Large Scale Central

New Zimo system

Greg

I visited Dan last night and he was showing me his new toy!

WOW that is one nice unit … does so much …

I hope you enjoy it!

I am… I got a second set of connectors from Train-Li, and I just unplug the unit from outside and plug it in (with the stock power supply) in my shop to play with it.

I also came up with a nice simple charging system using a small supply and an inexpensive digital amp meter, so I don’t need to drag the cabs out to the MX10 to charge them. I also found I could charge at a much lower voltage than the 30 volts on the CAN bus, less heat in the cabs same recharge time.

It’s not cheap, but a very flexible system, and I’ve found having the turnouts on the same screen as the loco and using the touch screen to toggle them makes that part easier than any other DCC system. Controlling turnouts has always flummoxed many people, the NCE was very easy but this is easier and I can also look at the cab and see the alignment of a turnout without being there.

Since my layout is on 3 sides of a house, that’s very helpful.

Are you considering getting one?

Greg

I don’t think so.

It’s beyond my brain capacity.

Also at this point in time I’m not running trains very often … just to maintain the track.

Dan is just down the street and I can always go experiment with his!

Well, a last minute software update has finally yielded consisting… was able to run a 4 unit consist yesterday.

Still only universal consisting, and cannot “turn” locos to run backwards without resorting to tweaking the direction bit in CV29, but finally my switch decoders work and the consisting is useable…

Time to start outfitting my locos and trains… need more QSI decoders…

Greg

Wouldn’t Zimos work better?

No, this is Universal Consisting, and it works irrespective of any advanced capabilities of the decoder.

I do want Advanced Consisting, which has additional features.

But in either case, this is a shortcoming of the firmware in the Zimo controller, not the decoders.

You might want to read the part on consisting at the bottom of this page:

http://www.elmassian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=106:dcc-systems&catid=55:dcc-general&Itemid=131

Regards, Greg