Large Scale Central

Saying Hello

On the picture size, 800x600 has been recommended for a while, but most people have much bigger monitors in the last 10 years, and also faster internet service.

I have standardized on 800x600 on my site to make it load faster, and work on smaller screens, were I to start over today, I would go 1024x768.

I don’t see people complaining a lot about larger pictures, and when they do, they are definitely in the minority, so it really depends on your use of the picture… everything I shoot starts in 6000x4000, which usually allows me to crop the picture to just the points of interest.

Greg

Yes. I prefer the 800x600 size so I don’t use up all of my freight shed space with a few photos.

Hi Tommy! I haven’t been on here for a while so it’s a great surprise to hear from you! Glad you’re getting back at it and look forward to seeing your progress. I have all the parts too and maybe one day will get mine built.

Say hi to Grace for us!

Steve

Tommy Mejia said:

Hi Vic,

Doing okay. Grace of the Rio Gracie is in her senior year of college. My how time flies.

Tommy

Rio Gracie

Senior? Wow that’s awesome, though I feel old now. After the MLS debacle I also cut back my online activity mostly because most of my pictures were stored on an older XP computer. I’m just focusing on new stuff now.

Vic, I bought a USB thing to plug my old drive into, and then plug that into my computer, so I could port over all my files from my old computer to my new computer. Easy peasy.

David Maynard said:

Vic, I bought a USB thing to plug my old drive into, and then plug that into my computer, so I could port over all my files from my old computer to my new computer. Easy peasy.

yes, easy peasy. - but that implies to buy a new computer, whilst the old one still functions…

Korm Kormsen said:

David Maynard said:

yes, easy peasy. - but that implies to buy a new computer, whilst the old one still functions…

I don’t think that’s what he is saying. Only the old Hard Drive needs to work. You take it out of the old computer and plug it into the device and plug the device into a USB port on the new computer and the old HD is recognized as a USB storage device. I have a few of these devices. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I already transferred everything to a thumb drive, I was referring to the days after MLS did the Big Stupid. I just curtailed my online activity mostly because I needed to just do things for myself and not worry about documenting and posting every step like I did on MLS. Also I’m doing most of my postings via phone, not a computer so picture hosting and uploading is a real pita. Now at most I post a finished pic and maybe one or two progress shots. It’s just easier for me.

Vic, ah, I understand. I also stopped documenting stuff step by step for quite a while, for other, but similar reasons.

Joe, yes that is what I am saying. I have even used that device to erase a discarded hard drive from work and back up my files on it. That reminds me, I should do another back up.

In the same boat wrt to posting by phone.

Vic Smith said:

I already transferred everything to a thumb drive, I was referring to the days after MLS did the Big Stupid. I just curtailed my online activity mostly because I needed to just do things for myself and not worry about documenting and posting every step like I did on MLS. Also I’m doing most of my postings via phone, not a computer so picture hosting and uploading is a real pita. Now at most I post a finished pic and maybe one or two progress shots. It’s just easier for me.

talking about back-ups…

did anybody make a back up lately?

i saved the text and the picture URLs from all my building protocols (15 in nine years) to .txt files, to integrate them to my website.

even if most of us are tiptoeing around during the last days, we haven’t heard nothing from Bob. **

(and i would hate to loose again some of my building protocols.)

((and my website could use an update. the 2018 christmas greetings are still up…))

i hope, my effort was not necessary. but better safe than sorry.

edit: **) i did strike that out, because i found that, as often, i was not up to date.