Large Scale Central

New railroad under construction

Here is a new pic, getting my Countess and my friends Earl ready for a steam up this Saturday if it doesn’t get totally rained out. Mike

Looks like a great layout Mike

Here are some updated pics. I have completed the inner track plan and have started to backfill the outer parts of the layout with peat. Its a slow but steady project. Its the perfect layout for small live steamers like the Sammie and Bertie from Roundhouse. Mike

Here is Bertie right before I started to back fill the line.

That looks great Mike!

Once the peat settles and I top off the area, then I can go back thru and ballest the track and use the rowlands mixture to cement it in place and encourage moss to grow. I put my rock(plastic) waterfall fountain in the middle, looks pretty good actually! I wasn’t sure it would look right, pics later this evening. Mike

Very good, I have ‘checked off’ the required Windmill for an Official G layout!

We all have one … I do.

Nice looking railroad my friend.

Once the wind picks up I’m going out to winnow some ballast.

John

One has to have a Windmill! That one was a kit, picked it up at a big swap meet held in Portland, Indiana a year ago this coming Friday. You find anything for antique tractors, hit miss engines and stuff like this. Mike

Coming along nicely Mike!

Here are some more progress pics, finished off the outer part of the layout with cyprus mulch and salvaged ballest from the old railway below. The windmill got relocated to the other side of the railway area near the depot. Once I add 2 potted dwarf Alberta spruce trees to the area in the middle, I will backfill it with just mulch. This will allow easy removal of the rock waterfall fountain for winter storage. Layout is perfect for the LGB Euro trains. Really thinking of selling my 3 live steamers to finance one RH Billy that I can put a slo mo enertia device in as a derailment and fall from 4’ up to a rocky ground is not an option. Billy is also more in line with the Euro look and building the kit, I can go with red frames and green body, kind of like the LGB Stainz engine. Mike

looks great . . . . . (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Layout is perfect for the LGB Euro trains.

Ah, more of those LGB Field Railway cars! Yes, they work great. See this post for more pics
http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/26950/lgb-feldbahn-scale/view/post_id/339703.

Really thinking of selling my 3 live steamers to finance one RH Billy that I can put a slo mo enertia device in as a derailment and fall from 4’ up to a rocky ground is not an option. Billy is also more in line with the Euro look

Mike, have you looked at the Regner Easy Line locos. Lumberjack in particular is a geared loco and runs a little slower than a direct drive. There’s also the Emma kit:

http://www.thetraindepartment.com/regner/regner-standard-line/#

My friend has the Lumberjack, I dont care for it after running it and they have brass boilers. The other Regners, other than the high doller Euro engines, do not really appeal to me. For the money, I can get a Billy kit and the slo mo to help make it more of a sedate beast for less than most anything else I like. If it wasnt for the water bath to keep up gas pressure on the Frank S, he would suit the cars the best since he was built to match them. But for me to want one of those, he would need the Finescale engineering gas tank or similar in the cab of the engine. Atleast the Frank S is fairly easy to come by. Mike

Very nice Mike

I have Sammie tenativly sold. I might try to just option out Bertie with all extras and put Regner “Staniz like” lanterns on the front and back along with Walschaert’s valve gear like I did with Sammie. Cheaper route than starting completely over with a whole different engine. Glad you like the progress Devon. Mike