Large Scale Central

Site Changes #2 (9/27/2017)

tested it on my phone, the fonts scale nicely, small, but you can read the forums… better in landscape mode but usable in portrate… this is on a LG G6, high res screen.

Greg

Thanks, Greg. Tested here on both Mac and PC (Firefox, Chrome + Safari on the Mac) plus iPhone 6+ with the big screen and even an old iPhone 4 I use as an internet only device. Plus an iPad. Everything seems to scale correctly.

I just checked the new updates on my flip phone, however the screen is still too small!

I thought the new updates would fix that?

I do like the current color though.

There is a practical limit Roos… and I think you found it! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-money-mouth.gif)

I liked the darker yellow more. Easier on the eyes.

I was slightly challenged reading the black on white or is it gray on white? I am legally blind so my comment doesn’t carry much weight. I have to overcome it on the Mac by using a magnifier and enlarging the type on the iPad.

Useable and big font on LG K8G… I’m still young so I don’t need cheaters for reading. Plenty big. The background really makes the text pop.

Historically, it’s been black on white.

Searching for what is best for reading text will usually give you something like this:

If you want to use color use contrasting colors such as colors on opposite sides of the color wheel. Yellow on blue or blue on yellow are good choices. The best contrast overall is black on white or white on black. Avoid red and green because of red/green colorblindness which is the most common type of colorblindness.

The aspect of colorblindness should not be overlooked it affects about 8% of men, and typically gets more common with age.

Greg

The current style looks very good to me and has allowed me to reduce magnification. I was viewing at 133% on a large (25") monitor set to 1920 x 1080. I can now reduce that to 120% and still have text that is comfortably readable from 36" away from the monitor.

And since we are talking about buttons… Would it be possible to put a HOME button somewhere at the bottom of each page? I use the active topics on the home page to decide what to read and not having to scroll all the way back up to the top would be nice.

Looks good on my Samsung S7 Active. Thanks for the update - now I can keep up while boating!

" Rooster " said:

I just checked the new updates on my flip phone, however the screen is still too small!

I thought the new updates would fix that?

I do like the current color though.

I knew we must have something in common. (I have, however, updated to the latest generation of the LG flip; it was free so why not?)

edit: p.s. you should have seen my daughter’s friend try to call her parents for a ride home using the Bell telephone rotary phone on my desk! Hey, that’s why they say, “Dial the number.” Now, if Bob can get the site to show up on that phone, he’d be a genius.

Looks very good here with our 21 inch screen for us old guys. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Jon Radder said:

The current style looks very good to me and has allowed me to reduce magnification. I was viewing at 133% on a large (25") monitor set to 1920 x 1080. I can now reduce that to 120% and still have text that is comfortably readable from 36" away from the monitor.

And since we are talking about buttons… Would it be possible to put a HOME button somewhere at the bottom of each page? I use the active topics on the home page to decide what to read and not having to scroll all the way back up to the top would be nice.

Jon, I open the links by right clicking on them and then selecting “open in new window”. That way I always have the home page open in the “old” window, so I can right click on the next link I want to read.

Also, on your keyboard, usually over by the number pad, there is a “home” key. Pressing that will take you to the top of the page you are on, without scrolling.

Once again “Thank You” BD for what you give us !

Bob, small thing noticed that has stopped working: The list of the top posters has a drop down to let you see the top “thanked”… that drop down does not work for me anymore. Clicking the dropdown gives no reaction.

Greg

David Maynard said:

Jon Radder said:

Jon, I open the links by right clicking on them and then selecting “open in new window”. That way I always have the home page open in the “old” window, so I can right click on the next link I want to read.

Also, on your keyboard, usually over by the number pad, there is a “home” key. Pressing that will take you to the top of the page you are on, without scrolling.

Thanks David, I didn’t know about the home button

Greg Elmassian said:

Bob, small thing noticed that has stopped working: The list of the top posters has a drop down to let you see the top “thanked”… that drop down does not work for me anymore. Clicking the dropdown gives no reaction.

Greg

Where is that Greg?

" Rooster " said:

Greg Elmassian said:

Greg

Where is that Greg?

And why is this important?

John: Just trying to help debug an unintended side effect of the site changes. I did say “small thing”… but sometimes small things can be symptoms of other stuff… OK, barb dealt with politely…

Rooster: it’s on the bottom of the main forums page, bottom left. Shows the 10 top users. There a drop down menu that switches it to the top 10 thanked. That drop down does not work now, it’s stuck…

Greg

It’s working, now.