Large Scale Central

Spring switch

Devon Sinsley said:

GAP said:

Rick Marty said:

Anyone have pictures/diagrams/information on building a simple and reliable spring switch?

Does this help?

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/spring-switch-2382559

Might be for a smaller scale but the concept is transferrable to G.

Thanks for posting that. I like this for my eventual On30 layout

Devon does On30 = O scale trains on HO track?

Timing of this discussion is excellent. Last evening I pulled three of my 5 mainline switches (Aristo #6) for refurbishment. Two of them will have their Aristo throws replaced with the Bachman throw that I find is much more positive and eliminates splitting facing point switches. The third plus the two I did not pull are spring switches set for turning on a wye. Since the railroad was built I simply used the spring function on the Aristo throw and it worked fairly well. I’d rather have something a little beefier and would also like to incorporate a Bachman throw for when I need the switch to stay open.

I’ll be working on developing an idea based on the ride-on scale switch I posted previously…

I am going to breadboard some ideas with an R1 switch because the #6 is just too big for my bench!

GAP, you’re right, 0n30 is 0 scale trains running on h0 track, representing 30 inch gauge.

I believe they were HO mechanisms dressed in O scale bodies, that was the economy of 30.

Had a few minutes to fool around with ideas on the bench. I’m using an R1 as a breadbord for testing because it fits. Once the bugs are worked out it will be moved to a #6. Here is step 1…

That’s 4-40 rod with threads on both ends (model aircraft part). The next step is to fabricate a brass extension for the throw bar that will be drilled for the rod to pass through where the washers are above between the pen springs. Then, another model aircraft part - a push rod clevis, will be used to attach the rod to the inside of the Bachman switch machine.

Jon

What happens if the throw is left in the upright position ?

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Jon

What happens if the throw is left in the upright position ?

Very good question that I don’t know the answer to. I would assume the points would float half way, depending on how the spring tension is adjusted. I’m also assuming that if running facing point you might derail, or if running trailing point, it would probably spring open just fine. As soon as I have my prototype built, I can do some tests with a truck. I forgot to stop at the hobby store for the 4-40 clevis, so I’m ordering from Amazon. It will be a few days.

Well finally got back to this project.

I had thought about the spring switch set up and also the old choke cable method.

Then John C planted a seed in my thought trail about using a dead weight return. Simple clean and really no moving parts to get out of calibration or come undone.

Set up a trial for “proof of concept” and it works perfect. Hand pushed a few different cars through than ran a C-19 and a 10 wheeler through, smooth as glass and perfect return.

I used a stainless steel fishing leader and a couple of slip sinkers tied on the end with a piece of electrical wire and just hung it over the side to see if it would work.

You can just see the sinkers and the loop of wire holding them on to the leader.

For the finished project I will use a piece of 1/8 th inch brass tubing bent into a smooth 90 degree angle and insert it through the 2X4 block then run the line through that, the weights

will be up under the edge of the framing, out of sight and out of harms way.

Thanks for the idea John(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Good simple solution. On my railroad I need the ability to force the switch over the other way at times, but normally want it to spring. My version (see my build log for detail) springs either way, but as you note; the C-19 gets through yours (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Rick, that’s a great solution. Stolen. Thanks, John C

purty nifty.

Recycled from the 1950s and Railroad Model Craftsman, most likely. Maybe even NYSME …

John Caughey said:

Recycled from the 1950s and Railroad Model Craftsman, most likely. Maybe even NYSME …

Well John; I’m glad your memory is still working! That is a nifty idea. Outdoors, on the ground it would need a pit or something for the dead weight making it a little impractical, but on elevated track or bench work it’s the bomb!