Large Scale Central

Operations discussion on LSC Wiki

Fred Ottusch said:
At some crossings either "smash boards" or stop signs are in place where the crew upon stopping must contact the train dispr for permission to pass thus eliminating the need for costly signals.
Fred,

Aha, that sounds logical to me.

I’ve never seen a “smash board”, what does it look like?

Up until now, the IPP&W has had the clearance as a “Default”; with the RP&M having to ask the IPP&W dispatcher for clearance.

BUT… as in any situation; things can go wrong.

Usually the problem is that IPP&W crews forget the train order, and just keep rolling until, they suddenly see it occupied.
Other times the dispatcher has been left to his own devices and been to the bheer fridge once to often. This is what finally caused the worst “Incident”.

So far, the “Gate” idea is the simplest, and the signal option is the best liked.

Depriving the dispatcher of his key to the bheer fridge is the least appreciated action suggested......!!!!!
Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Fred Ottusch said:
At some crossings either "smash boards" or stop signs are in place where the crew upon stopping must contact the train dispr for permission to pass thus eliminating the need for costly signals.
Fred,

Aha, that sounds logical to me.

I’ve never seen a “smash board”, what does it look like?

Smash board is nothing more than a big gate swung across the tracks blocking a train from passing until the "board/gate’ is swung back out of the way.

Another type of “Smash board” was just as it is called…a paddle shaped piece of wood, that when activated to “Protect” a situation (Crossing/bridge, etc) litterly SMASHED against the cab of the loco.

It was not meant to try to actually stop the train; but to wake the crew up or bring their attention to the signal, which when showing red, activated the “Smash board”

I saw one of these shown in a Trains Magazine artcle on a line down in Florida. It was protecting a lift or swing bridge. This type of protection, I’m sure, is little used today, but was at one time.

“Smash Board” was the term I was trying to bring to the front of the grey matter. Douh! , I struggle so hard to communicate.