Large Scale Central

Revolution

David Maynard said:

Well, if you only have one transmitter, then why not keep the settings there? Its when you have more then one that things get…funny.

That’s exactly the issue. I have several locomotives and a handful of transmitters.

Nov. 27th … The Revolution DCC products are back up again.”

And both items already “Out of stock”.

Small run, or no run !? :slight_smile:

Or maybe like a lot of manufacturers, just testing interest by contact from prospective consumers ?

doug c

The “philosophy” of the revolution system has always been NOT a system, no real cooperation or sharing of information between throttles. (by the way the loco names must be stored in the throttle).

That’s the advantage of a real DCC system, where information is shared, and the central station “knows” everything that is going on and can share this information with all users.

The revolution is a nice compromise between a intelligent system like my Zimo DCC system, and a rudimentary R/C system. It has carved out a niche not really occupied by any other system.

Greg

Bob McCown said:

David Maynard said:

Well, if you only have one transmitter, then why not keep the settings there? Its when you have more then one that things get…funny.

That’s exactly the issue. I have several locomotives and a handful of transmitters.

I wonder if the designers expected a person to only have one transmitter. Then it would make sense. This is the issue I have with some designers, they expect the end user to do things a certain way, when in fact the ends users do things differently and the designers didn’t account for that.

David Maynard said:

Bob McCown said:

David Maynard said:

I wonder if the designers expected a person to only have one transmitter. Then it would make sense. This is the issue I have with some designers, they expect the end user to do things a certain way, when in fact the ends users do things differently and the designers didn’t account for that.

I’m hoping that the designers aren’t THAT stupid. If your receiver fails, then you can’t run that locomotive. But if a transmitter fails, you can’t run ANY locomotive. I think that’s why a bunch of folks get multiple transmitters - plus it allows you to more easily run more than one locomotive at a time.

Ted said: I noticed what is suppose to be the flashing tail light in the USA Trains caboose would not illuminate (or flash on / off) using the Aristo / Revo PWC (PWM) track power base station receiver unless the TX “throttle” is increased to maximum, after which the tail light will flash and remain flashing, even when reducing the throttle to a minimal setting!

So for normal use of PWC, I am contemplating installing the accessory “PWC to Linear Board” between the caboose wheel power pickups and internal circuitry.

The caboose light bulbs may draw more than 1/2 an amp which would exceed the limit of the Precision RC board you referred to.

There is probably a circuit board in the caboose with the dreaded LM317 voltage regulator to drop the voltage to 5 or 6 volts. If there is, take a picture of both sides and e-mail it to Greg. He may be able to suggest an easy and less expensive work around.

Bruce Chandler said:

David Maynard said:

Bob McCown said:

David Maynard said:

I’m hoping that the designers aren’t THAT stupid. If your receiver fails, then you can’t run that locomotive. But if a transmitter fails, you can’t run ANY locomotive. I think that’s why a bunch of folks get multiple transmitters - plus it allows you to more easily run more than one locomotive at a time.

If they’re going to keep the configs on the TX, I would settle for some kind of software that I have on my computer that lets me clone the throttle, and/or upload and download settings to the TX. Last night I looked at all three of my transmitters and none of them are set completely the same.

Unfortunately, it seems that the people who design things may not have the full experience of the people who will buy and use the product.

Example: I have a Zimo DCC system, easily the most expensive, and most flexible and most capable system. It is still getting additional features added, it was so late in development that it was released with only rudimentary DCC capabilities. The company is in Austria, and most Europeans only run a single loco in a train, so consisting was lower on the priority list than interfacing to other European DCC systems. If this was developed in the US, consisting would have been the first feature added after basic DCC addressing and control.

Also, in this hobby, there are many proponents of “one loco one transmitter”… the loco and the wireless throttle are a “set”… That might make sense for maybe 3 locos, but no sense as the number of locos increases. To me, locos are like potato chips, can’t have just one or two. No way I am buying 60 or more transmitters.

I like to get the most for my $$.

Greg

Bruce Chandler said:

David Maynard said:

Bob McCown said:

David Maynard said:

Greg Elmassian said:

Unfortunately, it seems that the people who design things may not have the full experience of the people who will buy and use the product.

Greg said what I was thinking. They aren’t “stupid”. Designers, well, at least the ones I have worked with, sit in a cubical and draw up some really neat things. But, since they don’t use the product they design, and they certainly don’t repair the product they design, they go with what look great on paper, but doesn’t work quite so well in the real world. A good designer would beta test a batch, and then take the feedback from the beta testers to improve the product. The beta testers would suggest features, and point out shortcomings, that the designer may never have thought of inside his cubical.

This is my viewpoint based on the my experience with designers I have worked with. (sigh, gasp) Not all designers work only in the rarefied atmosphere of their cubicles. But when you ask “what were they thinking when they designed it that way?” Then you have to wonder if that designer ever used the product in a real world situation.

Staying on :Topic …The elephants await the peanut factory invasion!

I like you Rooster, you make me feel normal.

I wouldn’t know, what does “normal” feel like?

David Maynard said:

I wouldn’t know, what does “normal” feel like?

In the UK it means the government is stuffing you (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Funny, same here!

" Rooster " said:

Well, now I know exactly where I stand…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Bruce Chandler said:

" Rooster " said:

Well, now I know exactly where I stand…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Great … would you like the eastern side or rather flank from the north end?

I think the Revolution people have addressed one of our complaints.

Transmitter VER.3.03 has added support for “Clone TX” function.

It would make it easy to have multiple transmitters with the same locos programmed in them.

Makes me happy!

Tom

Tom Stephens said:

It would make it easy to have multiple transmitters with the same locos programmed in them.

Makes me happy!

Tom

Nice. How does one upgrade?

Zimo went a step further and you can store your settings on a USB stick.

Now you can have different setups stored. one for home use, another for club/friends use. Reload what you need to use.

Bruce Chandler said:

Tom Stephens said:

Makes me happy!

Tom

Nice. How does one upgrade?

Bruce

Here is a link to the procedure.

TX Clone

I would guess that both transmitters would have to be upgraded to V3.03 first.

Tom