Large Scale Central

Railroadyness only in my dreams

Yeah Kevin, going to be a good bit of dirt, and rocks. I don’t think the dirt will be an issue, since my source is directly across the road and he has stock pile. The rock on the other hand may prove harder. I’m set on natural rock. I’ll have to do some checking around before spring to find a source. The dozer is almost ready. I have all the new parts. Old parts are almost all cleaned and painted. Just have to put it back together and in.

Here are the two 11 x 17 plans I’ll be using to layout the lines for the walls. First I’ll use stakes and string to create the grid over the ground. then I’ll transfer the design with spray paint. Then the fun of rock stacking starts.

Robertsdale only-sht 1

Robertsdale only-sht 2

Well, a bit of dreaming came true today. Since I was 12, I have dreamed of having 7.5" gauge track. To day that dream came true as I hauled enough material to lay 300’ of track from Kent OH. This included 924 plastic ties, 600" of code 1000 rail, 3000 Stainless lagscrews, fishplates nuts and bolts. This is the same place that Gary used for his Big Little Short Line. In fact I found out that the facility that I picked it up from in Ohio are the ones that produce it for the California distributor he uses. The guy said they keep getting busier and showed me lots of new things they are working on as well as three nice locomotives. Very exciting to have them in my “back yard”. I’m looking at a few things to put on the track right now but have’t yet decided to pull the trigger. Time to build a second section…

First 7.5" track

Cool!

And the wife actually let you put that in the living room?..(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Randy Lehrian Jr. said:

Well, a bit of dreaming came true today. Since I was 12, I have dreamed of having 7.5" gauge track. To day that dream came true as I hauled enough material to lay 300’ of track from Kent OH. This included 924 plastic ties, 600" of code 1000 rail, 3000 Stainless lagscrews, fishplates nuts and bolts. This is the same place that Gary used for his Big Little Short Line. In fact I found out that the facility that I picked it up from in Ohio are the ones that produce it for the California distributor he uses. The guy said they keep getting busier and showed me lots of new things they are working on as well as three nice locomotives. Very exciting to have them in my “back yard”. I’m looking at a few things to put on the track right now but have’t yet decided to pull the trigger. Time to build a second section…

Hey Randy,

I just spotted this post tonight…Happy to see you are starting on your 7.5 inch gauge railroad :)! I ee you are going to use fishplates instead of the Train Mountain joiners like I did. If you don’t already have a drilling fixture for the code 1000 rail for the fishplates, there are a couple for sale on Discover Live Steam website. Pretty handy considering you will be drilling quite a bit of rail. You might also think about getting a “portable bandsaw” for cutting rail onsite. Milwaukee makes a nice one (I use this one). I assume you will be staggering the rail joints (about 10-12 inches is what I was recommended to use). My railroad is portable, so I didn’t stagger the joints…I actually use it as “sectional track” for my Big Little Short Line. I have all my sections cut now and ready to lay.

Again, congratulations on getting into the “hernia gauge”. Have fun with this :)!

Randy,

Just catching up with your dreams. Nice!

It can be done! I have a mental picture of Andy and Jane Clarke standing at Marty and Carrie Cozad’s. They were on top of the hill by the gazebo and you could see the wheels turning in Andy’s head. 12 years later and most of it is on the ground and operational. I agree with Fred, it takes a lot of friends to keep it fun and make it happen.

Exciting to see the 7.5 bug hit and you are going to be quite the rebel to not go to 7.25 in Pennsylvania, but the World does evolve. Please heed the advice of some and start a building log. We all dream your dreams and want to see the progress. You’d be surprised, even pictures of the garage addition becoming extremely interesting.

Maybe your new slogan should be “GOT ROCKS?”

(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Ken Brunt said:

And the wife actually let you put that in the living room?..(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Yeah Ken, she’s a keeper. I don’t see it much different than my sons toys all over the room.

Gary Armitstead said:

I see you are going to use fishplates instead of the Train Mountain joiners like I did. If you don’t already have a drilling fixture for the code 1000 rail for the fishplates, there are a couple for sale on Discover Live Steam website. Pretty handy considering you will be drilling quite a bit of rail.

You might also think about getting a “portable bandsaw” for cutting rail onsite. Milwaukee makes a nice one (I use this one).

I assume you will be staggering the rail joints (about 10-12 inches is what I was recommended to use).

Again, congratulations on getting into the “hernia gauge”. Have fun with this :)!

I prefer the look of the fishplates, but for a portable set up I can see where the joiners would be good. I’ve almost got that tool but I set up a fixture on my drill press that works pretty well. The band saw seems like a good idea down the road. I’m planning on having the first 300 feet to be some what sectional too. Its going to be moved tow or three times. Their last move will be to a siding or yard that won’t be so high traffic. I’ll stagger the permanent mainline track. Having lots of fun. Got everything transferred from the car to the basement and got a second section assembled.

Ric Golding said:

Exciting to see the 7.5 bug hit and you are going to be quite the rebel to not go to 7.25 in Pennsylvania, but the World does evolve.

Please heed the advice of some and start a building log. We all dream your dreams and want to see the progress. You’d be surprised, even pictures of the garage addition becoming extremely interesting.

Maybe your new slogan should be “GOT ROCKS?”

(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Thanks Rick, as stated it’s been a dream for a long time. I have to go with 7.5" the math just works perfect this way. Seems to be lots of Ohio clubs are 7.5 and those are closer to me anyway here in N.West PA. I’ll start a log soon. Here’s a few pictures to eases you curiosity.

So as I was pushing wheelbarrows full of ties boxes from the car into the basement I kept thinking, gee, I could use a railroad. A line along the a redone side walk is in the grander plan.

Long way to haul

As for the shop addition this is where is is and will stay for winter. I just got the last big thing done on my track loader today and I should have it ready to the backfilling after work this week. I may get a load of b2 delivered inside and spread out before things get bad too. In the spring I’ll pour the floors and throw up the framing.

Shop foundation

And yes, there are going to be lots of tri-axles full of rocks visiting. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Your picture of the black plastic ties on the light carpet, brings back an old memory of Dwight Ennis, I think, setting up a 1:20 train for Christmas on white carpeting. After take down, he had a marking of the black plastic from the wheels of where the track was. Don’t believe the bride was very pleased. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Nice block work! You are a man of many talents.

I don’t know … Hmmmm …I think he has doll house furniture sitting next to Las Vegas creek track …(https://www.flickr.com/photos/61372008@N00/37969794882)(https://www.flickr.com/photos/61372008@N00/37969794882)

Wow Randy! You rock! What a great plot of land for a railroad (or two). Plus a great start on the shop. Can’t wait to see some progress pictures of everything. Congrats on the “dream come true!”

-Kevin.