Large Scale Central

Rolling Bearing Truck comparison

Paul,

Thanks for the offer. I have to look and see if I have any laying around first. Those trucks should be a simple mold to make more.

Craig,

If you do go the mold or 3D route then some changes would be a good idea so standard wheel sets would fit instead of only the “Aristo 29111D” wheels. Their standard 29111B won’t fit without modifications. That is the simple explanation. I really don’t want to open that can of worms. My offer stands or if you just want to come down and take a look at cars with Aristo, both types of USA and AML, you are welcome.

FYI, Kadee now has a 1:29 Scale #974 A.S.F 100-ton roller bearing truck version in addition to their #973 Barber 70 ton S-2 roller bearing truck.

Kadee 100 ton truck shown below.

Kadee 100 ton roller bearing truck

For comparison, the Kadee 70 ton truck is shown below.

Kadee 70 ton roller bearing truck

I don’t have their 100 ton truck yet since I still have several Aristo ones.
-Ted

Ted,

I just looked at the Kadee website description of these trucks. They sound true to prototype. Longer wheel base and 36" wheels on the 100 ton truck and 33" wheels on the 70 ton. I might get a couple sets to test.

Paul, I know your layout has code 250 track work, but for those that use Aristo #6 turnouts, be aware that the Kadee wheels are fairly thick across its backside and can ride up going over the Aristo turnout switch point area since the turnout rail spacing is too tight. I mitigated the problem by carefully grinding some material off from the stock rails along where the point rails mate.

-Ted

Paul Burch said:

Craig,

If you do go the mold or 3D route then some changes would be a good idea so standard wheel sets would fit instead of only the “Aristo 29111D” wheels. Their standard 29111B won’t fit without modifications. That is the simple explanation. I really don’t want to open that can of worms. My offer stands or if you just want to come down and take a look at cars with Aristo, both types of USA and AML, you are welcome.

GLX has the end caps available for the Aristo Roller Bearing truck. They are almost indistinguishable from the original Aristo end cap.

I have the USAT metal trucks and the LGB trucks, but I’m not sure if I have the Aristo or AML. I have an old Aristo drop end gin, but it has no trucks on it. So I think I either took the trucks off, or it had friction bearings. I haven’t checked the AML car yet to see what it has under it (double door box). When I figure this out, I’ll let you know Paul.

Very few Aristo cars came with the roller bearings, and the drop end gon did not in this case.

Aristo-Craft’s 100 Ton Hopper car and Evans box car were made with factory plastic emulated roller bearing trucks. Aristo, also, sold the roller bearing truck assemblies separately in a bubble pack.

Aristo 100 ton hopper car example:

Aristo 100 ton hopper car

Aristo-Craft EVANS box car example:

Aristo Evans Box Car

Later production Aristo trucks (Both Roller bearing and Friction Bearing types) were made of nylon - owing to the disastrous results of Aristo-Electralube “plastic compatible” lube attacking the softer plastic material previously used.

Aristo-Electralube Bottle

Example destroyed friction bearing Bettendorf truck shown below:

Failed Truck Due To Electralube

-Ted

Are the KaDee trucks actually roller bearings in the axles or just styled after the roller bearing type of trucks? This could change how I replace plastic wheels/ trucks if they are roller bearing trucks, clicking the links in Teds post it does not say the are , but thought I would ask.

As far as I know just styled after the roller bearing.

Pete Lassen said:

Are the KaDee trucks actually roller bearings in the axles or just styled after the roller bearing type of trucks? This could change how I replace plastic wheels/ trucks if they are roller bearing trucks, clicking the links in Teds post it does not say the are , but thought I would ask.

Hi Pete,

Near the top heading of the previous posted illustration showing most roller bearing type trucks with the Kadee 973 at the bottom, it states “None of these trucks actually use roller bearings for their axles …”. That said, the Kadee 973 does not use ball bearings, either. I don’t know what the Kadee 974, 100 ton truck has, but would be surprised if different.

To provide further information:
I fitted the 70 ton Kadee 973 Barber roller bearing trucks on a USA Trains 50 foot car in place of the USA Trains friction bearing trucks. To keep car height from the railhead to a minimum, the Kadee 973 Adapter Kit’s base plate is not used.

In the illustration below, you can see the plastic bearing inserts that Kadee uses in the side frame.

Kadee 973

This info., and then some, is in “vignette”, title:
Kadee Coupler Body Mounting Considerations”, Car Height & Attitude, Floors, Trucks, Wheels & Prototypes

-Ted

From that illustration, it would appear that the “bearing ends” do actually rotate as the truck moves.

Greg

Yes, the Kadee 973 truck’s roller bearing caps rotate; that’s also stated in the previous posted illustration showing the Kadee 973 at the bottom.

-Ted

Actually my friend, it appears so from the picture, but it is not stated… I did read it several times… (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Just wanted to answer Pete’s question explicitly, since it seemed to me that Craig said no. But again this thread becomes confusing, is the question “are there really ball bearings in the truck” or is the question “do the caps rotate like a roller bearing”… we already went through the fact that NONE of the models have real ROLLER bearings, nor can we find miniature roller bearings.

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Greg

The previous illustration I am referring to is in the prior page. Shown here again. See Kadee 973 last picture.

Selected 1/29 Scale Roller Bearing Trucks

-Ted

Yes, those pictures yes… but not the post you referenced or at least I thought you referenced… oh well, just had to pull your chain.

So to make matters easier, of all the “roller bearing type” trucks available, is there any one model that does not have the “tips” rotate?

Greg

Greg,

Two don’t rotate; LGB and the plastic USAT.

From this discussion (very entertaining) this is what I’ve concluded.

LGB. Not realistic unless you are trying to model a caboose truck with springs. Realistic? More like plausible.

AML. Correct for 70 ton trucks, not specific manufacturer. Unknown if miniature roller bearings can be installed. Rotating bearing caps. Unknown availability.

Aristo. Incorrectly labeled as 100 ton trucks, but represent prototype 70 ton roller bearing trucks. Rotating bearing caps. Modelers can install miniature roller bearings to reduce axle friction. Plastic. Hard to find for the average modeler.

Kadee. Correct 70 and 100 ton trucks. Rotating bearing caps. Not sure if modelers can install miniature roller bearings to reduce axle friction. Easy to find/purchase.

USAT plastic. Incorrect. Don’t waste time except if using for intermodal equipment. Do not have rotating bearing caps.

USAT metal. Best represents 100 ton trucks. Metal. Hard to find. Unsure if miniature roller bearings can be installed. Rotating bearing caps.

Burl Rice’s Trucks? Anyone have them? My guess is they are pretty accurate based on his modeling. Not sure how easy to purchase.

Ahh… I forgot the plastic USAT ones… was only remembering the LGB… well I think we have this one “sussed” (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Greg,

Yes very informative. Glad I asked. Now should we do the same thing with friction bearing trucks? Or 1/32 trucks to see how they scale up?