Large Scale Central

Taylors Mik 2017 build

Spent some time late last night sticking stones down. It went amazing fast once I got them all played out.

This is the “Right” side, if you call the door side the front. Up next, will be the door side. I will cut out the window and door holes after I get the stones done… That way I can’t get them in the wrong place like in the past.

I think it is coming along just fine.

Very nice Dave. Love the raised corner blocks. I hadn’t noticed until now. Dd you mold both half block and full block corner blocks or are you just cutting your full corner blocks?

Placing those stones at different angles and the details above the windows is adding a lot of visual interest to your building.

I like those corner blocks.

NOW, you make the corner stones!!! unfair advantage!!! foul!! Send some to all of us!! JUST KIDDING! that building is looking really good David, great job mixing them all up and making some cool patterns,.

Baltic birch, hmm! That is expense stuff, at least in my neck of the woods. It’s hard to find too. Well, if you ignore the Internet that is. Good looking stone work. I like the corner stones.

Got the front side stuck down.

Two sides done. Two more to go, and the second floor and 16 windows, and a roof. Other then that I’ve got nothing to do.

1/2 of the Challenge time over and I’ve got only about 1/4 done. Just about like most every one else…

Cool! It looks great. The corner blocks are perfect.

Stones look awesome, are you going to jigsaw the window openings out?

Vic Smith said:

Stones look awesome

We are a very progressive community when one guy tells another guy his stones look awesome (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

You are getting there buddy, but it’ time to listen to your quarry boss when he tells you;

“Dave your design is Too Busy … We are happy that you have become such a good ‘gouger’, but geez not every stone we finished! Please try using some finished stones or I’ll have to let go half our staff!”

Consider;

‘Thanks for listening boss.’

I like it and I’m not really jealous you have all that mold making stuff in your junk box, no really I’m kidding. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

John

Looks great.

@John, This is a RR, Finished stones cost $0.21 more each. What do you think they built with?

@Vic, Yup. That way I can’t get them in the wrong place, Like has happened before.

@Devon, Now my wife, and two of my girlfriends both like the looks of my stones.

Dave you have a wife and TWO girlfriends? Holy cow!!

Dave Taylor said:

@Devon, Now my wife, and two of my girlfriends both like the looks of my stones.

Two OF implies he has more than two. His stone must be pretty impressive.

Got the third side stoned up…

Three out of four sides played up…

That’s really looking good Dave. I think the corner stones add a lot of character.

Got the last wall layed up. This is the back side, and the little windows are in the stairwell for upstairs access.

Next up, I’ll start on figuring out how I’ll get the windows around the top, and still support a roof of unknown design yet.

Spent the morning trying to figure out how I was going to get the second floor windows in place and how to put a roof over the whole thing.

Started by glueing up the four windows into a block for mounting.

There are 4 windows on each side of the switch tower, for a total of 16, Here I am again this year using a ton of windows. 23 total, less then half of last years total.

Cut the roof section and the end gables. Figured out a mounting for the windows to the upper roof section by adding a piece of wood, that will mount on top of the block of windows. Painted the raw wood with two heavy coats of Titebond III to waterproof it all.

When everything dried up. I then assembled all the parts together, glued and clamped it all up.

All is coming along fine, actually ahead of my own schedule, I may even have some time in the end to do some detailing. I’m thinking of a couple of racks of manual switch levers in the upper side.

Your tower is really shaping up Dave. It is one of those buildings that will outlast the RR and people 100 years from now will remember when their grandfathers talked about the glory days.

Wow looking really good there Dan