Large Scale Central

Precision Board Structures

Hmmm … Black Powder Gun company : Wiley Coyote proprietor

Denis

Do you have a link or any resent photos of your layout ?

BUILDING No 2

Thanks Guys for Your ideas, they were definitely thought provoking.

Thank you for your complimentary words

Untitled by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

Back Side

Wow Dennis, sorry I’ve missed this thread ---- AMAZING!!

I admire how you keep finding new techniques, and appreciate how you share what you learn.

On your 2nd building, I suppose you’re going light and quick with the laser for all the “seams” and other grooves. I just looked up their page on engraving, very cool.

https://precisionboard.com/sign-making/laser-engraving-and-precision-board-hdu/

I’ll be watching more carefully now!

Cliff

First coat of paint, I do 3 plus coats of a good quality of spray paint. And Brush with paint brush between coats, so the brush will set the paint in areas the spray can’t go.

I like to do a dark brown, to give the joints and as the paint fades a little it will stay darker than getting light colored. I try to keep them sprayed with a UV stopper , but still the sun can be a crisp killer.

Dennis: Thanks for showing your approach to painting these buildings. Any detail you can provide will be helpful to me, and maybe others. Looking good so far. I like the 3D brick trim around the doors and windows. Nice!

2nd Structure

Thanks Jim, This is a very user friendly product that is capable to stay outside.

Front side all painted with spray can, and brushed.

2nd Structure

Full painted

I use the basic acrylic HOBBY paint for all the coloring of the brick. The green is again spray can paint, also brushed after spraying.

Great looking building, Dennis. You’re paint job on the brick is amazing. How is the surface texture on the brick created? It looks very authentic.

Now there you go!

Beauteous!

Roof Time

Well now I need to do the roof, I always make my structures to set outside all or any time. In most cases I prefer to use a 29 gage Aluminum sheet

for the substrate. For me it is the most simple and most economical. As owning a steel fab business we have a supply of small pieces as kept scrap.

This type of sheet can easily be cut with a good set of snips. I cut and brake (BEND) to fit the roof.

Since the aluminum is coated, I sand / rough up the coating so the paint and glue will adhere much better.

Shows the under side painted on the edges or overhang so anytime the view is looking up, I did not want to see the white color.

This picture shows the outside of the roof after it has been bent and fitted to the precision board, and the slick painted surface has had

the slickum all removed.

Lines have been drawn on for the purpose of laying the shake shingles, just a reference lines, to keep a little straighter.

Picture of a box of split shingles, ready for installation.

About how much is a sheet of this , delivered? UPS will deliver a4’x8’ sheet of this?i will have to look for a distributor near me, thanks . Great work

Pete

I buy it in 2 ft x 5 ft size, 6 sheets at a time is shipped via UPS. with shipping from Calif. to Missouri the cost is 6.50 per sqft.

2x5 ft sheets are so much easier to handle

Precision Board density is measured in pounds, I use 15 lb --1/2" thick .

I do use a local dealer, I pay them they order it it gets delivered to me, your local dealer may stock 1/2" mine stocks 3/4" and thicker.

thanks for question

Dennis

I use LEXEL glus on top of the walls to bond the Aluminum and the Precision Board together, I use 23 gauge headless pins at a slight angle to help hold, and to prevent the need to clamp and wait 24 hours.

The picture shows glue in the circles.

This picture shows the aluminum roofing after it has been glued and pinned to the PB. (precision Board) Lines are placed on the roof for

reference lines for shingle placement.

Here is 50 minutes of shingle laying

Thanks for walking us through your methods Dennis. I always learn something useful from your posts. And of course your building looks awesome!

Thanks Dennis, I was prepared for sticker shock!!! I will look and see if anyone close sells it, might be a little less for me since I am in AZ. Hope to some day come close to your craftsmanship. Thanks for the answers

Pete

There are several dealers in the Phoenix area, I am sure someone there can accommodate your needs.

Jim and Pete thanks for your compliments.

Dennis

You can buy rolls of aluminum roof flashing at the big box stores (Home Depot and Lowe’s).