Large Scale Central

Seeking advice on Battery Power for Bachmann Spectrum 2-6-0

Stan - yes I am keeping the Internal Bachmann board in the locomotive and feeding the power from the battery through the Airwire decoder to the Bschmann board to the lights and smoke Gen. Thanks for the input. That sounds great! Does it matter that I am using battery power with 14.8V but at full charge reads 16.2V? I think the Bachmann DCC setup assumes track power will be used rather than battery power.

Mark

Mark said:

Stan - yes I am keeping the Internal Bachmann board in the locomotive and feeding the power from the battery through the Airwire decoder to the Bschmann board to the lights and smoke Gen. Thanks for the input. That sounds great!

Mark

Should work fine with 16 volts. Note that the wiring diagram for DCC shows that the lights can go directly to the DCC (airwire board) should you wish to control the lights. The resister is between the board and the light.

The board needs to be powered to control the firebox flicke.

In track power mode this is already connected. In battery operation the board would go directly to the battery and the two functions inputs on the board would control I think the firebox flickr and smoke. The front and rear lights can go directly to the decoder, the resister is in the wire to the lights.decoder

Stan

Got it Stan! I do see that on the DCC Schematic. And I do get the flicker effect when I tried connecting the battery direct to the Bachmann board for the ashpan/firebox lights and a steady glow on the headlight. Apparently I have been overthinking this all along. Thanks again!