Large Scale Central

Trucking was our other Hobby.

My dad used to drive trucks, mostly cement mixers. In 1964-65, we lived in northern CA near Eureka and he drove a gasoline tanker on night runs to backwoods gas stations and small towns. One of my favorite memories was when he took me with him one night. I think I was 10 at the time.

On another night, a brake shoe was dragging on the tank trailer, and caught the tire on fire. My dad said he was going around a curve and saw this orange glow in the mirror. When he pulled over his first instinct was to run, but then he figured the fire was still small enough to risk trying to put it out before it got bad enough to blow up the tanker of gas.

Ray,

Where did you live “near Eureka”? I was born and raised in the Arcata area and everybody drove logging trucks or worked in the mills, or on the fishing boats of course.

Rick

Rick, in '64 we lived in a little house out in the woods, near Freshwater. That was the year they had the “thousand year” flood. The road from the highway to our area crossed a canyon with a little creek down at the bottom. During the floods the water came over the bridge several times and flooded the surrounding farmland, leaving huge redwood logs behind.

There was a massive patch of blackberry vines next to our house, that was as tall as the house. We picked enough blackberries to keep us in jams and preserves for a long time after we’d moved elsewhere.

I was in fifth grade. The elementary school in Freshwater was an old four-room, two-story building. One room had first, second and third grades in one class. Another room had fourth, fifth and sixth grades. Third room was used for storage, and the fourth was a combination gym/meeting hall. There were a lot of swallows nesting under the eaves of that building.

Out front was the original one-room, little red schoolhouse, complete with belfry. We went to Vacation Bible School there, and my dad (who had recently been ordained) held church services there on Sundays. I’ve looked on Google and the little red schoolhouse is still standing. The elementary school has been replaced by a modern building.

Before the school year ended, we moved to Arcata, and lived there until I graduated from the sixth grade. Then we moved to San Diego.

I remember the logging trucks, they were everywhere back then. I also remember the big pulp mill on the bay, and how sometimes when the wind was blowing the wrong way, we could smell it all the way over in our neighborhood.

We toured the pulp mill once, and also a couple large lumber mills. I recall being very impressed by machinery to handle those big redwood logs, especially the debarker. That used a powerful jet of water to blast the bark off the logs, and had big hydraulic arms to turn the logs as needed.

Ray,

Very cool. I remember Freshwater well, one of the few schools in the country i didn’t attend as a kid. Do you remember the big swimming hole and picnic grounds down on Freshwater Creek?

I remember well the floods of 1954 but I had just left for boot camp (November 1st, 1964) so wasn’t home for the Christmas 1964 floods but Mom sent me all the news clippings showing the flooding on the EeL, Van Duzen and Mad rivers. Lots of friends and family lost property and suffered much from that “great flood”.

In Arcata did you go to Stewert School or Pacific Union, or maybe Sunny Brae?

Yea the pulp mill was a blight but I had moved away by that time. The mills you visited, if they were the “big mills” that could have been Hammond or maybe Arcata Redwood, or maybe Simpson had taken over by then. One of the little mills was on the Samoa spit just as you crossed the Mad River Slough coming out of Arcata, that was the original mill site of what is now Sierra Pacific Industries, now the largest private land owner in the state of California.

The Timber Heritage organization has taken over and is beginning restoration on the old Hammond Lumber Company roundhouse at Samoa, if your ever back up that way it is worth a visit.

Link— http://timberheritage.org/

Fun to remember old times

Rick

“Do you remember the big swimming hole and picnic grounds down on Freshwater Creek?”

Nope, I don’t remember that.

"In Arcata did you go to Stewert School or Pacific Union, or maybe Sunny Brae? "

Sunny Brae! Had some interesting adventures there. They had a huge field that was mostly grass, the playground only took up a small portion of the area. Way near the back end of it, next to the fence, was a culvert with a wooden cover that could be easily moved. I was one of a few kids who would sneak into it during recess, and then explore the storm drain and see how far we could go. One kid would stand guard and send us a signal if a teacher was approaching. :slight_smile:

Also, the swing sets were surrounded by a deep layer of pea gravel. Some of us kids would pull the hood of our jackets over our faces, and then let the other kids bury them in the gravel. The gravel was loose enough you could breathe through it, with the cloth hood preventing you from inhaling the gravel. Then when someone came near, you could jump out of the ground and scare them. As you can imagine this was definitely not a sanctioned activity. :slight_smile:

Money was pretty tight for us in those days, and my dad used to go down to the bay and collect short segments of logs that had floated away from the mill and washed ashore. Then he’d sell it for firewood. We often had to help collect this stuff, early in the morning before school. Not much fun especially when it was freezing cold, damp, everything was covered with a thick layer of frost, and our shoes had holes in them.

“The mills you visited, if they were the “big mills” that could have been Hammond or maybe Arcata Redwood, or maybe Simpson had taken over by then. One of the little mills was on the Samoa spit just as you crossed the Mad River Slough coming out of Arcata, that was the original mill site of what is now Sierra Pacific Industries, now the largest private land owner in the state of California.”

Unfortunately I don’t recall the names of the mills.

We want pics guys!

Good thread Pap and digging the “old school pics” you posted !

This post has been edited by: Rooster for post count

Unfortunately photos from my childhood are exceedingly rare.

Ray Dunakin said:

My dad used to drive trucks, mostly cement mixers. In 1964-65, we lived in northern CA near Eureka and he drove a gasoline tanker on night runs to backwoods gas stations and small towns. One of my favorite memories was when he took me with him one night. I think I was 10 at the time.

On another night, a brake shoe was dragging on the tank trailer, and caught the tire on fire. My dad said he was going around a curve and saw this orange glow in the mirror. When he pulled over his first instinct was to run, but then he figured the fire was still small enough to risk trying to put it out before it got bad enough to blow up the tanker of gas.

Good story Ray

When I was training to load Gas at West Sacramento Tank farm, one of our instructor and a few of other guys doing the test and getting qualified. The instructor told where all of the fire Emgr. buttons was. Then he thru a lighted match in to a empty tanker under the fuel rack and slimmed the lid down. WE WERE OUT OF THERE IN TWO SEC. Then he yelled at us and ask us all to come back to the fuel rack. I was about a block away by then. He ask me why i didn’t push the Emgr Fire button… I told him that if the fire dept couldn’t see the fire a few blocks away, be no need to push the fire button… I had to do the class over again.

Later on, Ill tell the story about coming off the Grape Vine into Backersfeild with fire on back trailer. No place to stop on a 6 % down grade for over 20 miles…

This is a model of the same one I was driving for two years.

We know… it not all trains but we hurried home to play with them thro… lol