Large Scale Central

Sneak Peak PIKO #38241 CNJ 2-6-0 Camelback Blue Comet

John Caughey said:

According to Wiki:

The colors chosen for the *Blue Comet’*s locomotive and passenger cars were ultramarine and Packard Blue, for the sea, cream, for the sandy coastal beaches, and nickel.

Rather blue…

however the loco was a Pacific or Hudson Conventional cab…

John, Camelback #592 often filled in for the blue Pacific on the Blue Comet. It did have a more subdued, darker, blue, though.

Dan Padova said:

While we are all bashing Piko’s train to bits, poor Ken on his video, is trying to promote the thing. It’s like a comedian trying to get a laugh out of a non receptive audience.

If the train doesn’t sell, and the price gets slashed, the passenger cars may be worth salvaging for a repaint. The loco’s future, on the other hand, may be questionable.

Dan, when those locos go one sale, either the blue comet or the black one, I may consider one. I know how to use a paint roller.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Ross Mansell said:

Anybody got the smelling salts?

I thought that stuff went out of fashion at the same time as the ladies stopped to swoon quite that often?

Naa…it still gives them a jolt!!

(Actually I like the look of a Camelback…its just the colour of this particular offering…but…as has been said…a can of paint…but…don’t think they used them on logging lines!!..)

I , too am not happy with the knocking that goes on when someone has taken the trouble to bring an item to our attention .

I thought that the idea of this site was to promote large scale railway modelling .

Now , some will jump up and say “that ain’t a model” . So what ? If it encourages purchase of the item , it will help the manufacturer by providing an offset for the models that “adults” wish to buy .

I often wonder if the stupid arguments about LGB actually destroyed the American market for it .

I do hope that this is not a precursor to destruction of the PIKO stuff in America .

I would suggest that if any of you wish to criticise the product , go out and buy one and then do a proper dispassionate review in the review section of this site , otherwise , people like Ken will probably give up trying to help the hobby by alerting us to what’s available .

Meanwhile , I shall dash out and buy Thomas .

Mike

Mike you are right, some product is better then no product.

I think LGB’s problems were deeper then just some folks nay saying their products. Many folks were passionate about LGB and purchased a lot of LGB’s products.

It is very nice of Ken to take the time to post here, and I do hope he continues. We aren’t bashing Ken, we are commenting on Piko’s offerings. They could do so much more for the North American modeler.

over on g scale central in the uk it now has the name , the blue vomit,

while i am glad piko are still in buisness and have made some lovely products like the croc and the br64

and some really nice rolling stock, their N AM range is awfull and its obvious they are not bothered

about it, just rehash any old moulds to cobble some poor effort

there market is europe and they do well there, i just thing there is an opening for some nice products for

the us market that could be made, and the us is a big market whatever the economy,

this creation is just a monstrous carbuncle on the face of g scale,

Good positive , reasoned , unbiased comment there Dave , especially the comment about not being bothered about the N AM range . Obviously , they just made the stuff to dump it .

Well put .

Mike (the real one , not a doppelganger )

my 7 year old daughter loves it if I could afford it, she would have one today

DAVE BLURTON said:

over on g scale central in the uk it now has the name , the blue vomit,

while i am glad piko are still in buisness and have made some lovely products like the croc and the br64

and some really nice rolling stock, their N AM range is awfull and its obvious they are not bothered

about it, just rehash any old moulds to cobble some poor effort

there market is europe and they do well there, i just thing there is an opening for some nice products for

the us market that could be made, and the us is a big market whatever the economy,

this creation is just a monstrous carbuncle on the face of g scale,

Thank you Dave! It’s a bit past 06:00 (Pacific Time) and I’ve just had my very good, big laugh for the day. Now it’s time for that first cup of tea.

Every morning I check the German Spur-G Blog and have a big sigh of relieve that the Big Model Railway Creator still hasn’t given PIKO any reason to enter the IIm model market.

BTW whoever coined the moniker for the Blue Camel sure isn’t daft, is he?!!?

Cale Nelson said:
my 7 year old daughter loves it if I could afford it, she would have one today

No doubt, it’s clearly aimed at the toy market. The strange part is the DCC sound decoder (for the toy market!?), which adds quite a bit to the price.

Ross Mansell said:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Ross Mansell said:

Anybody got the smelling salts?

I thought that stuff went out of fashion at the same time as the ladies stopped to swoon quite that often?

Naa…it still gives them a jolt!!

(Actually I like the look of a Camelback…its just the colour of this particular offering…but…as has been said…a can of paint…but…don’t think they used them on logging lines!!..)

Actually ,Yes, I do have some smelling salts. The prior owner of my house left a first aid kit under the sink and it seems to have the article in question. What do you want them for ?

We have recovered from the initial colour shock so thank you for the offer.
Now if its Glenmorangie you have…

I don’t subscribe to “any new product is good”… if it is the wrong product, then everyone loses.

Remember a company called Aristo?

It’s too simplistic of an answer.

Greg

Everyone is entitled to their opinion Greg .

In the interests of Blue Trains in general , have a look at the Paris Blue Train and the South African Blue Train .

Nice , aren’t they ? A meal on the Paris one would cost about the same as a Blue Camelback . Plus .

Mike

With reference to the idea that toy trainz iz rubbish , I would like to point out that members of the public turn up in larger numbers , significantly in some cases , in the UK at preserved railways when Thomas is advertised as being in attendance .

As these railways depend for their survival to a large extent on visitors’ entry fees , it has to be argued that any promotion within reason that encourages parents to use the excuse of seeing Thomas must be a good thing .

One chap working (for fun) on preservation said “Sticking a bit of painted cardboard on the smokebox works wonders for raising funds” , and one has to wonder if this can be read across to model railways .

Obviously , I do not advocate a cardboard cut out Thomas on the front of BlooChooChoo.

Given the number of Thomas sets sold here followed by “more grown up stuff” , I can only believe as previously stated , “Bloo trainz iz better than no trainz” .

Naturally , there are some diehard train shop owners who would not be seen dead with Thomas in their shop , then wonder why life is hard for them because the toy shops sell more trains than they do .

So I shall repeat my thanks to Ken for drawing the loco to our attention .

Mike

Greg Elmassian said:

I don’t subscribe to “any new product is good”… if it is the wrong product, then everyone loses.

Remember a company called Aristo?

It’s too simplistic of an answer.

Greg

Greg,

Simple and simplistic seems to be de rigueur in some quarters.

For a friends’ two boys I bought one of the “Thomas knock-off” sets (Imaginarium) and expanded it over time, The big hit? Diesels! They used to live close to the CN tracks, could see the trains go by and heard the Diesel horns. One day they went to the West Coast Railway Heritage Park, heard the Royal Hudson’s whistle and hated it - much too loud. But they liked watching “Thomas” on the DVD, however it wasn’t a “real” train. Funny how that works, eh! In other words there is hope!

Hans said-

“Simple and simplistic seems to be de rigueur in some quarters.”

On the other hand , I can name several companies that started off making toys and now make sought after accurate models .

Even Hans uses some of them .

The companies are Wiking , Herpa , Rietze , AWM in 1/87 , going up to 1/50 (app) with Corgi , Schuco , NZG and so on . All of these toymakers now make very collectable , beautifully marked models .

Seems like it was a good job they didn’t start off with a blue loco . Otherwise they’d have been shouted out before they got to the level they are at now .

Even First Gear’s first stuff was toyish .

Oh , and that well known company LGB also started off with simple little tank engines . Despite all the efforts by people here , they still exist and still make fairly good stuff . Their specials really are good .

KISS started off repainting LGB Box cars . Good job they were copies of real blue ones .

Odd to relate , there is only one American company among all those mentioned .

Mike .

The other day I read a very good quip on a local Blog referring to one specific personality - with a fair bit of notoriety to her name - as “AK is like rust, never sleeps” to which I could have added “Yeah, very corrosive in conjunction with oxygen”.

Just came to mind reading this thread. A lot of stuff with quite a bit of rust on it.

I’ll bet they all sell but if I can get one fer cheap…I’d buy it …paint is cheap.

Vic Smith said:
I’ll bet they all sell but if I can get one fer cheap…I’d buy it …paint is cheap.

Vic

Cheap and DCC sound-decoder, sure sounds like an oxymoron. ( would that be a moron that hyperventilated and got too much oxygen? )