Large Scale Central

Track Planning Software for Windows PC

Steve Featherkile said:

The software works well for the smaller gauges, but when it comes time to put it on the ground, there is always that damn cherry tree, right where the wye is supposed to go. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)

I think this is the most sound sound piece of wisdom given yet. I am about half way through putting down the foundation of my railroad (combination of ladder and bench work) and it is much different what the computer says I can do and what is really happening. But I will agree that spending hours with your space and design ideas shows you what can be done and different ideas on how to best use the space. It works out the major details of the layout.

Ken, I don’t have RR Track installed at the moment, but I was pretty sure it had flex track capability… although I’ve never seen any program that made it easy.

Greg

Bruce Chandler said:

I remember when I was planning my second layout how important it seemed to get a good software planning tool. In retrospect, I found it only a little bit helpful. As a disclaimer, I used mostly flex track.

For my yard it was very difficult determining the exact size and location of my trees and bushes. Not only that, I thought my back yard was fairly level, but putting the track down in place quickly dissuaded me of that notion. Very uneven and not level at all. You need measurements that are very close if you’re going to go buy track based on the software.

My first outdoor layout I put the track down on the yard and used rubber bands to hold the pieces together - and then ran the train around to see how it would look. I ended up using bricks to level the track in spots.

For track planning, I would recommend going outside and laying a hose where you think it would look good. It’s much easier to move the hose around than redraw it on the computer. Alternatively, just sketch it out on some graph paper; it will be quicker. It doesn’t have to be totally accurate, you’re just trying to get an idea of how it will fit in your lot.

Once you get the basic “flow” of the track, then go ahead and put it into the software program. Consider getting some flex track for those sections where you need to fudge a curve or just add a very large radius piece of track.

Do you have a particular focus? Railfanning, operations, whatever? Having a focus can help you concentrate on ideas that are important to you.

Edit: put in some bigger paragraph breaks! Yikes!

Yes Bruce, I l had an old hose laying out in the backyard for a year before I built the railroad. Taking grade measurements from the hose, I discovered the grade was steeper then I thought it would be, so I adjusted the plan. Then I found the pass-through in the rock wall wasn’t angled right for the plan, so I adjusted the plan. Then I sat and watched imaginary trains run along the right of way, and tweaked it a bit more.

Then when I built the railroad, my mom said that she didn’t realize it was going to be that big. Ah…well, I guess I was the only one who could see that old garden hose.

I use AnyRail and found its flex track capability quite easy to use (almost intuitive) and accurate. My layout is all SVRR flex and it did not require any tweaking or adjustment from the completed AnyRail plan. I am quite satisfied with both the product and David Hoogvorst’s support. It was definitely worth the $60 that I spent for the full version back in 2010. I don’t think that it makes any difference that my RR is indoors.

I have used SCARM extensively and liked it. I am creating my layout with almost all USA Trains track only and was using the Aristo as an approximation. This works great, except their #6 switches have very different geometry. I have given measurements to the author of SCARM and he is working on adding a USA Trains library.

I wanted to try out RRTrack but they had no demo. I am not interested in buying software I cannot try first.

I have tried out 3rd Planit and I really liked it. It had USA trains track. I found it frustrating a bit at times selecting but otherwise it seemed pretty good.

I also tried out AnyRail but it didn’t have USA Trains track. If I am going to buy software, it needs to support the track I am using.

I am hopefully going to install my track within the next few weeks. I am waiting for the roadbed I ordered from SplitJaw. I will then find out just how close i was able to get from my plans to implementation.

With SCARM I drew up my yard in another free CAD app. I measured various things including fence lines, pavement etc… I exported this as an image and brought it into SCARM. I then scaled it up based on a line of predefined length in the drawing. This worked well for giving me an idea where track would be with respect to my yard.

I mostly didn’t spend money other software because most of the pay software I could try was so close to what SCARM could already do that it just wasn’t worth the money.

Greg Elmassian said:

Ken, I don’t have RR Track installed at the moment, but I was pretty sure it had flex track capability… although I’ve never seen any program that made it easy.

Greg

It might Greg, though for me it was easier just using the Aristo track library. All I was looking for at the time was how much track I could fit in a certain area, how big a module I needed for that, and get an idea of just what it would look like. What I ended up with by no means, looked like what I had designed, but it was a big help when I started to build it. It was that old saying “What looks good on paper doesn’t necessarily translate to reality”.

I did buy a CadRail program years ago, but that had such a high learning curve to it, I never did get used to using it.

I have tried out Anyrail and SCARM, but I was much more comfortable with RRTrack, since I’ve been using it for close to 20 years.

And it gave me something to play with over the winter once I decided to rebuild the layout…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

By the way my entire layout, all 850’ is sectional and my experience using RR Track parallels yours. I had similar needs, mine specifically were a small backyard and I had to struggle to maintain 10’ minimum diameter.

Greg