Large Scale Central

Reading is one of my other hobbies

I was telling an associate that my WW2 histories seam to be going in reverse, timewise, I started with a book about the Kamakaze tactics at the end of the war, went on to Typhoon Cobra, the the battle off Samar now Guadalcanal, and I have Day of Infamy by Walter Lord waiting in the wings, all of which preceed the other so its like traveling backards in time.

If anyone is interested in reading the Hornfischer books, I really have to recommend reading the latest Neptunes Inferno before Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, as many of the same people feature from one book to the other, plus theres the opportunty to read about how the tactics shifted from 1942 to 1944 and what a difference those changes made.

Steve Featherkile said:
I suppose I was referring to 19th Century academic language, in which the writer was trying to impress other academics, as was Mahan. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Even 21st century academic language is stifling.
Oh.

Well, I couldn’t agree more. It’s dreadful. You can actually watch a younger sibling who had been a pretty good writer in high school become worse and worse as he progresses through university until he gets his doctorate and becomes an incoherant ass, poor fellow …

Go ahead - ask me how I know this. That academic babble, yesterday and today, hardly qualifies as writing at all.

Steve Featherkile said:

Bit by bit, I’m working my way through Mahan’s The Influence of Sea Power on History. 19th Century language puts me to sleep.

If you want one to sleep on try Winston Churchills WWII set.

Dave Marconi said:
Steve Featherkile said:

Bit by bit, I’m working my way through Mahan’s The Influence of Sea Power on History. 19th Century language puts me to sleep.

If you want one to sleep on try Winston Churchills WWII set.

I read The Gathering Storm in 9th Grade. Of course I was younger then, and my tastes were more eclectic. :stuck_out_tongue:

Steve, there are a few more volumes to the set

Dave Marconi said:
Steve, there are a few more volumes to the set
Yeah, someday.... :P

Have I mentioned the rule that applies to how far one is “obligated” to read even a book that is utterly uninteresting?

No farther than the number arrived at: 100 minus present age = x.
In my case that is now page 33! Any book that shows up from the library I read the dust jacket first, a simple precaution.

If a book doesn’t hold my attention past page one, I put it back.

I guess that has something to do with attention span deficit. :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue:

I got a Kindle Touch a couple of months ago and really enjoy reading on it, but still check out books from the library(also from them on the Kindle).

I finished “In the Heart of the Sea” just before I left on a trip to Boston via Amtrak, killed two books on the trip, one I took Max Brooks “The Zombie Survivalist Guide” and one I bought in Boston “And the Sea Shall Embrace Them” about the 1854 sinking of the SS Arctic off Cape Race, where only 88 out of 400 survived, not a single woman or child among them, it was a real horror story. Almost bought “Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter” in Chicago, but was nixed.

H.J., what I’m reading right now might interest you…

In 1954, E.P. Dutton of New York published the memoir of an Austrian alpinist (I know, you’re a Swiss…:wink: who had been on a German exploratory expedition into the Himalayas in 1939 in preparation for an assault on a peak called Nanga Parbat the following year.

On his return down from the mountains, he found himself in India, which was then, of course British territory, just as the UK had declared war on Germany. He was interned in a camp by apologetic local officials, and after several abortive attempts, in 1943 he finally escaped for keeps, into Tibet, where after many adventures he became an advisor/tutor to the young Dalai Lama.

Only in 1950, at the time of the Chinese invasion, were he, the Dalai Lama, and many others obliged to leave Tibet.

The author had been an Olympic skiier on the Austrian team, and had also made a name for himself as a climber by assaulting and winning over the famous North Face of The Eiger (You’ll know of that: 2000 metres of vertical rock.)

This climb was illegal - the Swiss authorities had declared it off-limits because it was considered impossible, a real mankiller. Many had lost their lives in the attempt.

His story is a fascinating account of life at all levels in the ‘Hidden Kingdom’ prior to the Communist takeover. Tibet has always held a great fascination for me, ever since I did a high school project on this exotic land, and arouynd the same time read accounts of other Himalayan adventures, such as the first climb up Everest and Annapurna, and as a cross-country skiier I used to ski an area in Ontario called Dhaulighari, after Annapurna and Everest’s neighbouring peak.

After the publication of his book, the author became known internationally, and visited America on speaking engagements several times.

On Saturday at my favourite used bookstore, his old book ‘fell off the shelf’ into my hands. I’ve been rivetted to it ever since…

Heinrich Harrer: “Seven Years in Tibet”, Hardcover, 314 pages, illustrated with 40 b/w photographs, EP Dutton, New York, 1954.

I saw the movie version of “Seven Years in Tibet” I thought it should have been called “Seven Years in a Theater” …that’s how slow it was.

Almost done reading "Dreadnought: Britain, Germany, and the Coming of the Great War " by Robert Massie, a massive history about the naval rivalry between Germany and Britain beginning in the mid 19th century and culminating with the start of WW1. While the books title indicates its about the HMS Dreadnought, which was such a game changer in its design that it instantly made every other warship on earth obsolete and sparked an arms race. It is really about the geo-politics and personalities in the German and British governments, very interesting read even with its 800+ page girth. I have its follow up “Castles of Steel” about the naval battles of WW1 waiting in the wings.

Victor Smith said:
I saw the movie version of "Seven Years in Tibet" I thought it should have been called "Seven Years in a Theater" ...that's how slow it was.
Yup. Lousy movie material, not a drama by any means... but a very informative and interesting book.

JLF,

Yep, the Swiss probably said: “It’s our mountain, stay off!” But Harrer was in that first group of four who actually made it. Prior to that many tried and died.
BTW there are now about 30 routes up that wall, some of them extremely tricky. The record on that original route - the very first success took 3 days - is now 2hrs and 28 min IOW just like a Sunday afternoon outing. :open_mouth: :wink: :smiley:

FYI there is an interesting 2008 movie about a face based 1930’s failed attempt the scale the Eiger called North Face (Nordwand) but if you want a fun but not so fact based movie try The Eiger Sanction with Clint (is this chair taken?) Eastwood.

I just finished reading No Easy Day, by Mark Owen (not his real name). A true spell binder. One sitting.

I’ve met a few SEALs in my time, and count one as a friend. These guys are heros. Very quiet, almost shy, most of them. Everyone that I have met has been a true gentleman.

I’ve never managed to finish “War and Peace” even though I’ve STARTED it about 5 times. For some reason "classic’ Russian novelists seemed to enjoy using 20 words where 2 would do… kinda like lawyers.

Currently, I’m wading through Clive Barkers “Imajica”… his “Weaveworld”, and “The Great and Secret Show” were better.

I also found James Bradley’s “The Imperial Cruise” pretty darn good. Sometimes what’s hidden under the facade of “history” is a whole lot more interesting than the official version

Since this is a RR forum, I’ll recommend Clive Cussler’s Isaac bell detective series (“The Wrecker”, “The Chase”, etc) for a good rip roaring relaxing read.

Also, if you get the chance, Gore Vidal’s “Julian”, “Lincoln” and “1876” are all really good, if very, very long.

Hey Steve: I saw Mark Owen presenting his book and visuals on this material on TV a couple of weeks back, on 60 minutes or something similar. Great stuff! I’m sure his book must be riveting. And, yes, I agree with you, Mark came across as a real gentleman, a sweet guy.

What a day he had, and what a way to make a living, huh? I’ll bet he sells an awful lot of those books!

Victor Smith said:
Almost done reading "Dreadnought: Britain, Germany, and the Coming of the Great War " by Robert Massie, a massive history about the naval rivalry between Germany and Britain beginning in the mid 19th century and culminating with the start of WW1. While the books title indicates its about the HMS Dreadnought, which was such a game changer in its design that it instantly made every other warship on earth obsolete and sparked an arms race. It is really about the geo-politics and personalities in the German and British governments, very interesting read even with its 800+ page girth. I have its follow up “Castles of Steel” about the naval battles of WW1 waiting in the wings.

Update, I finished this book only a week ago :open_mouth: :lol: Holy cats was it thick, now getting into the even thicker “Castles of Steel” hopefully I can finish it before the end of the year.

(http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320470021l/860850.jpg)