Large Scale Central

Revolution reveal at ECLSTS?

Yes Bruce, apparently you missed Dave’s post, quoted below. Greg

David Bodnar said:

Jose - I talked to Navin and, in addition to the ability to download sounds from the web with the USB interface, they will be marketing a DC power supply designed for the base receiver - he promises to send these items to me for review when they are ready - this could be within a few weeks.

dave

Greg Elmassian said:

Yes Bruce, apparently you missed Dave’s post, quoted below. Greg

David Bodnar said:

Jose - I talked to Navin and, in addition to the ability to download sounds from the web with the USB interface, they will be marketing a DC power supply designed for the base receiver - he promises to send these items to me for review when they are ready - this could be within a few weeks.

dave

Ah. So I missed a promise about a promise…

Thanks for the good laugh Bruce, I needed that!

Greg

David Bodnar said:

Bob, I agree that we should believe it when the sounds and USB unit are in hand - I’ll let you know when something shows up at my door.

Greg - I don’t believe it is set up to do your own files but do not know that for sure - again, I’ll let you know when I get some hard info

Stay tuned!

dave

Dave, if the files are downloadable, IF they are, then I am sure that someone will work out a way to hack them to put custom files on the system. It may be a 9 year old from Bangladesh, or a 20 year old from Kazakhstan, but somebody will figure it out.

David Maynard said:

David Bodnar said:

Bob, I agree that we should believe it when the sounds and USB unit are in hand - I’ll let you know when something shows up at my door.

Greg - I don’t believe it is set up to do your own files but do not know that for sure - again, I’ll let you know when I get some hard info

Stay tuned!

dave

Dave, if the files are downloadable, IF they are, then I am sure that someone will work out a way to hack them to put custom files on the system. It may be a 9 year old from Bangladesh, or a 20 year old from Kazakhstan, but somebody will figure it out.

Rest assured that it won’t be a 65 year old from Virginia…

The Crest Renovation HO control system offers some exciting RC Battery operations for Large Scale use. The smallest model I have in 1”20.3 is an Accucraft RGS #1 (converted Ford Model T) that used to work on track power. I installed a 12 volt battery pack into the bonnet along with the recharging posts, a 1 Amp fuse and on/off switch.
To conserve battery power I removed the original motor replaced it with a micro motor obtained from Larry Milo at PSME. The Speeder works very smoothly and I’ve found the Crest HO receiver reliable. The LED headlights turn on when in forward motion, and the animation of the motorman is also controlled from the transmitter. Crest does not have Speeder sounds available yet, but they can be added later.
I’ve also begun the conversion of a 1:20.3 RGS Goose using a Crest HO receiver. It will allow the Goose full RC control (lights, waiving engineer and sound) with nothing on the back flatbed area.

Photos and additional info is posted on the Finescalerr web page in the “General” topic area @ http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/

Jim Kottkamp said:

The Crest Renovation HO control system offers some exciting RC Battery operations for Large Scale use. The smallest model I have in 1”20.3 is an Accucraft RGS #1 (converted Ford Model T) that used to work on track power. I installed a 12 volt battery pack into the bonnet along with the recharging posts, a 1 Amp fuse and on/off switch.
To conserve battery power I removed the original motor replaced it with a micro motor obtained from Larry Milo at PSME. The Speeder works very smoothly and I’ve found the Crest HO receiver reliable. The LED headlights turn on when in forward motion, and the animation of the motorman is also controlled from the transmitter. Crest does not have Speeder sounds available yet, but they can be added later.
I’ve also begun the conversion of a 1:20.3 RGS Goose using a Crest HO receiver. It will allow the Goose full RC control (lights, waiving engineer and sound) with nothing on the back flatbed area.

Photos and additional info is posted on the Finescalerr web page in the “General” topic area @ http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/

Jim - the only point that some folks may be missing about the HO unit is that it uses a different wireless protocol and is not compatible with the original Revolution - If you have no concern about using two transmitters it does work well.

dave

I saw this thread and read it with great interest because I have been considering taking the plunge to battery RC my diesels but I’m still undecided.

I really want to like the Revo and be convinced that it is the system to invest in but it sure has its pros and cons, some guys love it some don’t.

I have spoken with Don Sweet and his RCS system sounds like a better choice over the Revo but the price…

So here we are at the end of the back and forth in this thread and we are still not certain if the Revo will be taking a big step forward with better sound files. This kind of uncertainty has kept me from pulling the trigger on buying in.

Well I feel you guys have answered my questions. I will feel good about recommending Crest to NMGRRs new members (we have actually had some recently). Cost and reliability are top concerns. Extra features and future innovations not so much.

One other factor that comes up in my club is who can help with a problem. As stated we have multiple people using Airwire or Digitrax but I have now found a member who has Crest so I can differ to his expertise when needed.

For the record I do consider Bruce and the rest of you wise ones or I would not have asked for your opinion.

Thanks Dudes!!!

After installng the revo and the airwire G3 for customers, the G3 is my pick of the 2 as you do not need add-on boards or fancy wiring to add Phoenix sound or smoke control. Plus no extra resistors for high current lights.

My personal choice was to go to DCC for my own RR.

What did Navin have to say at the ECLSTS? Did anyone talk to him?

Steve Featherkile said:

What did Navin have to say at the ECLSTS? Did anyone talk to him?

I did …I said hello and he said hi .

Steve;

from pg.1 of this thread;

"… talked to Navin and, in addition to the ability to download sounds from the web with the USB interface, they will be marketing a DC power supply designed for the base receiver - he promises to send these items to me for review when they are ready - this could be within a few weeks.

dave "

!

I don’t have any sound systems at the moment, but I may be able to help with modern sound files. I have a lot of video that I should be able to create sound files with. I would need to know what file types are usable, and how they are set up.

Shane

Shane, typical sound files from a video are worthless. The better sound systems have multiple sound channels, and need a single sound in each. Often 12 or more microphones are used when “recording” a locomotive, and then it needs to be run up and down on light load, heavy load, light throttle and heavy throttle.

If you ever get a chance to talk to someone about recording sounds, like the only company I know that is doing it actively, talk to Josh at QSI solutions, it’s a lot of work, but you cannot have motor sound in the background of a whistle, dynamo, air pump, etc.

Not trying to shoot down your obviously well intentioned post, but it’s a really complex undertaking.

Good for background sounds, not usable for decoders.

Greg

Thanks Greg,

I didn’t realize that it was anything more then stereo. Background noise is definitely an issue. GE’s have extremely noisy compressors, and obviously wind becomes a factor as you pick up speed. I tried some recordings with a Sony PCM-D50 and didn’t have much success. My GoPro videos have far better sound.

Just out of curiosity, do the decoders have dynamic brakes and transition sounds in their libraries?

Shane

The units I use have 32 separate sound channels that mix down to 2 separate audio ouputs, so you have 32 volume controls, 32 balance controls and 1 master volume.

So, yes, dynamic brakes, transition sounds, air pumps, spitter valves, dynamo, and keep going until you get to 32…

You can actually download the QSI program that has the screens that show what the 32 sounds are (change between loco types)… The Quantum CV manager is a free download from the qsisolutions.com site.

It comes out very realistic, since it is actual recorded sounds of the actual devices on the actual loco.

Greg