Large Scale Central

Todd H Mik 2021 Build

as cool as this build is, you better make sure it doesn’t roll off the table like Dave T’s build did!

Pete Lassen said:

as cool as this build is, you better make sure it doesn’t roll off the table like Dave T’s build did!

I don’t think I have to worry about that but the table it sits on might collapse! Poor Dave and his setback. I do like his attitude that he can rebuild better and the bent brake wheel adds character.

The other day I was leaving my shop, turned off the lights, radio and heard a crash. It was a Bachmann Pennsy passenger car that I bought for a future project that fell to the floor about 7’ and smashed. It figures that it couldn’t have been a cheaper car but oh well I was going to take it apart anyway, the floor just helped me.

Todd, usually forced disassembly does not go along the proper steps and along parting lines, hope you are able to salvage it. All these 'jeeps" and cars falling has suddenly made me decide to move my latest locomotive acquisition to a ground level spot for a while until I can figure it out.

Todd, usually forced disassembly does not go along the proper steps and along parting lines, hope you are able to salvage it. All these 'jeeps" and cars falling has suddenly made me decide to move my latest locomotive acquisition to a ground level spot for a while until I can figure it out.

OOPs finger stutter , hit the button 2 times, oh well , everyone wants to hear my thoughts over and over. LOL

I have been tinkering on the build and it is moving along but now there is only 2 WEEKS LEFT!! Yikes!

I’m happy with the way the stairs came out. I used 6d finish nails for balusters. I’m not sure if I will paint it black to resemble wrought iron or grey for a more modern galvanized look.

The window frames are on but I’m not sure about the colour. I thought it was going to be more grey but it looks more green. My wife likes it and still wants the dark red windows but I’m not so sure. Another option was grey but it might be washed out too much. Decisions decisions. The roof will be black the docks painted brown or stained brown. The white “foundation” will be grey like concrete or maybe I should do bricks? (there is only 2 weeks to go Todd)

I still have the windows, grids and the roll up doors to do and build a cradle for the all important can.

Seeing the handtruck and the chair in the background of the picture make me think your wife might be right about the dark red; could set all the greys and blacks off very nicely.

Whatever way you go, it’s turning out really well, and I feel your pain when it comes to TWO weekends left. Oh my.

It has been a slow week of progress but I got a few things done.

I cut the plexi and then cut and painted the window mullions using 1/2x1/2 hardware clothe. I’m kind of kicking myself for number one making too many windows in this building, 26 in total and then cutting the openings for them. What I should have done is to paint the back of the plexi black, attached the mullions and then glued it to the side of the building. Another mistake was adding the trim to the window before the plexi is in. In other builds I use the trim to hold the plexi and grids in but that makes it tough to paint.

What I have done for this build is I sprayed the back of the grids with adhesive and then stuck it to the plexi. I did this to 6 smaller windows and it seems ok but I’m not sure what will happen in the long run outdoors so when installing those 6 I pressed them into place and then put a drop of E6000 in to 2 corners so hopefully that will hold them in place.

I also built 3 doors using a piece of plexi and craft sticks glued to it with E6000

I wanted roll up doors for the warehouse and bought a 8 pack of cake pans for $2 that I cut and ran through the crimper. I then cut a 1" dowel in half on my bandsaw for the top and added trim pieces to the sides. I pinched the edges of the crimped aluminum in my vice to flatten it so the trim would fit better. The whole deal is held together onto an old metal real estate rider sign with E6000. I made 4 of these. The other smaller door will be made out of craft sticks and glued directly to the wall as these 4 will be.

I also built a cradle for the required can.

Besides another coat of green on the building, 2 coats on the trim and a ink wash on the 2 dock sections that is about all I got done.

There is still so much to do!

Amazing how much time the details take! Good stuff… clever use of common items…

I love the use of common items! This year was my first attempt at making mullions. What a pain!

Eric Mueller said:

I love the use of common items! This year was my first attempt at making mullions. What a pain!

it is not that difficult. you just need some stiff plastic or plexi as base. all the rest is glue-on.

look:

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/14136/2011-challenge-the-greenbuck-hotel?page=2

What the heck happened to the 30 days ! The main structure went together so fast I thought I would be done in a week or 2 and be twiddling my thumbs but nope. This one is going to be a photo finish. It didn’t help that my back went out last week and I have had to take it slow sine then, I have a Docs appointment tomorrow, but also that I forgot that I needed 25 windows NOT the 20 that I made oops. The windows proved to be a problem installing despite the jig I used to cut the openings with each one being a custom install. I also had to glue a thin strip of plexi across the back to hold the window in place from behind when I planned on attaching from the front. It passes the 5’ rule.

The roof panels were cut from hardibacker board the other evening. I was on a roll and had to bundle up and work under a shop light cutting that dusty stuff outdoors. The next day I was able to give it a coat of black oil based paint. They will be put on over the next couple of days.

I will be painting the gable ends and 4 doors a light blue to give the building a true Victorian look with 3 colours. There is still so much to do but I should be able to get it done.

Here is where the build stands today.

I feel your pain, Todd.

With this Covid thingy, my back goes out more than I do.

[Brump, brump, I’ll be here all week. Don’t forget to tip your waitress!]

Todd,

That is an impressive structure. In size, detail and character.

@ Todd… I can Sympathize, Got a bit oversize… And… Oh Yeah… “I Need A Can”

Works for me…!

Todd, the fact that you have gotten this much done in such a short period of time is truly impressive. And to think, it took that massive structure to support one can (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)Looking forward to the roofs and final details. Well done!!

Thanks guys.

It is now crunch time!! AHHHH is there a way to get glue and paint to dry faster ?? Actually the build is in pretty good shape and is 99% done. Paint can dry over night tonight.

Gotta go and stick more junk on!

Todd Haskins said:

Thanks guys.

It is now crunch time!! AHHHH is there a way to get glue and paint to dry faster ?? Actually the build is in pretty good shape and is 99% done. Paint can dry over night tonight.

Gotta go and stick more junk on!

Yes…

Zap-a-Gap for CA and a low setting in the oven for paint. Don’t tell your wife I suggested that. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

The final bits were glued on just in time to watch Tom Brady win his 7th ring at the Superbowl.

It was funny yesterday. My wife hasn’t been down to my basement shop to check on the progress but I have been showing her photos of it along the way. Yesterday she came down and saw the building on my work bench and said that thing is big! I then directed her to the other half that was on the floor, plus the bridge that will connect the 2 large pieces she then corrected herself and said that thing is HUGE! Thanks dear I’m glad you like it.

Here are a couple of glamor shots. Yesterday we received nearly 6 inches of crusty snow so putting this building in place for more photos will be impossible but I will get it outside over the next couple of days to snap the photos for judging.

I am very happy with the overhead lights. I can’t take credit for the idea but I recently saw it done by Daniel Smith on the G Scale Trains Facebook page. They are suction cups. The wire hooks are bent and stuck into the top the whole then it was painted grey. I only had 4 suction cups and went to 2 stores on Friday to find more without luck so 4 it will be. The small lanterns by the doors were made from a wire nut, a piece of clear plastic pen and a push pin. The shiny linoleum nail goes through nut and into the wall. I made a similar porch light on my Taylor stone Mik build of the Irish pub. 2 more tin cans found a home on the back of building #2.

This building is BIG but that was just what I wanted. Happy RRing!

Good for the quarterback! It’s that damn jackass coach up there I never could stand.

The build is just beautiful, fantastic. You did a great job, really.

SUCTION CUPS! What the heck! I never thought of that. Something to look out for when I’m in the stores. And simple wire for the support. Thanks for this, or thank the guy on Facebook.

Can’t wait for the final pictures.

how big around are the suction cups? about 1/2" or so?