Large Scale Central

The Legend of the Napkin Drawing

Vic Smith said:

Hehehe, the following is based on my long time in kit modeler going back to as a kid in the 70’s.

The basic problem with “blueprint builders” that I have observed, is that they very rarely actually finish anything. They are soooo obsessed with getting everything absolutely correct it takes them years to build anything. Now that’s fine if you are building an individual model car or model airplane, I’ve seen some incredible models that were total scratch-builds where every bolt is accurate. I’ve also seen grown men almost come to blows over who’s identical aircraft model of the same plane was “more correct” to prototype. Now that’s one thing because the models are static objects, its easier to build solid forms that only have to look correct, but try it on a working locomotive and now you have to incorporate motors, wiring, circuits, etc. That means compromise, and that complicates the process, now its one thing to do this in HO or even O, where there is a huge parts selection that usually guarantees finding correctly sized materials like wheels or details, but switch to LS and now the only way to do this virtually necessitates the use of a milling machine, simply because the pool of available parts to choose from is extremely shallow, now say that one day your going to have an entire room sized large scale model railroad layout based on the “blueprint builder” mentality and what your basically saying is, “I’m not going be anywhere near finished before the next millenia”

I am the Blueprint Builder anti-christ, hell, half of my builds were done with no plans whatsoever, based on NKP (no known prototype), it just “felt right” when I built them. But I like that, I like the results, and I have a load of fun building them, which in the Blueprint Builders religion "fun "is heresy punishable by death by angry beady eyed glaring.

…meh, big deal. I’m having fun, and instead a pile of blueprints and a 1/10 finished 15 year old model of K-36 483 as on the morning of Dec 12, 1947, I have a display shelf full of zany expression of my own creativity. Does my work give these guys conniptions? I certainly hope so, because they need to relax and lighten up, this is a hobby that’s supposed to be about fun and enjoying yourself, and expressing yourself. But they make it a job and an unplesant job that’s like being an IRS tax accountant when you want to be doing plein air painting on a beach.

It all just sounds, so extremely… un-fun… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Yep. As far as I can tell, this guy has never actually BUILT anything. I did a bunch of googling of him with his usernames, his email addresses, etc. He is always talking about his collection of blueprints and how they cost a fortune, blah blah blah. But I havent seen ANY INDICATION he has actually done anything with those blueprints besides let them gather dust.

Maybe he collects blue prints like some collect trains ( never run them " collectors").

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Maybe he collects blue prints like some collect trains ( never run them " collectors").

Probably true, but he insulted everyone that doesnt build using blueprints, implying that he does, and he’s better than us.

He has the “loco” part right…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I still want to ride on the Grand Scale Railroad, but only Bob was invited, the rest of us are heathens and are in worthy. It to must be an exclusive affair since no one knows about it.

First off…WELCOME back Boomer!

I think I know who this Loco112 guy is. About ten years ago…maybe longer, I posted on a riding scale site about needing some prints for an old Arrowhead Water Car used by Pacific Electric (Southern California) to haul spring water down from the mountains at Arrowhead Lake to the flatlands below. Finding prints for these cars is almost impossible because these were built over 100 years ago and I believe only three prototype cars were built. Arrowhead Spring water is still sold today…in plastic bottles. I contacted an archivist with the Arrowhead Company (dealing with the history of the Arrowhead Company) a few years back and he told me NO PRINTS exist for these cars and he had researched for years!

Well, I got an email from this guy Loco112 volunteering to sell me some prints he had of this car. You don’t want to know how much he was asking! He was definitely a “legend in his own mind” then! He hasn’t changed at all since then. I did some inquiring around in the very large scale community including the Grand Scale crowd and discovered quickly to stay as far away from this guy as possible.

I know of most Grand Scale railroads in the U.S. and all of these builders don’t boast about their wealth or how big their “stuff” is, etc…THIS guy is a real “piece of work” to say it mildly. Good riddance, IMHO.

DELETED. Double post!

Yes, nice to see you back Boomer!!!

By the way, “that guy” was “Loco112”

Greg

Good to see you again Boomer.

Good luck and fun for those entering the Miks 2016 build.

Vic Smith said:

But they make it a job and an unplesant job that’s like being an IRS tax accountant when you want to be doing plein air painting on a beach.

It all just sounds, so extremely… un-fun… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

or

not me btw (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Vic…here’s a picture of one of my plein air set-ups in the mountains nearby…no beaches for me (I can’t swim).

It’s all relative…I’d rather be model railroading than painting outside!

There was a lifetime Union Pacific engineer in my gallery last month and he told me his dream was to retire from UP and spend his days painting. That was funny. I told him my dream was to retire from painting and go to work for Union Pacific! (He told me I wouldn’t last the morning because the jobs are so repetitive and physically demanding; probably true!)

John I wouldn’t even need the paints, I’d sit there and enjoy the view.

.meh, big deal. I’m having fun, and instead a pile of blueprints and a 1/10 finished 15 year old model of K-36 483 as on the morning of Dec 12, 1947, I have a display shelf full of zany expression of my own creativity. Does my work give these guys conniptions? I certainly hope so, because they need to relax and lighten up, this is a hobby that’s supposed to be about fun and enjoying yourself, and expressing yourself. But they make it a job and an unplesant job that’s like being an IRS tax accountant when you want to be doing plein air painting on a beach.

Yes, I had a similar conversation with a member of the NMRA, who was displeased with my lack of progress on my HO/HOn30 module. He subsequently quit the FreMo group. Hey, this is my hobby, and I am here to have fun. If a person’s idea of fun is counting rivets, so be it. Me, I just want my stuff to look right (to me) and I don’t care if its got the proper number of rivets. Indecently, I model narrow gauge, with mostly wooden rolling stock. I know I built them with the proper number of rivets, cause there aint any. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Bob McCown said:

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Probably true, but he insulted everyone that doesnt build using blueprints, implying that he does, and he’s better than us.

Wait ?

You can get blueprints for stuff you want to build?

Edit: Because if this is the “truth” it pisses me off!

Welcome back Boomer!

(http://www.northfloridashooting.com/images/minion.jpg)

Rooster, you can, or you can “roll your own”.

Welcome back Boomer, great to have you back. Nice site you have there and interesting history on the napkin drawing. Guess I need to start sketching up some ideas, wifes going to wonder where the heck all her napkins keep going.

David Maynard said:

Rooster, you can, or you can “roll your own”.

you’re

No, you’re is you are. Your is belonging to you.

David Maynard said:

No, you’re is you are. Your is belonging to you.

Yes but I don’t,do not and it all belongs to you when DEA shows up . Cause REA isn’t going to,too,two as they went bankrupt.

I was bumping around the forum and came across the original thread, the ones with more pages catch my eye and I think helps with some insight to everyone and their thoughts… uh oh … umm should I pay Bob for reading such an old thread?, and as I was reading with almost tears from laughing at the comments I was really wondering if he was the one that started the Napkin Builder , wow if he had only known he could have copyrighted the term and made even more money. Anyway this for being a really pull my hair out at work day has had me laughing out loud for a good part of the day. Thanks Bob, Locoblueprint guy, and everyone on that thread