Large Scale Central

Photobucket

Korm Kormsen said:

Tom,

as i’m german, i got me a hoster from over there. https://www.domaindiscount24.com/en?page=main

but i think, there are enough others here, who got stable providers from the US or Canada.

ask Greg, for instance.

Thanks Korm. I am also interested in getting pictures from iCloud to here and storage here with $$ donation to follow. Anyone doing that???

Doc Tom

I use flicker, or how ever its spelled. A similar thread over on MRH suggested that people start using Google Drive to host and store photos. Drive has 15GB of storage for free.

Korm Kormsen said:

Tom,

as i’m german, i got me a hoster from over there. https://www.domaindiscount24.com/en?page=main

but i think, there are enough others here, who got stable providers from the US or Canada.

ask Greg, for instance.

I use a German (owned) host as well: 1and1.com They are not the cheapest but for over 10 years have been super reliable with excellent technical support when needed. I pay about $40 per calendar quarter. They like to get paid by direct debit which some people shy away from. Never any issues on space or traffic. It includes several domains and as many sub-domains as you can create plus multiple Secure FTP accounts so that you can share the space with family and close friends. It houses 5 websites, one for each family member plus the railroad. Extra domains are pretty cheap as well.

Like Korm mentioned, I back EVERYTHING up locally, and that is backed up as well. By hosting photos in my own domain and having local copies I could move them to a different provider without breaking any links. For example, my most recent pic is http://lsc.cvsry.com/Post5/LightingProjectJune17-23.JPG - should I change hosts all I need to do is maintain the domain CVSRY.COM with the sub domain LSC and create the same directory structure and upload all the content to the new host.

I use SyncBack to do a full backup of the entire host every two or three months. It uses FTP to download EVERYTHING. Works great and has saved my butt a few times from operator error.

I will be closing my account there, no way I am going to pay that much for 3rd party hosting. They can kiss my arse!

I am closing my PB acct too Mike.

TANSTAAFL.

For the Heinlein illiterate, “There Ain’t No Such Thing As A Free Lunch”

Steve Featherkile said:

TANSTAAFL.

For the Heinlein illiterate, “There Ain’t No Such Thing As A Free Lunch”

No, but the appetizer was quite tasty while it lasted! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Well when it says you can store photos for free and then start wanting money from ya what would you do?..

I am closing my account with Money Bucket and slowly downloading my favorite pictures from there tom computer to print on paper. Seen the light and will be a direct poster to the fora I participate in. Doc Tom

Tom Grabenstein said:

… to the fora …

You gotta love a man who knows his Latin!

John Passaro said:

Tom Grabenstein said:

… to the fora …

You gotta love a man who knows his Latin!

Thanks John. Four years of it in a Catholic High School in the late 60’s. It helped a lot during the angst of medical school.

Doc ATom

So when supposedly is this taking place because I have received no such notice and all of my photos are still showing like they are supposed to.

Vincent D’Agostino said:
So when supposedly is this taking place because I have received no such notice and all of my photos are still showing like they are supposed to.

I received the notice mostly because of the third party sharing… ( posting photos to here is all I use it for). So if you share a lot of photos like I have then eventually they will get ya…

Tom Grabenstein said:

I am closing my account with Money Bucket and slowly downloading my favorite pictures from there tom computer to print on paper. Seen the light and will be a direct poster to the fora I participate in. Doc TomTom

Tom fortunately I have all my photos in a file on my computer. I always loaded them to photo bucket to share here and only here. So last nite I went thru all of em and deleted every one of them now it is empty, just need to figure out how to close the Acct.

We closed our account today. Its due to just could not get the add’s stopped. They now are going over our photos every time we moved the mouse. It so slow to load anymore anyway… Been with Photobucket from almost the time they started out. We had Win.95 around that time.

Noel Wilson said:

We closed our account today. Its due to just could not get the add’s stopped. They now are going over our photos every time we moved the mouse. It so slow to load anymore anyway… Been with Photobucket from almost the time they started out. We had Win.95 around that time.

Noel how do you close the acct. ?

Travis Dague said:

Noel Wilson said:

Noel how do you close the acct. ?

Had to up date this due to was able to get back in and received a e-mail stating that we have 7 to 10 days to change our minds. lol.

So here is how to get to your Account.

Log in if you can with all of the add’s going over the top of the log in box. Then look for up in the right top .

( Account.) Hit on that.

A new page will come up and go from there showing, Account Status.

This give you a list on the lift side like …

Acct. type, Member since, Total files uploaded, Storage used, Delete Acct.

Hit on Delete Acct.

A box will come up and asking what you want done. Then you have to fill out a reason why you want to delete this Acct.

Again…

You/I have 7 to 10 days to change your mind on the mail i got from them. Hope this helps. Noel.

Holes where photos were once are showing up all over the internet. Photobucket has indeed committed suicide! Of course, if you are using it just for photo storage, then you may be OK if you don’t have much up there. But, if you are like most of us, who used it to set up third-party sharing for images, or embedding in another site, then you are effectively screwed.

This sort of thing has happened with many other site of this type. As pointed out before, they either go defunct, taking all your content with them; or they start to make money on ads, and when that doesn’t feed their greed enough, they start charging for their “free image hosting”. I have been bitten by this before, so I have kept my images on my Mac in iPhoto (Now PHOTOS) and just used Photobucket for IMG and Embed coding for posting on sites I participate in. I will never trust an image hosting site again!

Andrew Moore said:

Holes where photos were once are showing up all over the internet. Photobucket has indeed committed suicide! Of course, if you are using it just for photo storage, then you may be OK if you don’t have much up there. But, if you are like most of us, who used it to set up third-party sharing for images, or embedding in another site, then you are effectively screwed.

This sort of thing has happened with many other site of this type. As pointed out before, they either go defunct, taking all your content with them; or they start to make money on ads, and when that doesn’t feed their greed enough, they start charging for their “free image hosting”. I have been bitten by this before, so I have kept my images on my Mac in iPhoto (Now PHOTOS) and just used Photobucket for IMG and Embed coding for posting on sites I participate in. I will never trust an image hosting site again!

Like you, Andrews, I only use them to show photos on the internet mostly. I have them backed up on a external drive and DVDS. So we find usually find a host, like MLS or others to use until they make growing pains changes. Then they don’t seem to need us anymore as a used to show there site or go to show other there site.

A server is just like our computers. When they go down or changes made, they stop working for us and you lost everything. Always need some kind of a back up in hand.

Thanks Noel for the help. I am currently deleting all of my photos and albums. When I do delete the acct and have to answer why…look out. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif). have you thought about where you gonna store photos other than the train shed?.. I would rather pay Bob here than a site like Photo. F*%$#T…