Large Scale Central

Train Show July 8-9 Pomona CA anybody?

Exhibit at the Show

The mission of the Great Train Show is to promote the hobby of model railroading. Our staff is dedicated to providing high-quality events that truly promote the hobby in a positive way. We want people attending our shows to leave so excited about model railroading they can’t wait to start building a model railroad! What better way for the general public to become model railroaders than to see operating model railroads up close?

You can be a part of the show and help grow the hobby of model railroading. Operating exhibits are a vital part of every Great Train Show. The layouts at the show help draw people in to the hobby, attract young people to model trains, provide hours of fascination to attendees, and give people at the show inspiration for how they can improve their own setups. Participation of model railroad clubs in particular is vital to the hobby, as the show can help clubs to gain new members and increase these people’s involvement with model trains.

Model train gauges and scales are welcome to apply for inclusion in our shows. You don’t need to be a model railroad club; individuals are welcome to bring smaller display layouts to the show as well. We try and feature as many different layouts at each show as space Model train layouts of all gauges allows.

http://a83.fe4.myftpupload.com/layout/

You’re right, Greg; looks like BS to me.

One of the problems I see is sellers asking full retail on most items combined with buyers that want things 80% off, middle ground on buying and selling needs to be found.

Last year I paid 20 bucks for the little woman and me to get in the door to the train show and came away empty. No deals to be had in Large Scale. I fared much better at the BAGRS club swap meet.

I know quite a few folks on these forums (fora? sp) still believe that the large scale railroad hobby is still viable. I’m of the opinion that it is slowly “dying out” and going away. Here in So. California, we have the ideal year-round weather for outdoor large scale. But even with that factor, many of the “old timers” have just stopped participating. Greg E. still has a large layout at his home and still participates. Paul Burch is still in the hobby with his beautiful and very large layout in Gig Harbor. I haven’t heard if Dennis Serrine is still running his huge layout in Arizona.

I haven’t purchased any Fn3 stuff since 2013. I still keep my models maintained and batteries charged, but just don’t run anymore. A few years ago, I went back to modeling in 1/8th scale and the ride-on hobby. With vendors like San Val now gone, the Big Train Show on the Queen Mary and Jonathan Bliese (EMW) leaving the state for Arizona (he was my main man to go to for my Fn3 purchases and my RC?battery installs), I just lost interest. Ridee-on trains is my sole interest now. Note my posts here on LSC with various “builds”.

I think these shows are trying to attract new blood into the hobby, but not allowing enough space for large layout like Del Oro or unique layouts like Door Hollow to attend is the wrong move. Just my humble opinion.

All I can say is their mission statement is not reflected in what they are doing. Fewer layouts, and mostly vendors selling used stuff.

This does not cater to expanding the hobby and bring new blood into the hobby in my mind.

The Z scale boys use cell phones to control the trains, and are standing “outside” the layout where people can interact with them.

The Del Oro is impressive in the amount of space it takes, and the nice displays, but there is little interaction and “getting people into the hobby”

We cannot depend on these shows to generate interest and grow the hobby, again my opinion.

Greg

I also believe that G scale as a whole is on a decline and if your into Fn3 its on a major decline. The only company still pushing Fn3 seems to be Accucraft, they just did a nice rerun of most of the rolling stock and they are looking at adding a new car to the J&S passenger line but locomotives are done. Accucraft already said that the “K” class and “C” class steamers will not be made again along with many others and with Bachmann pulling out for now I just don’t see anything coming at all.

I’m back, Bridgeworks DID show up, so they are there with lots of deals, Hans at Gold Coast had some early Delton and Aristo C16s for great prices, more G than I expected, sad the Door Hollow was the only G layout on display inside, it was hotter than Satan’s frying pan outside so I had to skip the Fairplex layout. Went to the Upland Trains open house before the show and I have to admit between the two I bought way more than I should have, but then these were things I needed, okay wanted, and I couldn’t beat the prices, especially when compared to the open thievery on ebay.
The haul: Upland:
Piko 060T
2 green LBH passenger cars
2 LGB feldbahn starter set passenger cars
2 truckless busted MDC ore cars, easy to fix.
Gold Coast:
3 LBH tank cars
Bridgeworks:
2 Bachmann side dump wooden ore cars
Overall a very good trip despite being located in Satan’s frying pan.

That Accucraft Goose for $600 seems like a good deal at Upland Trains. Don’t remember the number but its a large Goose with front fenders

I will add that while I was there I saw ALOT of G being bought and carried out of the show, so somebody is still interested

Also re exhibition layouts, it helps alot if the club or displayers doesn’t ask for any “honorarium”. It was hinted that that was a big reason a couple layouts were turned down, but I’m pretty sure it was because they got too small of a hall for this show. The SWGRS was in the bigger hall and had plenty of room for everything, layout and vendors.

People are still interested in the items they need and because of the limited supply you pay more than you otherwise would. G scale is turning in to…If you need it and see it you better buy it or lose it or maybe never see it again.

Bob unfortunately I tend to agree with you about that. I’m buying stuff I don’t have room for because I’m thinking about 5-10 years down the road when Who knows what will be available or for how much $.

I didn’t even know there was a show today!