Large Scale Central

Some thoughts on Mik 2018

I feel a common theme coming out of these responses is that the fine modelling we are seeing is not in keeping with what Mik was about but I would say that for most of us the 30 day time frame leaves a lot of time for adding details and going above and beyond. Personally the finest work I have done has been for the challenges whereas my regular builds are just kind of thrown up and considered “good enough” being built to withstand the elements without much detail.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea where we all start with a Campbells soup can. Tomato, Chicken Noodle?? that is up to you but when you are done eating the soup you will be tasked to use that tin can anyway you want to create something cool for your RR.

I like the challenge just as it is. $30, 30 days and rule #1, have fun building something cool and share it with your train buddies.

When I posted MIK just MIK’s 2012 challenge, I posted it to show the character we are embracing. MIK was about promoting the hobby in the months when most in his northeastern clime dream of spring and time to get back out on the empire. MIK had idle time to fill and he took his love of the hobby and shared it here and other forums. Because some voiced the desire for Cabin Fever, ( a live steam show and sale ) held in the York area, to hurry up and get here to break the boredom. His challenge was simple and non restrictive. Skill level was on the individual and not worried about in the challenge. I know a couple on here who did their first builds because of the challenge.

The actual challenge I always thought was to get people off their butts and do something they would normally put off till later. The limits were so more could do just that without cutting into needed funds.

I am impressed by the way the challenge has withstood the test of time and how the level of the builds has improved. As long as members follow rule #1 I fell the spirit of MIK is adhered to. To have the challenge be to build something as MIK would have would tax a few of the participants in material choices. I have thought of searching for one of MIK’s dozer kit bashes just to show some of those who didn’t know of MIK so they could see how he shared his love of trains.

So yes 30 days, $30, and rule #1(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I do get a lot of interest from friends and family while working on the Challenge project. The wife could care less about trains 11 months out of the year, but come January, she is asking what I am going to build and what do we have to start with. She has asked on several occasions to send pictures to her friends that she told about the Challenge. That, by itself is worth while to me, but it is not why I do it. I do it because I like to build, I like watching other’s builds come together, I like receiving and giving comments on all the builds, I like learning new techniques from all the great modelers found on this site, but most of all, I like the camaraderie.

I’m one of the first timers here, and possibly one of those dreaded “fine modelers” (which does not match my self image at all!).

When I think about the time during the Mik challenge vs the rest of the year, what stands out for me is the interesting “camaraderie” and just the general sense of a shared experience as being the thing that is the most different about it compared to the rest of the year. Which is good, to say the least.

I personally had a blast, and found the whole premise to be simple, easy to explain to others, and allowed a lot of variation of projects. I will definitely want to participate again.

I too am fine with the current system: 30 days, $30, simple premise, rule #1.

Cheers!

I never understood this line about our builds not being in the spirit of Mik or the Challenge. What does that mean? That we should deliberately produce something that’s less than the best we can do? We’re already limited to $30 in material and 30 days within which to produce the best work we can. How is that not in the spirit? What…I don’t build on top of a washing machine? I don’t know why anyone would want to do such a thing anyway! I don’t think Mik, whom I never knew, would disprove because somebody tried to make something really beautiful and well-crafted.

The Challenge has helped me and some others make projects we might not otherwise have gotten around to. And, aside from that, one of the biggest attractions for me is the fellowship. I know it’s over the internet, but it’s a form of fellowship I value nevertheless.

I would leave things as they are if it were up to me.

edit: learn to spell…geez.

I am fine keeping the competition the way it is. Frankly, the kind words and comments received during the build are what motivated me the most, the voting was secondary. The time of year is perfect, too cold and nasty to do much work outside. My friends and family got a real hoot out of it and my wife enjoyed all the entries. A simple “primary” material such as the 2X4 or a soup can is great, with no rules on what we can build. Wow! What variety and originality! I personally need a deadline and 30 days is fine. Finally, the $30 limit is genius. On many occasions I had to weigh whether to take the easy way out and order a part from Ozark Miniatures (for example) or figure out how to build it myself to stay within the limit.

I am fine with the current voting and judging rules but I am okay if you want to expand, alter or eliminate them. It’s secondary to me and I don’t want the competition to become a burden on those who graciously run it.

I belong to a very active club, but there isn’t an emphasis on modeling. I really enjoy the LSC community of modelers and appreciate your feedback and encouragement.

My earlier suggestion wasn’t to lessen, but rather to enlarge the voting because I still feel bad that Eric was excluded, that’s all.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

And John, your genius build needs a ladder now! Know how?

Is it done yet?

John Passaro said:

I never understood this line about our builds not being in the spirit of Mik or the Challenge. What does that mean? That we should deliberately produce something that’s less than the best we can do? We’re already limited to $30 in material and 30 days within which to produce the best work we can. How is that not in the spirit? What…I don’t build on top of a washing machine? I don’t know why anyone would want to do such a thing anyway! I don’t think Mik, whom I never knew, would disprove because somebody tried to make something really beautiful and well-crafted.

Edited because Korm was 100% right and my message did not reflect my heart instead it reflected a sore head. I agree with John’s statement.

OK guys… A couple of points.

I ask about changes, and such, for the feeling out of opinions from the guys that join the challenge. I’m out here making decisions based on what I think you all would like, and to try and expand the participation level, and keep it ( the challenge) broad based.

Building a wooden flat car, for an Amtrak guy is never going to work, and it sure as hell won’t take 30 days.

Likewise Building rolling stock on the cheep, and then having to pay $50 for a set of trucks, just isn’t going to cut it either.

I never thought that it was Miks intention to have others build to try and replicate his level of construction. His was what it was, built from his heart, and at his level that made it just fine for him.

I do not think that he cared if you were a rivet counter, or a napkin drawer, he built for the fun of it, and wanted to get others to that level of self enjoyment from " Just Build Something", Get off your ass and go build something.

I remember a conversation with him over some heat that he took from something he built from Scrounge & Scratch, and he felt that some PIKO Collector had the audacity to criticize him for scratch building, when the guy had never built anything of his own, that wasn’t a expensive all inclusive kit.

Mik just wanted to have fun, and share his joy of trains with others. The original challenges were his attempt to help others realize his joys. Not to have anyone to emulate his style or technique, but his joy.

SO, That is what I want to continue to strive for, Mik’s fun and joy of “Just go build Something”. With that in my mind, That is why I awarded Eric the “Spirit of Mik” award. I don’t think anyone could doubt the Joy and Fun they had building the tower. It didn’t matter that it might not have gotten done in the 30 days, The Fun and Joy was there!

Comments?

As an “old timer” I am still having fun with the challenge every year. I think the most important part of the challenge is “have fun” and I hope we all are doing that!

What I would like to figure out is how to attract more challengers or judges. I really enjoyed seeing our Hawaiian participant and his children. That was terrific! I don’t have a simple solutionto attracting more people. Do some feel that some of the participants are “too good” ? Personally I really enjoy seeing the skill of our list members Seeing that kind of skill Is impressive!

I spent $0 this year. I had to go low budget but it was just one of those things. Next year I may spend the max. Just depends on what I decide to build and how the budget is. I operate with the same budget Mik did. Just one of those things.

The main thing is Have Fun!

Thanks Dave. In the end, there should be only two rules: Rule #1, self explanatory, and Rule #2, see Rule #1.

I really like what is being said about this topic and I think we are all in keeping with the Spirit of Mik especially when it comes down to the shared comradery.

It doesn’t matter if we build a museum quality piece or something that is not so appealing to the rivet counters but is a perfect fit for our RR’s as long as we try and have fun doing so.

Long live the Spirit of Mik.

Devon,

i did not like your last post.

to my eyes there seems to be an “undercurrent”, dividing us into participants and non participants.

but i’m sure, that we don’t need any “them” and “us” divides between forum members.

(edit: specially having on mind, that the whole challenge thingy was started to overcome some such division… about ten years ago…)

Korm Kormsen said:

Devon,

i did not like your last post.

to my eyes there seems to be an “undercurrent”, dividing us into participants and non participants.

but i’m sure, that we don’t need any “them” and “us” divides between forum members.

(edit: specially having on mind, that the whole challenge thingy was started to overcome some such division… about ten years ago…)

First off, Korm thank you for bringing this to my attention, out in the open, in public, for all to see. I need to be held accountable for what I say.

I also agree there is that undertone after rereading it; it was not my intention. I know there are a great deal of people who do not participate in the building but very much participate in the challenge. There are people who like to see whats going on. I love to hear from anyone and everyone. Not just accolades but also positive criticisms. Last year was a great example of people helping my project look better by criticizing my snow, it made my snow better, and many were not builders. This challenge is and should be all inclusive.

I am cranky and I need not let that show here, I am better than that, and for that I apologize. Thank you for properly and rightly chastising me. I deserved it. maybe my crankiness has allowed this to get further under my skin than it should be. I am not making excuses, just offering an explanation, so that my sincere apology maybe accepted.

David Marconi,FOGCH said:

When I posted MIK just MIK’s 2012 challenge, I posted it to show the character we are embracing. MIK was about promoting the hobby in the months when most in his northeastern clime dream of spring and time to get back out on the empire. MIK had idle time to fill and he took his love of the hobby and shared it here and other forums. Because some voiced the desire for Cabin Fever, ( a live steam show and sale ) held in the York area, to hurry up and get here to break the boredom. His challenge was simple and non restrictive. Skill level was on the individual and not worried about in the challenge. I know a couple on here who did their first builds because of the challenge.

The actual challenge I always thought was to get people off their butts and do something they would normally put off till later. The limits were so more could do just that without cutting into needed funds.

I am impressed by the way the challenge has withstood the test of time and how the level of the builds has improved. As long as members follow rule #1 I fell the spirit of MIK is adhered to. To have the challenge be to build something as MIK would have would tax a few of the participants in material choices. I have thought of searching for one of MIK’s dozer kit bashes just to show some of those who didn’t know of MIK so they could see how he shared his love of trains.

So yes 30 days, $30, and rule #1(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I remember his central power station for oil pumps, he was a teacher too.

Dave Taylor said:

You don’t need no stinking Dr. for that. Easy breezy, Fire up the old compressor, set the PSI to 90, Stick the Blower nozzle in the pie hole, Hold your nose, and squeeze the trigger, Just like a balloon!

FROOOOOP! and your all better.

Didn’t work, blew my last marbles out my ears!

Devon, its easy to be cranky when one isn’t feeling well. And you, my friend, have dealt with with more health problems then most.

I would like to see more folks participate too, but some people are just too busy with other things, or they just aren’t builders. Every group have the doers, the watchers, the criticizers and the clueless.

I usually don’t judge. I can be, well, I can be a bit judgemental when I am judging. And if I am, then I am not following rule number 1. So I leave the judging to others.

Dave you are right in that each project will not appeal to everyone. But the door project and the 2x4 as material project I think are pretty inclusive. Now if the next project is detail a SD40, then that would be too specific and modern for me. I think you have been doing a good job of leaving the challenge open ended enough that most folks can build what they want, and what would fit into their railroad. So I am not sure what kind of adjustments you could/should make to the challenge.

John Caughey said:

Dave Taylor said:

You don’t need no stinking Dr. for that. Easy breezy, Fire up the old compressor, set the PSI to 90, Stick the Blower nozzle in the pie hole, Hold your nose, and squeeze the trigger, Just like a balloon!

Thanks for the laugh John. That was funny (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Dan Hilyer said:

John Caughey said:

Dave Taylor said:

Thanks for the laugh John. That was funny (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Dave Taylor said:

Building a wooden flat car, for an Amtrak guy is never going to work, and it sure as hell won’t take 30 days.

Likewise Building rolling stock on the cheep, and then having to pay $50 for a set of trucks, just isn’t going to cut it either.

Comments?

Who the Hell would model Amtrash …that is worthless crap anyway.

$50 for a set of trucks on a 2x4 is absurd! Spend the money on a good paint brush or ditch lights and HEP cabling instead “which can be done MASSIVELY cheap”!

My thoughts/comments as YOU did ask but I’m no expert and did read twice before posting.

How about next year you build what you want and then “HAND PAINT IT” with a brush?

Painting on the washer and dryer earn bonus points! No shipping ,no digging in the couch for change to pay for shipping no nothing and you do nothing but moderate.

We change the prizes or judging to ?

A…Finescale modeling

B…1st time challenge build

C…Someday I would like to build like the rest of you guys (because I have it in me and just don’t know it)

D…Holy Shit I did it

This post has been edited twice by ROOSTER: