Large Scale Central

Train Wall

Next up was putting some trains up on the wall!
Started with the American flyer side and I am very happy that my entire collection fit! It was great un-wrapping some of my fathers trains that have been stored away for years.

(the middle four shelves are all my fathers)

I may order a few more pieces of shelving so I can fill in the rest of the wall, but that will have to wait for some extra cash to become available.

Next up was all the large scale stuff… well, all of it that I could fit.

While I managed to get a lot of stuff up on the wall, I still need another whole wall for the rest!
I was a bit hesitant at first about the weight of some of the engines and how sturdy the shelving would be but, not a issue at all.
The shelving is plenty strong enough and we used #10 x 2" sheet metal screws right into the studs.
I am sure I will be re-arranging what is up on the shelving to make it look a little better, but for now…it’s late, and I am tired!

Nice job Vince. Who gets to dust them :]

That’s a really beautiful display of your trains. Large scale trains take up so much room, even a lot of shelves, really fill up fast. That is great.

You know Vincent I think that shelf on the concrete wall should be a back & forth or test track.

Looks fantastic… :slight_smile:

Jon Radder said:

Nice job Vince. Who gets to dust them :]

I am really…really hoping my soon to be wife will be helping out with that!
I do have to say though it does not get that dusty in my basement, unless I start trying to build something and I have saw dust flying everywhere.

:slight_smile:

Sean McGillicuddy said:

You know Vincent I think that shelf on the concrete wall should be a back & forth or test track.

I have plans for a basement test track, I need to finish up my bridge first as that got put on hold while the wall was being built.

Vincent,

Nice looking racks. I could never have those in my house because my wife would notice how many trains I REALLY have.

Dennis

Your shelves and trains look great. As for dust I call it weathering.
Sean has a good idea to have a show off test track on that bottom shelf infront of the engines.

Todd Haskins said:

Your shelves and trains look great. As for dust I call it weathering.
Sean has a good idea to have a show off test track on that bottom shelf infront of the engines.

I could just power the rails and put some roller wheels under each engine…I wonder if my Bridgewerks transformer could handle that.

:slight_smile:

Outstanding! Great transformation … and fast too :wink:

If you had it in you to do one more thing?..
Just suggesting.
I would put a top shelf right against the rafters protruding out a bit. Maybe attach a sheet or tarp to the front and roll it up to the ceiling? Have some type of tie or velcro strap to hold the roll.
When you do work, you could unroll it down and protect the trains from the dust flying off your saws. Otherwise, I would ban the router and table saw use unless the trains are outside running!
It looks great to see a wall of trains. It’s much nicer than the pile of boxes I have! Great job!!

Joe Paonessa said:

If you had it in you to do one more thing?..
Just suggesting.
I would put a top shelf right against the rafters protruding out a bit. Maybe attach a sheet or tarp to the front and roll it up to the ceiling? Have some type of tie or velcro strap to hold the roll.
When you do work, you could unroll it down and protect the trains from the dust flying off your saws. Otherwise, I would ban the router and table saw use unless the trains are outside running!
It looks great to see a wall of trains. It’s much nicer than the pile of boxes I have! Great job!!

Great job indeed, and a good suggestion from Joe. I just covered a bunch of shelves with a cheap roll-down blind from Home Depot.

to cite an unmentioned forum member: is it done yet?

or do you plan additions?
looks very nice. (maybe a little bit too orderly…)

Korm Kormsen said:

to cite an unmentioned forum member: is it done yet?

or do you plan additions?
looks very nice. (maybe a little bit too orderly…)

It is done, not sure if I will be expanding it to another wall.
I need to clean up and move around my storage shelves that are holding the rest of the trains (and all the empty boxes for the trains that made it to the wall) and see if I can come up with any more space for another train wall.

Really nice display. But I agree with Dennis. Now you have them displayed and your soon to be wife will be able to take stock of your trains and notice any new additions!!!

Jake Smith said:

Really nice display. But I agree with Dennis. Now you have them displayed and your soon to be wife will be able to take stock of your trains and notice any new additions!!!

I am not worried about it, she is coming with me to York this year to help me pick out more stuff!

Vince

The train wall looks GREAT !