Large Scale Central

R/C advice needed

Thanks Dave, I was finally comprehending the need for (and ordering) that one, just as you were replying!

It’ll be a couple months till mine come in (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif), so I’d very much like to hear what voltage you can go down to, and still get reliable control. I’m particularly interested in knowing if it can go down to 5v (as the specs say, yet contradicted by the label in the photo, you know how that goes), for that would permit my current 4x AAA battery arrangement in the design. But if it needs 7, I’ll probably have to go with 2 LiPo cells.

Thanks again,

Cliff

Cliff and Dave,

I’ve purchased several of the LED-type controllers like the ones you both reference. I use them to remotely power my Reindeer Pass rail cleaner and have installed the controller in a couple of other cleaners. They work fine. I typically use the Full, 1/4, and 1/2 settings. The one negative thing that all of them have is that they have a lousy range and operate very inconsistently. For the most part, you have to be right on top of the device for the transmitter to work.

Even though this a big issue, I don’t think there is any cheaper way to remotely control a motor. Remember, no reverse.

Doc Watson

Cliff - I did some tests this AM and have the unit working reliably down to 5 volts - it will work below that but you may not trigger a 5 volt relay.

Speaking of relays, make sure you use a 5 volt one… as to range, the unit with the three DIY keys worked well up to 25 feet across my basement.

Not bad!

Also, don’t leave out the diodes - if you do it will still work, but only for a while as the power transistors on the little receiver will die after they are hit by back EMF a few times.

dave

Don, that’s great confirmation, and a neat application! But see Dave’s article, which addresses reversing.

That’s great to hear Dave, thanks very much! And you bet I’ll use those components.

On a related note, I’m really kicking myself because I have an extra controller from a work-related project, with 6 DIY keys. With 6, one might be able to set up a diode matrix to control as many functions.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QQ3BGVC

Another related note, Andy from Deltang got back with me, answered my questions on what components would work. I’ll report later about that, after taking some time looking into it.

To cover the bases, I’m also keeping a lookout on the conventional RC front, because I’d started several inquires. One answer recommended this TINY car / control package. It’s so small I think you could adapt it to a handcar. The tech rep said to just hack it, and either use the motor in there, or use my own.

http://www.microflight.com/Online-Catalog/R-C-Toys/Micro-Rover-900Mhz

However, theie larger vehicle (still small) really has nice smooth throttle control (check the videos). Not sure if it reverses? Haven’t looked long enough yet, and dinner bell’s ringing. But the whole package is $50.

http://www.microflight.com/Online-Catalog/R-C-Toys/ZenWheels-MicroCar-Silver

Later,

C

Here’s my thinking after a long rainy Saturday pecking away at this. I’ll still be investigating the LED controller approach for a lower-budget solution for a small rail car, because it has so much bang for the buck. But for longer range and more robust connectivity, and after a lot more research, I’m leaning toward the Deltang system.

I’ve been learning more about it, and have had some good responses to my questions. In a nutshell, it would tentatively consist of: Rx41d receiver, Tx21 transmitter, and 2 1S 160mah LiPo batteries.

All of that, including the shipping from the UK, is $78 US (with the Tx being in kit form). And, from what I can dimly figure out at this point, there should be opportunity for headlights, horn and taillight, all controllable from the handheld. And for a few bucks more, the transmitter can select from up to 12 trains.

Lots more to figure out, but here’s my initial schematic.

Just an update. I purchased the Deltang components, and here’s the receiver. It’s the tiny thing between my thumb and the cat’s head.

CJ

Cliff I just installed one of Tonys Vipers into my Street car. Im very happy with it, easy to install and I use it with my Planet T5 controller.That can be bought for 50 or so dollars. You can use other RC plan controllers as well. I also use the TX from Tony for my Forney and also love it for a controller. Its a nice small size.

This might be a dumb question but do any of these tiny controllers have triggers for bell and whistle?

Doc Watson

Don.

I make a number of different TX hand-pieces.

This one

has five sound triggers as well as direction set and speed control.

Not cheap though.

Life is a trade off.

If you want it to work reliably with very good range It costs.

If you want it cheap, no problem. Just not from me.

The MTroniks VIPER ESC is just that. No sound triggers. They do make a plug in single channel 2 x function sound trigger pcb that will do what you want.