Large Scale Central

Rockfishing

A good place to find rock is around the clock .

Maybe if you’re half my age , you won’t have a clue what that’s about .

We combine rock chasing with train spotting on the preserved Welsh slate lines , the slate lumps are smashed into appropriate sizes for the quarry stuff we do .

The problem is , the slate breeds so prolifically that it’s an easy catch , and the back end of the car goes down quite a bit with the weight .

Mike Brit

It has long been rumored that rocks can be hunted on land as well as fished from water, but as yet I had never seen evidence of such, until today! We made a stop at one of my favorite rockfishing locations yesterday. While tying up our fishing vessel I discovered the nesting place of a large colony of land based rocks. Pictures aren’t the best; I only had my point-and-shoot and forgot to check the settings before shooting, but I think you can see a little bit (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

I didn’t bag any, but made a note of the nesting location for future reference. I checked with a local expert and was told these are the very rare breed of New England Wall Rock in it’s natural habitat. Protective gear will be required as there is an abundance of Poison Ivy in this location.

Daktah John said:

Protective gear will be required as there is an abundance of Poison Ivy in this location.

An abundance of snakes, too, no doubt…(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Maybe, but I’ve never run into any. We have very few poisonous snakes around, but there are some rattlers and copperheads (I think) - so caution while digging in the woods is definitely a good idea.

Looks like someone stacked them.

Stacked by the farmers who cleared the land prior to the lake being man-made in the 1920’s by damming a river and flooding thousands of acres of farm land. Some of this land is above water on islands (original hill tops) and uninhabited shore areas that are accessible to the public.

From CandlewoodLake.org:

“When Candlewood Lake was created in the 1920s inhabitants were relocated elsewhere, but many of the buildings in the valley were left standing and a considerable amount of personal property, including a great deal of farm equipment, was left behind. The roads that connected modern day Brookfield and New Milford with New Fairfield were not torn up before the valley was flooded and Scuba Divers, with the aid of either of the two local dive shops in Brookfield, can investigate remnants of the pre-lake era, even following the roads underwater. Divers have noted highlights that include Model T Fords, plane wreckage from craft that have hit the lake since its creation, and covered bridges from the pre-lake era.”

A small village by the name of Jerusalem was also buried under the waters; it included a grist mill, a school and a few homes. Many homes were burned down to the foundations before the water came, although the foundations themselves were left.

See also http://connecticuthistory.org/creating-candlewood-lake/ AND https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candlewood_Lake

Cant beat rock walls. They are all over my area. I actually have a rock wall along the one side of my propertyline at the new house. a lot of our property lines in the area are rock walls. Makes it easy finding the property lines.

Snag some of the ferns and sassafras then make some tea …looks like a good area for leeks.

If your gonna "cut up rock " again… use water with dish detergent don’t cut them dry…oh and get video this time

David Russell said:

Snag some of the ferns and sassafras then make some tea …looks like a good area for leeks.

If your gonna "cut up rock " again… use water with dish detergent don’t cut them dry…oh and get video this time

I have plenty of those ferns growing wild in my yard. They spread like crazy and are tough to eliminate. I wouldn’t know sassafras if it bit me in the butt. Not sure about leeks, but plenty of people use this area for leaks judging by the TP they leave behind. No plans to cut rock any time soon.

Daktah John said:

…Protective gear will be required as there is an abundance of Poison Ivy in this location.

Leaves of three, leave them be.

-Kevin.