Large Scale Central

Painting and Details

Well that sucked, had to go back and add pics after accidently deleting file folder in freight shed…Doh!..

Oh the wonders of the computer age. :wink: And I’m old enough that sometimes I really wonder …

… what I did.

I add all the detail before painting. It is easier. Glue smudges, bent fasteners, and other things can be corrected. Then your ladders, NBW’s and other such things can get a slight weathering. Then the final dull coat applied.

When I built one of my tenders I tried to makes sure everything was attached before painting.

When painting, I removed the trucks and taped over the couplers, air hose, and the coal area.

Wow Bruce, That puts mine to shame…That is a awesome looking tender!..

Did you do a build log on this project?

Travis, your tender looks great. I really like the sloped top pieces.

As for the width difference, I wouldn’t sweat it. Since different car builders built to different plans, and railroads would buy up equipment from other railroads, differences like that would be expected. A 3 foot gauge railroad south of where I live, sold a passenger car to the 40 inch gauge railroad that became the trolley line that went by my house. I would guess that the 3 foot gauge car was a bit narrower then the 40 inch gauge cars. Yes, the railroad swapped out the trucks so they could use it.

Travis Dague said:

Wow Bruce, That puts mine to shame…That is a awesome looking tender!..

No, not at all. You have done some really fine work with wood!

Travis Dague said:

Did you do a build log on this project?

Yes, I did. But, I would hardly recommend going there as it is rather lengthy. Plus, you seem to have mastered the woodworking!

Bruce where did you get the brass nuts and bolts?. I have white metal castings from ozark, never seen brass ones before? I also am contemplating on how to do the rivets. Since this is a “steel” tank I want those details too. Just not sure how to go about it in wood. Escutcheon pins are too big…

Travis Dague said:

Bruce where did you get the brass nuts and bolts?. I have white metal castings from ozark, never seen brass ones before? I also am contemplating on how to do the rivets. Since this is a “steel” tank I want those details too. Just not sure how to go about it in wood. Escutcheon pins are too big…

Travis,

I tried to find where I got that stuff, but it has all changed! It used to be “Small Parts”, but now it’s via Amazon. Then there was “Scale Model Fasteners”, and they’ve changed as well.

I agree with your feeling on escutcheon pins - I have also used small pins (from somewhere that I can’t remember any more). My “rivets” were embossed on styrene via a punch; very tedious, but I loved the results.

I have used pins, and HO track nails for rivets. Its time consuming to drill and place each one, but then it is a hobby and some parts just take time.

https://www.microfasteners.com/self-tapping-sheet-metal-and-wood-screws-hex-head-lag-screws-brass.html