel cars to deliver church services to remote communities along the railroad actually originated in Czarist Russia on the Trans-Caspian and the Trans-Siberian railroads in the 1880s. The cars brought the Russian Orthodox mass to remote communities along those rail lines.

The first North American chapel car was built in 1890, but the final car was decommissioned as late as 1962. Denominations staffing chapel cars included Baptist, American Baptist (originally called Welsh Baptist), Episcopal, and Roman Catholic. The cars were considered part of the outreach and mission service by each denomination. The cars resembled a coach or Pullman, but carried names like Evangel, Emmanuel, Glad Tidings, Good Will, St. Anthony, Herald of Hope, and Grace.

About 1/4 to 1/3 of the car was set up as living quarters, and the remainder of the car was similar to a church sanctuary, with the alter/pulpit on the end nearest the living quarters and the seats resembling pews. No doubt the cars with smaller living quarters were used by one or two priests, and the cars with larger accommodations were used by a missionary/pastor and family. Most likely an upright piano or foot treadle type pump organ provided musical accompaniment for singing the hymns. The book notes that folks in remote communities along the line were glad to be able to attend church services, and the presence of the cars sometimes led to small community churches being started.

A chapel car would be a worthy project to model, and the book does provide scale floor plans in an appendix. Some furniture items for the car could be made using half inch scale dollhouse furniture. I have used it to make a business car from a Delton shorty coach. Folks adept with 3D printers could probably make some nice alter pieces, pulpits, and pews. A fun project would be to use a sound recording chip to record a hymn being sung.

Just thought I would add this idea to the “pot.”

Have fun, David Meashey

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/john_caughey/T.jpg)

1. I knew what Fr. Fred meant.

2. John wins. Is this what they mean by “Deadheading”?

Since it came up, the OR&L operated and marketed funeral services, to include services for the indigent, at $10, shipping the deceased in a funeral car. Services included opening and closing the graves. They cost $10. The services ran from 1900-~1906, when the two funeral cars disappeared from the roster and two combines suddenly appeared (Source: “Next Stop Honolulu!” by Jim Chiddix and MacKinnon Simpson, 2004). I guess the competition for the service was too “stiff!”

Eric