Large Scale Central

Skeleton log cars

By the way, those log cars look fantastic!

If you need to Anneal the brass heat it until it turns black or even glows re a little then let it cool or chill it in water. Don’t bend it hot, it will break.

Thanks for the pic John. I wasn’t using routed channels for the brass like you are. That may have been my problem. I was trying to bend accurately to fit over the top of the bunk and couldn’t get it spaced correctly and square on the same piece. By dropping the strap in the channel it both improves the mechanical integrity and hide the bend a little making it not as critical. I should try that.

You are right.

I’d forgot that I do order bendable, formable brass from Master Carr for my projects. I forgot the code number…

Its called:

Ultra-Formable 260 Brass Sheets and Strips

The channel was needed for the straps to be lower than the bunk so they could drop the spike bar on. But it also holds the straps in place as you stated.

When I ordered some brass tubing from McMaster, they called it 260 ultra bendable and it came as K&S brass just as we get from our local hobby shop. Strips bend easily without annealing as do rods, though annealing does help make it easy and makes bending tubing more controllable.

Thanks John. The East Coasters I based mine on didn’t have the channels. Rummaging through my toolbox today I noticed a router but that is probably perfect for it. I have an ancient router table so I could probably add the slots easily. Gonna hafta look.