Large Scale Central

Ridge Run Forge Blacksmith Shop

David Maynard said:

Devon Sinsley said:

Does anyone have a good technique for simulating scale knots in wood? And also any cool tips on making the black streaks that often bleed down from nails over time? On this one I figured just a very diluted black acrylic paint or maybe some burnt umber oil paint. But I don’t want to reinvent the wheel.

One guy drilled holes in the boards, then he inserted a tooth pick, and cut it off flush with the surface of the board.

To carry this a step further, using tree twigs give an assorted size to the “inserted” knots for a more random look.

Don’t forget that the board will have to be scribed in an elongated circular pattern around the “knot” for it to look natural.

Did that make sense?

Yeah I am tracking with you Marty. I just did a quick test with the tooth picks and like the results.

I first tired just an ebony stain but it did not penetrate the knot enough and when I sanded it back out it came off the “knot” leaving it white. Then I used a sharpie and colored the knot and then stained the wood and sanded. It left the knot dark. I think a brown sharpie might be better than black. I can already see where scribing around the knot will give an even better effect. Also laying some in at an angle to give the spike k not look as opposed to a straight cross cut knot will also add to it. Definitely a good starting point.

Devon,

By using twigs of the same or close species as the base board you don’t have the problem of stark contrast. IE; If your using Cedar boards find Cedar twigs to make the knots with.

Rick Marty said:

Devon,

By using twigs of the same or close species as the base board you don’t have the problem of stark contrast. IE; If your using Cedar boards find Cedar twigs to make the knots with.

That might be easier said than done right now.

Logs I use a small drill bit and make a indentation and paint the dimple a lighter color than the log, on lumber I just use paint the piece of new railing like in the hotel porch picture

switch tower postnew piece of railing

Remember knots are not uniform. By indenting the wood with different devices/profiles (such as a small phillips head ,torx bit ,dental pic, etc all with various sizes and profiles then work them around or not). Then go back with the “sharpies” and add your color (don’t be afraid to add and mix various color). After the coloring is added take some 220 grit sandpaper or what ever you prefer for the roughness you are after and drag it downward on the piece (this applies to wood so if it’s plastic suggest 600 or higher). Just like mother nature from the top to the bottom. Same applies with the nail streaks …I love sharpies and they are quite simple to work with or correct mistakes but there are no mistakes with weathering.

However this is only my opinion and experience as I’m far from an expert on the issue.

I am beginning to think the drilling and filling method may be more work than it’s worth. I will show the results when I am done. But i am thinking just painting or using the sharpie on the wood alone as Bill and Roos are suggesting will give an equal result.

Double post

So I got some more work done on this little flat.

Cool. Love the photo interior, Devon.

Nice job, Devon… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

That came out Great !

I will take it instead of a check for the things being mailed to you!! LOL awesome job Devon!!

Well first off sorry for the deleted pics. I don’t know what I did here is were it is and I added back a couple others. So here is the prototype.

And here is my rendition so far.

And the first of the lights. A lantern that I drilled and put a very itty bitty LED in.

And the details

I still have some tools to make, add the doors, and a couple interior lights.

Nice job on the details, Devon. I really like the bench and table.

Dan Hilyer said:

Nice job on the details, Devon. I really like the bench and table.

I am going to make a passed out drunk figure of my brother-in-law and put him on the bench. Which is so NOT the real him. I love how the lantern on the table came out. These are some crazy small LEDs from Lighthouse LED. They are smaller than the head of a sewing pin by at least half. Come pre-wired with a resistor so they will run anywhere from 6v to over 15v. When I get back to the GP9 build I am going to use them for working step lights.

You need the scull and cross bones on the jug!

Damn. I glued it down bit that would have been a good idea. And label it Greg’s paint stripper.

Nice details Devon. The lantern is indeed veeeeery nice

I like dyeing your wood