Large Scale Central

So Easy?

Careful stating times, that post appears at 10:23 here. Mine is Mountain time for now, it will change when you folks chase the sun.

Yep, I guess you are complimenting me on being careful since I stated pst after the time in my post? Thanks! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Greg

p.s. apparently the “reasons” for not staying in DST escape me… I was told it shifted the daylight part of the day earlier so that it would be light to milk the cows (isn’t this done indoors where you need lights anyway?, then I was told it was so it was light for children to walk to school… no one where I live walks to school, there are massive traffic jams of SUV’s near our schools in the AM, and kids stay after in sports till it’s dark. It must be a conspiracy!! I cannot get political, so I blame the Martians.

Drat, totally overlooked the pssstt. Or that was why you edited… like old times.

As to our other derail, I heard it was to save electricity; since it was light out, we might as well get up.

Mars Attacks: Best movie EVER.

Thanks Greg, I needed the laugh!

Greg Elmassian said:

Yep, I guess you are complimenting me on being careful since I stated pst after the time in my post? Thanks! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Greg

p.s. apparently the “reasons” for not staying in DST escape me… I was told it shifted the daylight part of the day earlier so that it would be light to milk the cows (isn’t this done indoors where you need lights anyway?, then I was told it was so it was light for children to walk to school… no one where I live walks to school, there are massive traffic jams of SUV’s near our schools in the AM, and kids stay after in sports till it’s dark. It must be a conspiracy!! I cannot get political, so I blame the Martians.

“Daylight saving time: Only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket.”

p.s. apparently the “reasons” for not staying in DST escape me… I was told it shifted the daylight part of the day earlier so that it would be light to milk the cows (isn’t this done indoors where you need lights anyway?, then I was told it was so it was light for children to walk to school…

And here in Florida, the sunset, which was at 6:45 [a bit early, but OK.] shifts to 5:45!! It’s now before 5:30pm. Sheesh - ruining our tourist trade!!

John Bouck said:

Jon,

Can you embed vids from other sources (like Facebook) ?

According to our resident tinkerer Joe Zullo, you can indeed embed Facebook video. Facebool does not supply the embedding code, but Joe figured out that the code is not source specific other than the actual URL of the video, so he borrowed some embed code and swapped out the URL for that of a video posted on Facebook. You can get the Facebook video URL by right clicking on the video and selecting Show video url. Simply copy that url (CTRL-C) and stick it in the embed code Joe provided me.

This seems to work. replace the {param} with the facebook video id from the url.

So, here is a test using your video of the Porter you just posed to Facebook. If it is available to view publicly, this should work for everyone…

I’m interested to hear from non Facebook users, and/or users who are not logged in to Facebook, if this video plays for them.

Thanks to Joe Zullo for taking the time to figure this out.

Well, that didn’t work. Could be that it’s only available to FB friends, or that I screwed up Joe’s instructions. Also, I tried posting the code Joe PM’d me, and that shows up as an error window. Odd.

The code still works with PUBLIC FaceBook videos. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Jon,

I’ll go to FB and see if it is public. I might have selected Friends.

Well, I hit edit and can’t find a place to see if it is friends only.

When I posted it there was a menu for that and I think I chose Friends.

No worries. I can’t figure out how to post Joe’s embed code outside a PM. The form wants to interpret it as code.

Jon,

Here is a FB video URL…https://www.facebook.com/facebook/videos/10156737918221729/

Here is the code to EMBED FB video on LSC…

You copy and paste what is in red into the iframe tag replacing {param} and then copy/paste the whole iframe code into the embed video window on LSC

You can do all the pasting together in a word processor like Notepad and then copy/paste it into the EMBED window on LSC (that’s how I do it (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif))

No matter what I do to edit my post, that embed code example still gets interpreted as code causing that weird window.

Jon,

I just posted this FB video using Safari browser. It still works. I usually use Firefox. What are you using?

Jon,

Ah ha! The video does not show in the post when viewing it with the Safari browser! It does show when using Firefox. Geez.

I run Firefox, and if something gives my trouble I try Chrome. If I could uninstall Microsoft Edge, I would. Browsers can be a pain. I bought a new webcam to use for video chat with my grand kids. On my main PC it works fine with FB Messenger run within Firefox. On my media center PC connected to the big screen it won’t work with Firefox, but does with Chrome. Both running same build of Win 10, one is Home, one is Pro. Both running latest Forefox.

I made a shortcut to IE (it’s still there in Windows 10), If FF and Chrome won’t do it, normally IE will, like old sites with old software, like Banks, the government, etc.

Greg